Because all detritus will be strained out, I like to toss in some dried thyme sticks and a bay leaf. Reduce heat, and simmer until corn is tender, about 20 minutes. Can you please reword/edit the first few sentences? This soup was tasty, but it was quite a bit of work and made lots of dishes. Holy cow! and it was great! I’m a huge fan of both blended soups and Deb’s recipes (the miso carrot and creamy cauliflower are regulars in my home! My CSA gives me a ton of corn, so I used 6 cobs. I’ve used the cooking water from cooking corn on the cob as a broth/base for soup, but it probably isn’t as rich as one made with the corn that is left on the cob after cutting off the kernels. Whisk the harissa and oil together in a small bowl. used an immersion blender and tried it with and without straining – personally i preferred the strained version. Also, could you please please please add metric measurements? The end result was delicious. Top with garnishes of your choice. Do you think I could add rotisserie chicken or shrimp? Keep these great ideas coming! I made this soup today and it was delicious. 1. Smitten Kitchen + Melissa King = perfection! I do wonder if the stock really adds much, since I wasn’t blown away by the flavor, tasting it after the 1 hour simmer and salting. Secure lid but remove the center piece to allow steam to escape. I absolutely cannot wait to make this! Get recipes, tips and NYT special offers delivered straight to your inbox. Let stand 10 minutes and pour through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding the pepper flakes. it was all very yummy with lots of Corn flavor. with just a squeeze of lime and some fresh cilantro on top. To even further highlight the corn, I highly recommend making the corn stock in the instant pot or other pressure cooker (15 mins at high pressure, quick release, sauté function to reduce it down). We used unsweetened coconut milk and shallots – because corn can be too sweet when concentrated. If you transferred the stock to a big measuring cup before continuing, and used an immersion blender, the entire thing could probably be done in the IP without dirtying many other dishes (The corncob-milking idea is shamelessly stolen from Kenji Lopez-Alt’s incredible pressure cooker corn soup). I think the meaning is lost a bit. Lol. Followed the recipe exactly, including straining at the end. In the late 90s, some Thai friends down the hall in my dorm would make a soup similar to this, except theirs was slightly sweet and also incorporated small tapioca pearls. It was MEH. (Embarassed to mention this). Once the oil is hot, add the shallots to the skillet, breaking them into rings as you place them in. yield: 2 quart — Ingredients: 4 fresh ears of yellow or white corn, remove husk, wash cobs, cut kernels off cob and place in a bowl, save cobs for stock (do not use frozen corn) How to select corn: Look for evenly shaped, large cobs of corn. I felt the same, Kate. …and it is vegan :-). Thank you for this fabulous recipe. Hello Deb-your soup looks great, but I was kind of sad about the unexpected Top Chef spoiler…. I liked the complexity and the fresh taste. Reserved some corn before blending to add back in for texture and made the chili oil to drizzle on top with Aleppo peppers, loved it! Made the eggplant and orzo bake the other day–loved it and loved the leftovers, too! The only thing I added was, I poached chicken thighs in ginger & cilantro then shredded it and added to the finished soup. Corn soup is a big popular street food in my country (Trinidad). This looks and sounds delicious. I underestimated the amount of time and work, that goes into it (rarely happens to me with recipes from SK! I can’t wait to see what you do with it. A few weeks ago, People Magazine ran my blueberry muffin recipe and on my way to find it, I ran into this winning corn-coconut soup from beloved Top Chef Season 17 winner, Melissa King, and had to make it right away. Used a Vitamix and it was perfect. There’s such a coziness to the soup; I want to pack it up for a friend or stash some in the freezer for later this winter. Blend on highest setting until completely smooth, 1 or 2 minutes. So curious, what would you suggest serving this with? I used the soup more as a sauce in bowl with rice, grilled chicken and blistered shishito peppers, and second night also added spinach. This soup is delish! I made this soup last night, and love it. Use an immersion blender to roughly purée the soup, so that it’s creamy with some kernels of corn, chunks of potato, and chile flecks remaining. Reduce to simmer and let it cook until the corn in tender. Eight years ago: Mediterranean Baked Feta with Tomatoes, Leek, Chard, and Corn Flatbread and Vanilla Custards with Roasted Blueberries I was especially impressed by the corn cob broth! Add the oil, shallots and cayenne and sauté for 2 minutes until the shallots have softened, stirring from time to time. I’ve got a soup made with corn and their stock in my new cookbook, but this one sounds so much tastier…! I have some fennel in my fridge so planning to make the salad tonight alongside my long-held tradition of making a corn chowder on Labor Day weekend. I had about 1.5 cups of corn mush leftover from my sieve. Like others found this really sweet (used regular unsweetened coconut milk). Would this also work with pre-cooked vacu-packed corn cobs, do you think? Excited to make this! I’m glad I did this extra but very simple step — there were fine bits of corn kernel skins that would have detracted from the smooth texture. This looks great, but I”m avoiding onion in my diet. I made this tonight but I’m not eating onion, so I peeled and diced up zucchini to use in place, to add more substance, and I also added celery and just a few carrot pieces to the corn stock. I have an abundance of lemon grass in my yard. I highly highly recommend taking the time to make this. 4. Salt from crispy shallots, acid from pickled shallots and lime, heat from the chili oil and fresh vegetal flavor from the cilantro. Also, the recipe suggests straining. Don’t make me pick a favorite! 15 Impressive Recipes for Valentine’s Day Dinner. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. I liked the comment above about half blending the soup and leaving it chunkier – I may try that next time. Living in Italy, I crave Asian-inspired recipes especially ones as easy as this was. I know!!! I like your idea of making the broth with the leftover cobs. You might want to check out the comment guidelines before chiming in. 4. To make crispy shallots: Thinly slice two large shallots. Made this today with our csa bag. Heat 1/4 cup neutral oil in a small skillet over medium-high until shimmering, then pour over red pepper. NYT Cooking is a subscription service of The New York Times. 3. The fried shallots were our favorite topping. Seven years ago: Almond-Crisped Peaches, Key Lime Popsicles and Zucchini Parmesan Crisps It is a digital cookbook and cooking guide alike, available on all platforms, that helps home cooks of every level discover, save and organize the world’s best recipes, while also helping them become better, more competent cooks. Deb! It might have been smoother in a Vitamix, but I’m not sure — there’s not a lot of solids for the amount of liquid. Cream or half-and-half will give you closer to the rich texture of coconut milk. Yes…. Thank you! but I missed that it was pre-cooked. Season with salt, then stir in the brown sugar and a generous pinch black pepper. Shallots will be very lightly pickled by the time you’re done making the soup, but if you can give it 1 to 2 hours in the fridge, they’ll be more so. (If using frozen kernels, skip this step.). My husband loved it too and he’s “not a soup person.” Followed recipe exactly. My garden also won’t stop with the zucchini, so I added a diced large zucchini to the pot when I added the corn kernels. Stir in coconut milk and water. Turn the heat off. Your email address will not be published. Use an immersion blender or, working in batches, carefully transfer the soup to a high-speed blender and puree until smooth. I was looking for something to do with the corn stock I made earlier this summer. I didn’t try this chilled, however, I have seen other corn coconut soups that are served chilled, so it seems like there’s potential. But I’m not sure I would risk trying it without, since the end product was really delicious. Fourteen years ago: Moules Frites and 44-Clove Garlic Soup. Thanks! OMG. But it was good. Can’t wait to try this. Thanks for all your great recipes, Deb. It was excellent this way as well – will have to try the smoother way later. Now, pour in the vegetable broth and coconut milk. You haven’t steered me wrong yet, so I’m going to skip the dairy and opt for coconut milk It still stays working tradition of making a corn chowder as summer winds down, but adds an element of something new as well! It does appear that the first few sentences of the corn stock directions may have been the victim of a word processing mishap, though. Deadline Media, Golden Globes TV Predictions: Top 24 All Stars, SAG Awards TV Predictions: Top 24 All Star Users, Golden Globes TV predictions: Top 24 All Stars, ‘Big Brother’ Predictions: Live Episode 10, ‘Big Brother’ Predictions: Live Episode 9, ‘Big Brother’ Predictions: Triple Eviction. My stock didnt reduce much so I ended up with a bit more that will probably be used to make rice to go under crispy fried eggs. Process until very smooth. Whisk in the milk and the broth. To pickle shallots: Thinly slice two large shallots. Heat a large pot on medium-high and drizzle in the coconut oil. Yesssss but those are all super easily avoidable if you haven’t seen this season! My life hasn’t been the same without it. It was outstanding! Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are soft and the soup is fragrant, about 15-20 minutes. Pour in the milk, scraping the pot base to pull the brown bits off. I think either of those proteins sound lovely. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and soft, about 15 minutes. Other tip is if you have a vitamix use that and then no straining at all! Just to make sure: The first “yes” referred to the pre-cooked corn, right? 2 Cook over a low heat for five or six minutes, until the onion starts to soften. Bring to a boil. Add the flour, stirring well, to make a pasty mixture. Hi Deb, do you think this recipe would work well chilled? It may be a matter of the pot that I used, such that more water was lost to evaporation and the cobs didn’t really have enough time to give up all their flavor, but considering the flavor of the cobs seemed to be pretty leached out afterwards, I’m not sure about that. Simmer until fully incorporated. I loved it so dearly, and this brought back wonderful memories. I had about 6 cups. In the words of my sister, “it tastes like corn”. It’s so delicious; great job, Deb. Thank you for posting this! Loved this recipe- and so did my husband! Simmer for 10 minutes, until the … Six years ago: Strawberries and Cream with Graham Crumbles and Corn Cheddar and Scallion Strata I would try a different corn soup — I just don’t think corn and cream will give you enough flavor. Made as instructed and enjoying this as a chilled soup right now (hot summer days where I am). 5. Will definitely make again. Add the corn mixture to the soup. Bring it back to boil, add coconut cream, lemon juice and season to taste. Six months ago: Pina Colada (I am still recovering.). Made this tonight and it is truly the best soup I’ve ever tasted. I made this last night. This reminds me of this: https://www.marthastewart.com/336678/coconut-fish-chowder that I make for my family and that my kids all like (except the fish). The pressure “milks” the cobs and delivers maximum corn flavor. [Warning! … Added the juice of the whole I will have to try this one too. Each time I make it, I can’t believe how simple and easy it is, and how delicious. I saw some commenters that their soup was sweet. I’m looking forward to making this: I’m sure my family will love it. I may toss some in. Reduce heat … I found the corn cob broth to be rather flavorless, but adding the corn to the soup, using the immersion blender and then straining it again really perked it up. Definitely some steps here, but the silky and flavorful result was so worth it. Add the coconut milk, almond milk, all but one cup of the corn, and curry. I strained the soup and it was beautifully smooth, but it took me a long time to get it all through the strainer. But I think the pickled shallots ( I just used regular sliced onions) really made this soup sing! Update: the cornbread was delicious! Sounds great. Corn soup is in the air! I want to make sure I don’t under or over-reduce, lol. But it’s also in People Magazine as her “winning” soup and there have been a ton of articles about her winning. Set in fridge until needed. A good start to Autumn! Absolutely delicious! The toppings are a must to balance out the sweet of the corn and onion. Maybe my strainer was too fine? I have a child who is allergic to coconut but loves the other flavors present in this recipe. Can’t believe I never tried making corn broth before and seldom go for recipes that call for coconut milk. I didn’t say it was logical, I think we know better than to expect clear, sound reasoning here, but when cookbooks decided that cauliflower could be pizza crusts or that black beans could go in brownies, I’m sorry, but I checked out. I look forward to eating it for lunch tomorrow.
2020 coconut corn soup top chef recipe