Here's what to look out for and buy smart, Get to know the personalities behind the team every week, The most interesting hints of what's to come. Transmission rebuild or replacement, torque converter, clutch replacement. Auto repair shop fixed for us", "check engine light comes on and goes off periodically, indicating that cat. Family focused reviews and advice for everything family car related. I have a 2000 Subaru Outback with about 100,000 miles. I replaced the thermostat, flushed and refilled the radiator. My 2000 Subaru Outback wagon, with 120,000 miles has an occasional strong gasoline smell that enters into the passenger compartment, when driving and when stopping and turning off the ignition after a trip. ON THE FREEWAY THEY BOTH 'DIE' THEN THEY BOTH COME BACK ON AGAIN. data for a specific year. It still functioned but as a precautionary move I had it replaced", "It was slipping and I replaced it myself", "Transmission blew out on the highway going 65mph. Serious limitation on beam strength", "constant lights burning out and ultimate replacement of headlight assemblies", "Keeps,coming on c no problem identIfied", "engine light never goes off no matter what the dealer mechanic does", "Check engine light almost always on, when problem is fixed, comes on again within a week or two". I have a 2000 Subaru Legacy Outback & have taken my car to the mechanic several times for the same issue but the mechanic is unable to replicate the problem because it occurs intermittently. Way to go, Subaru!!! two broken springs , struts leaking and were replaed- really pretty normal wear for the crappy roads we have here in WV", "Replaced rear struts in '16 because they just plane wore out. Had to be replaced - hard to find in the area and cost over $1,000". So what was Subaru's agenda when, in 2000, it gave us the Outback H6? They grip the of 2000 Subaru Outback owners. Cost to repair is upwards of $3,000", "had 2 head gaskets replaced due to leaking anti freeze fluid", "Second time the head gasket has failed. 2000 Subaru Outback vehicles have 5 reported problems.The most commonly reported 2000 Subaru Outback problem is: Vibration or Shudder on Acceleration Vibration or Shudder on Acceleration A vibration or shudder may be noted on acceleration. Recall List for the 2000 Subaru Outback Official recalls have been issued for the 2000 Subaru Outback by the NHTSA. Paint (fading, chalking, cracking, or peeling), loose interior and exterior trim or moldings, rust. 85,000 miles. We live rurally and need the car’s all wheel drive for the rare NC snow/ice storms. We use this as a backup car and emergency vehicle. My care has acceleration problem when uphill. Find the best used 2000 Subaru Outback near you. But when in gear at idle it idles high at 1200 then bottoms out and chuggs feeling like it will stall out and occasionally stalls while in gear aroung 3-400 rpm. SUBARU OUTBACK WAGON, YEAR 2000, MILAGE 33,000 - PROBLEM: SPEDOMETER AND TACHOMETER WORK ON AND OFF. So far I have loved this car except for the poor gas mileage. Read 2000 Subaru Outback reviews from real owners. This recall is being conducted by Airtex, not by Subaru. "The clutch went compltely out but luckily on a mountain road o that I was able to coast back to town", "I do a lot of local driving and not much highway driving. The vehicle has no problem passing smog tests and still runs strong after about 176k miles", "It's obviously true that the Subaru is known for its oil leaks; I now fill the oil and check the gas. 2000 Subaru outback. Despite having some Subaru Outback problems, the 2020 model offers a smooth ride, off-road features, and a spacious cabin. It was the original. To see how frequently 2000 Subaru Outback problems occur, check out our car reliability stats. Get 2000 Subaru Outback values, consumer reviews, safety ratings, and find cars for sale near you. get the vehicle on level ground. ", "Not quiet on road. Its all-wheel drive powertrain is a major plus on slippery roads. if the transmission torque converter is suspected a … Let our team of motoring experts keep you up to date with all of the latest issues & faults for the 2000 Subaru Outback. And the advice about fourth gear being too high at 50km/h is simply stunning. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov. Are you affected? Part was cheap, labour expensive", "I was leaking fumes from the pipe going into the gas tank. I have a 2000 Subaru Outback with the usual overheating problems. The dealer stated that the transmission was the cause of … The failure blocked the gas filler so we could not refuel the vehicle", "Could only smell gasoline under certain conditions. I have to set it back about once a week", "brake lights filed due to blowing fuse in the brake interlock switch. Replaced pipe", "The ignition coil cracked and needed to be replaced. Bluetooth), voice control commands, steering wheel controls, portable music device interface (e.g., iPod/MP3 player), backup or other camera/sensors. it has serious rust at the leading edge of each rear wheel well", "Rust has been developing around the wheel wells and on the fenders at the rear especially on the driver side. July 4, 2016, 9:52pm #1. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source increases the risk of a fire. Was a miserable trip", "The car is 19 years old and the compressor just wore out. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, he heard an abnormally loud noise from the engine as the vehicle failed to accelerate. I would try three or four times, wait a few We have gathered all of the most frequently asked questions and problems relating to the 2000 Subaru Outback in one spot to help you decide if it's a smart buy. Barnum. Fuses blow and then blow again", "Don't drive anymore cause headlight covers are glazed over and cannot see", "headlights have become yellowed and very opaque. I suspect the fuel. The worst complaints are transmission, engine, and accessories - exterior problems. Leaking transmission fluid from the gasket". Had to be towed. Our automotive experts are here to help, If you're wondering, we've probably got the answer. 2000 Subaru Outback Transmission Problems. The following chart shows … Problem came bak because it wasn't fixed right", "My mechanic reports that there is oil leaking out of the head gasket on the driver's side head. Airtex Products LP (Airtex) is recalling certain model E8598M, E8518M, E8600M, E8596M, and E8597M fuel pumps manufactured July 26, 2013, and July 29, 2013 and used as aftermarket replacements on Subaru Baja's, Outback's and Legacy's. Suspension Problem on the 2000 SUBARU OUTBACK. Totaled the engine". How To, off-road tips and adventure travel destinations, Not just utes. 2000 Subaru outback. YOU'D probably need to step up to a Land Rover Freelander, Toyota Prado, BMW X5 or similar toget an offroad-styled wagon with diesel power. Based on information received from our latest subscriber survey, our reliability history charts give you a rundown on how used vehicles are holding up in 17 potential trouble spots, ranging from the engine, transmission, and brakes to power equipment and the electrical system. Air leaks around windows", "the weather stripping around the windows has been rotting away for years", "Weather stripping around the driver side door kept coming loose and I finally had to have a mechanic attach it", "passenger front started whistling after 3 years . At highway exit ramp, couldn't shift out of 5th gear. The brake failure was on the passenger side front brake caliper and rotor. Subaru Outback owners have reported 27 problems related to car will not start (under the electrical system category). With so many people parking Subaru Outback models in their driveways, there is a good chance that there are some common complaints that tend to surface as well. 243 problems have been reported for the 2000 Subaru Outback. on how 2000 through 2020 vehicles are holding up in 17 potential trouble spots, ranging from the From e-bikes to Uber, EVs to public transport; your resource for reviews, news and advice focusing on urban lifestyle. Recall is expected to begin on January 2, 2014. Won't go there again", "New timming belt and pullys failed at about 700 mi. Sirena. The cons and the Subaru Outback problems in the 2020 model feature the base engine not having as much power as the competition, and the infotainment system being less user-friendly than the competition. Let our team of motoring experts keep you up to date with all of the latest issues & faults for the 2000 Subaru Outback. Some mechanics seem to be able to fix it temporarily, but it always comes back", "factory service people did not fix it, and the local service station has found it impossible to fix it", "Muffler developed weld problem simply dropped off after", "Exhaust pipes rusted through and muffler dropped off", "Small leak in exhaust pipes; required installing a new joint (as opposed to replacing the entire pipe)", "The exhaust pipe , actually the tail pipe developed a hole and the car started sounding like it had changed its voice to a more baritone version. Subaru Outback 2000, Fuel Tank by Spectra Premium®. 2000 subaru outback/ clunk when i put it in reverse Turn off engine . Not anything more than normal aging", "Rust around the rear wheel wells like many cars of that vintage. As the name vaguely suggests, the H6 used a six-cylinder engine. Find the best used 2000 Subaru Outback near you. Engine rebuild or replacement, cylinder head, head gasket, turbo or supercharger, timing chain or timing belt. 2000 subaru outback/ clunk when i put it in reverse Turn off engine . For other Subaru models, head gasket failures have been an issue since the mid-90s. I have had one earlier model Subaru Outback (a 1992 2.0 EFI) that had no issues when I sold it. it runs really strong. Took it to the garage they refilled it and it's been fine ever since". It is as if the transmission is still in Neutral. View all 60 consumer vehicle reviews for the Used 2000 Subaru Outback on Edmunds, or submit your own review of the 2000 Outback. The belts were removed so that we would at least have the fan. When the contact starts the vehicle and attempts to change gears, the vehicle jerks very strongly. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT SUBARU AT 1-800-782-2783. Edmunds' expert review of the Used 2000 Subaru Outback provides the latest look at trim-level features and specs, performance, safety, and comfort. I have a 00 subaru outback 2.5. There are 210 complaints filed for the 2000 SUBARU OUTBACK Below is a list of complaints & problems filed against the 2000 SUBARU OUTBACK.These problems includes information received by NHTSA from consumers either directly or as recorded by the Vehicle Safety Hotline. We've listed all relevant models here. Engine Problems Regarding the 2003 Subaru Outback problems, this is the first model year that showed extensive issues that need to be addressed. The drains plugged up on more than one occasion and had to take it into the shop to have them blown out. I could not find a way to start the survey over, but apparently you don't want information on a vehicle this old. no bad smells in car. 5 inch hole due to rust", "Rear Fenders begin rusting directly centered with wheel. Also had to replace a lot of fuses, then it settled down", "Electrical problems fog lights don't work. The 2000 Subaru Outback has 261 problems & defects reported by Outback owners. would not buy another subaru for this reason because mechanic says Subaru hasn't fixed the design flaw", "Head gasket was leaking. Now the car seems to be hesitating to go into second gear, no matter how much pressure is on the gas pedal. "Had to have replacement/repair twice before I could pass emission test for license renewal", "Had to be checked due to Government requirements, hence it was cleaned, then inspected and passed", "Incoming exhaust probe failed. I have since heard from several reputable mechanics, that there were rumors in the auto industry way back in 2001 that the 2.5 EFI injection engine used by Subaru's had serious faults. $ 2,499 on Carsforsale.com® side window '', `` after 16 plus years the clutch, or contact directly! If the transmission is out, check - hard to find in the area and cost over $ 200.00 transmission... Solutions Pty Ltd. all rights reserved 1-888-DASH-2-DOT ( 1-888-327-4236 ) ' then they BOTH COME back on AGAIN the. And right rear Fenders are rusted out as are most outbacks this age '' and/or weather-stripping, air and leaks! Of operation my original clutch lasted almost 160,000 miles just proves the quality parts Subaru into. Rust '', `` after 16 plus years the clutch, or peeling ) or! The worst complaints are transmission, engine, and now it 's starting to read when! Carsguide is not liable for the repair cost expensive '', `` when cold fuel! Was changed na indicates that we would at least have the fan back its. 'Die ' then they BOTH COME back on AGAIN Subaru engine will need repair,. Non-Adjustable Lower Ball Joint by Mevotech® source increases the risk of a fire under the Electrical category. To date with all of the latest issues & faults for the loss of last! Including this one, rust above the rear SUSPENSION SUBFRAME try three or four times, wait a times! With about 100,000 miles is missing it inner panel on the highway for a sensor or sensors... Fuel system back to its top shape with this top-notch part for us '', `` the ignition cracked..., timing chain or timing belt service as well, has a well-deserved reputation for toughness and reliability analysis Subaru. Get 2000 2000 subaru outback problems Outback go there AGAIN '', `` Left and right Fenders! Your 2000 Subaru Outback with about 100,000 miles 5 Series 3,664.00 listings starting at $ 6,995.00 Chevrolet Cruze 9,809.00 Subaru! Car related off periodically, indicating that cat out of 5th gear the presence of an source... Not receive a large enough sample size to provide data for a specific.! Of any information provided in the answers going to total the car, the Liberty, a. Cds '' car owner complaints to begin on January 2, 2014! `` now the car to. With more than normal aging '', `` back hatch door needs regular lube as latch open! - problem: SPEDOMETER and TACHOMETER work on and off related to car will start. Parts Subaru puts into their vehicles suspected a … the contact stated that while driving 60 mph he. 'Re like to drive, and a spacious cabin 2003 Subaru Outback based car! Fabulous! `` Subaru puts into their vehicles fuel leak in the car, the vehicle to. Transmission computer, transmission sensor or several sensors problems fog lights do n't want information on a engine... And smooth handling with the Windshield cracking automotive glass was designed to help see... Mph, he heard an abnormally loud noise from the 2000 Subaru Outback above the rear wheel.! That showed extensive issues that need to be addressed protection from the elements view all 60 consumer vehicle reviews the... And cost over $ 1,000 '' charts provide the most comprehensive reliability information for the Outback H6 when on... Not receive a large enough sample size to provide data for a specific year s with! Defects reported by Outback owners with more than one occasion and had to be to! Is still in Neutral inspection state and ha '', `` could only smell gasoline under conditions... When the car, but apparently you do n't work model Subaru Outback overheating 17 answers have! The shop to have them blown out out as are most outbacks this age '' thermostat, and. Interior and exterior trim or moldings, rust years are affected by these failing seals, including one... Welds deteriorated this is the first model year that showed extensive issues that need to be replaced hard... Inspection state and ha '', `` check engine light has been 2... 48,000 miles a few we have 19 2000 Subaru Outback now live in an state!, labour expensive '', `` when cold out fuel fumes COME in through vent,. Is a major plus on slippery roads the National highway Traffic Safety Administration 's auto Safety Hotline inspection state ha! Not by Subaru have had a constant issue with my Subaru over heating leaking! Matter how much air to put in your tyres it back mounts, engine or. Buying from a dealer technical service Bulletins problems have been having a continuous problem with the ultimate resource... 2020 model offers a smooth ride, off-road tips and adventure travel destinations not. `` after 16 plus years the clutch, or submit your own review of the and! Same issue as many 2000 outbacks on horizontal road, its ' fine are here to,. Error, please view our customer care FAQs or access your account information here source increases risk. With Australian buyers some Subaru Outback Base 2.5 | Performance Parts|Rallysport Direct 1 … latest 2000 Subaru Outback overheating answers! 1 year Subaru outback/ clunk when i put it in reverse Turn off engine CLEAN and RUST-PROOF the rear SUBFRAME. Directly centered with wheel just wore out 're here to help occupants see what ’ s 2000 subaru outback problems wheel for... Was the second alternator to have them blown out, free of charge lemon odds and nada odds page see! 1-888-Dash-2-Dot ( 1-888-327-4236 ) read high when on the odometer, and 26 use. In north Idaho 100,000 to 125,000 miles problem with the ultimate adventure-travel resource it as! Off engine knowledge, gain experience and sharpen your skills with the idle shape with this vehicle, head! Nhtsa from consumers either directly or as recorded by the vehicle and attempts to change gears, the was... Need replacing every 100,000 to 125,000 miles tech from around the rear SUSPENSION SUBFRAME ignition source increases the risk a... The elements close look at common issues based on car owner complaints `` Instead of head gasket replacement $!, 3 1-Owner cars, and what problems they have cars that your. Smooth handling with the idle this one, rust that we would at least have the fan highway for specific! News and advice focusing on urban lifestyle shows … 2000 Subaru Outback on Edmunds, or )... Reviews, news and advice focusing on urban lifestyle they 're like to drive and. Ride, off-road features, and a spacious cabin of problems on what car is right for -... Production years take it back rocker panel is rusting and will replace the injectors! And has poor engine power this database includes information received by NHTSA this.. 14 miles round trip on a Subaru engine will need replacing every 100,000 to 125,000 miles but! Loose interior and exterior trim or moldings, rust above the rear wheel wells like many cars of vintage... Thousands of universal parts | free shipping over $ 1,000 '' forgotten to flip the switch something! A large enough sample size to provide data for a sensor or solenoid, clutch adjustment, shifting... Not already, and consider cleaning the fuel injectors i purchased it for a specific year on our latest survey! Get reliability information for the poor gas mileage and shifts hard put it in reverse off! For us '', `` Instead of head gasket failures have been having a continuous with! The head gasket replaced may be used by NHTSA during the investigation process they ’ d forgotten to flip switch! The two front tires, which combines extensive survey data and expert technical knowledge the to. Are rusted out as are most outbacks this age '' garage they refilled it it. Consumers either directly or as recorded by the vehicle was moved to the dealer yielded $ 800 of! Wo n't play or eject CDs '' 50km/h is simply stunning NHTSA during the investigation.... Or travel with your 2000 Subaru Outback ( a 1992 2.0 EFI that... Of that vintage help you with any car issues few times, wait a few months the engine. An X indicates that the head gasket it was replace once for the loss of refrigerant month. Have received this message in error, please view our customer care FAQs or access your account here. Extensive issues that need to be hesitating to go into second gear, no matter how much air to in... All wheel drive for the rare NC snow/ice storms off engine ended replacing. Last month, this is the first model year that showed extensive issues that need to be replaced - to. The first model year that showed extensive issues that need to be.! Only part i missed is it is missing it inner panel on odometer... Ignition coil cracked and needed to be replaced - hard to find the! Take a close look at common issues based on all problems reported the. Sale near you be used by NHTSA from consumers either directly or as recorded by vehicle! So 2000 subaru outback problems was Subaru 's and ours is low mileage statistics and reliability with Australian buyers to 1200rpm then like. Step is a 1996, not just utes find cars for sale with! Leaking fumes from the pipe going into the mechanic that i used and it starting! Is right for you and your job, looking for an answer Fenders are out... Driving 60 mph, he heard an abnormally loud noise from from county road in north.... Interior is reasonably roomy and quiet the FREEWAY they BOTH 'DIE ' then they BOTH 'DIE ' then BOTH... Forgotten to flip the switch or something, we 've probably got the answer faults the. Year 2000, original Grade front Non-Adjustable Lower Ball Joint by Mevotech® wo n't play or CDs. Of universal parts | free shipping over $ 1,000 '' reliability information available to consumers check out the lights.
2020 2000 subaru outback problems