Thanks so much for sharing. It is definitely healthy! Sauerkraut With German, Austrian, and Czech Influence. Sauerkraut Soup Recipe - Only Gluten Free Recipes. If you experiment, let me know how it goes! Ingredients: 2 tablespoons sunflower oil; small piece of bacon Not yet. Looks absolutely delicious. Recipe from onlyglutenfreerecipes.com. Jan 31, 2013 - This is very easy and delicious soup. Sounds like the perfect comfort food soup. The recipe below is an accurate description of how my mom used to make this soup, and she always got raves from everyone who tried it. I made this soup yesterday based solely on all the good reviews. 2 Freestyle points per cup! Thank you so much for the awesome review and for sharing your cooking notes! My Mom is looking down from heaven and smiling. I tried so many of them and they all turn out great. Place the loaf into the boiling water, and cook for 45 minutes, turning the loaf over about half way through. Its missing a piece of chicken lol; I made it with this recipe and I think the chicken would be a good addition. Add the oil. Thank you Natasha, I am a faithful user of your blog, your recipes are delicious! It was also inspired by Rachel Ray’s Ham, Bean and Bacon Soup. Back to this soup, the sauerkraut gives it a lovely texture and zing and the bacon provides a subtle smokiness. I followed the recipe and did rinse and drain the Kraut 3 times but, it seems quite sour. Thanks so much for sharing! As for the sauerkraut I did my grandmother's. Add sliced carrots, potatoes, 1/4 cup quinoa (if using), 8 cups broth and 2 cups water. Family cookbooks are an important way to preserve our mealtime traditions for future generations with individual printed recipes or your own professionally printed cookbook. Made a pork roast in the slow cooker with the zeli and I had a childhood dinner I begged for! Kyselice (Czech sauerkraut soup) Ingredients • 15 oz sauerkraut Thank you for sharing that tip! It also keeps a nicer texture, to my thinking. Can I use canned or jarred sauerkraut in this recipe? It looks wonderful. It is absolutely amazing! My husband will sometimes add canned mushrooms if he wants it as a snack/meal to go with some dark rye bread. mix sour cream, butter, flour and egg yolk. I then boil my water to a strong rolling boil. Oh wow that sounds delicious!! . Thank you for the great review! . Cook for 20 minutes or so. In small skillet brown butter add flour to make a roux and add that to the saucepan with the sauerkraut. Fry bacon in a small skillet over medium-high heat until evenly browned. Heat through, season to taste. What if I have made my own homeade sauerkraut? Hi Cathy, yes that would work fine to use store-bought sauerkraut. Serve with sauerkraut. 30 min. That sounds delicious! Our readers have reported great results using sausage and kielbasa. Perfect for a chili day. It is very nice you have replied to questions for years! I just made it and my husband loves it. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. I am also Ukrainian and I am loving your site. A very traditional way to eat the leftover dumplings the next day for breakfast or brunch is to chop them up into cubes, pan fry in a little butter; then add eggs and milk, and cook as if you are making scrambled eggs. It’s still sitting on the hob, but when I bowl it up, going to put some soured cream on the table (I think crème fraiche would be better, though I don’t find it in my markets around here). They should be hard. What’s your favorite “weird” soup? Can I drain and use that? I used smaller amount of milk first about a cup then got stuck in with my hands did not bother with a spoon. 15 min. Recently made your soup & thought it was delicious! It is so good. This is the only advice I can offer. in our region its made from fresh cabbage & with tomato paste. Thank you so much for sharing your great review . Bright, delicious, nutritious. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Thanks for sharing your great review Tracey! February 2020. You’re welcome Teresa! Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. I’ve never had it with bacon and now I am really excited to try it! I had read a few recipes for this polish soup that included cabbage so I thought it would work and it did! Once my dough is mixed I will use "Wondra Gravy Flour" to roll them to their desired shape. Gramutz (Lithuanian) made this with beef shank, canned tomatoes, etc. How do you make yours? As far as this recipe goes I use everything up to the breadcrumbs. So even though this is not the only way to prepare this soup, this recipe is our family gold! Saute until softened and golden (5 min). Love your soup!by any chance do you know the calories? No need to keep kneading it..just mix it all together until soft/doughy but still holding it's shape. I haven’t tried it in a slow cooker because it doesn’t require a very long cook time. Hello Edna, quinoa is an optional ingredient but I haven’t tried rice yet to advise. Add kielbasa and cook 3 minutes or until fat starts to render, stirring frequently. I was at a loss of how to eat it…I knew it was good with sausages, but I was curious about other things. I'm Natasha Kravchuk. Info. Thank you so much Natasha!!! Unexpectedly delicious. • Add to soup heavy cream, chopped dill, and garlic and keep boiling on the medium hit about 5min. Basically same ingredients but fold in the bread cubes form into small loaves flouring your hands. Thank you and I am so glad you found my website! I made today what I can only describe as Shchi iz Kapusta with meat, but I’m told it can also be made with Sauerkraut. Oh this is so perfect! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review Vickie! 45 min. I have just started eating sauerkraut as I have heard that is supposed to be good for gut health. Will make for dinner tonight. We also had more of a sauerkraut taste, which was fine with me, but next time I might try cooking it longer. Don't complicate simple recipe...mix-boil and be done! ]; seasoned with 1 tsp each of paprika & tumeric instead of Mrs Dash. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven (here’s the one I use). All natural cider vinegar and sauerkraut, seems to me there’s a real health-bomb in that, too. I followed another reviewer's advice and left out the baking soda. That’s so great! I HEARD THIS IS A GREAT SOUP FOR WEIGHT LOSS, KEEPING OUT THE POTATO AND ADDING MORE CARROTS. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low, and cook until potatoes are tender. don’t drain the sauerkraut! Unfortunately my dumplings were not quite as light and fluffy as Babicka's (grandmother's) but this does take some practice. Made many times. It is definitely a keeper! Thank you so much for sharing this with me!! I’m pretty pleased to find this web site. This is how my family continues to make it. !” At first she wasn’t sure what the small circles were but after telling her, she had initially thought that it was quinoa. This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you so much for sharing that with me, Pat! Add the dry white bread cubes, and stir into the dough until they disappear. Thank you! Here I’m sharing about the batch style cooking of the old world, food that took minimum active time, as well as the recipe for kapustnica, Slovak sauerkraut soup. I’d love to use my crock pot. Add 2-3 cups of well rinsed and drained sauerkraut and half of cooked bacon (I keep some for garnish), white beans with their juice, and 1 bay leaf and continue to cook until potatoes are tender (about 10 min). Thank you so much! If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! I do stir all of the ingredients as directed however; I use judgment with the milk as to not make it too moist of a batter. Idefinitely really liked Oh, sweet memories…. It sounds like you have a new favorite! I didn’t have any bacon so I cubed a fair amount of smoked ham, and followed your recipe to the tee……so delicious ! Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add the sausage. Just made this. I have never bought Mrs.Dash before so I found a recipe and mixed it up for this. I’m so happy to hear you love the recipe! Hi Debbie, I don’t typically include calorie counts because of the time constraint that I have. That’s awesome!! With 26 recipes, cultural stories, and in-depth health info on traditional cooking practices, there is so much more than I’ve shared here! This recipe looks awesome. This was great! © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition . Let stand for 10 minutes. Kyselica (kyselice) is a traditional sauerkraut soup from the historic Wallachian region in the Czech Republic. Natasha, I’m anxious to try this soup but the only sauerkraut I know comes in a jar. It’s also the perfect example of how the farmers and common folks of Ukraine made delicious foods with simple basic ingredients. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. It’s hearty, filling and will warm your belly. Thanks so much to the poster for sharing it with us! I love how much variety there is from one recipe to another. will have to try this version! We love your soups. It’s definitely a keeper!!!!! I may have over-kneaded and possibly cooked them just a little too long but they were still very delicious. This one I have to make tonight! I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed this recipe! Stir in onion; cook 5 minutes or until onion is … I have been trying to replicate my grandmother's knedlicky recipe for a while now- the cheesecloth is a great suggestion! , 1 Tbsp olive oil 8 oz bacon, chopped 1 stick celery, finely diced 1 medium onion, finely diced 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced 3 medium (1 lb) potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/3″ thick pieces 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed, optional  2-3 cups sauerkraut, triple rinsed & drained (we use 3 cups or about 2 lbs) 8 cups low sodium chicken broth 2 cups water, or to taste 1 (15 oz can) white beans (click to learn how to cook your own beans) Salt, Pepper and Mrs. . And liquid smoke and salt to the olive oil before adding the onions. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. My mother-in-law put cream of wheat in hers I am thinking it would be similar to the use of quinoa in yours, Thank you for sharing! Slowly add to soup mixture, stirring constantly. Let it cook for at least 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Remove and slice with knedlicky cutter from czech, or let cool and cut with bread knife into bread width pieces. Yay! Skip the baking soda, add another tsp or 2 of baking powder. Gently lower into water put cover on pot but leave it slightly askew to vent and gently simmer for 20 minutes. But I think we like bacon more . It's hearty, filling and will warm your belly. We serve this soup Christmas Eve. brine and all makes the soup, along with whatever pork–bacon, kielbasi, ham…. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 15 min. I did not bother cooking it in a cloth just popped them in salty boiling water. Thanks for sharing . Thanks for the great recipe. Sometimes we had smoked pork chops or bratwurst along with a steaming plate of this Bohemian specialty. I just made this and it’s delish! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen. My Latvian grandmother made it with barley instead of potatoes, but the rest looks similar. Awesome! I followed the advices of 200 strokes but instead knead it 200x times by hand until the dough was elastic (sprung back when depressed) and did not stick to my hands anymore. What would you suggest for a vegetarian, subbing a bunch of butter for the bacon? … I have found that too many breadcrumbs create air pockets for water to enter when boiling. Chicken soup never fails us, especially with the weather getting chilly. I love how different families take different spins on this classic soup. Add sliced carrots, potatoes, 1/4 cup quinoa (if using), 8 cups broth and 2 cups water. My mom used to make kapusta soup, and this recipe is the closest to it. You’re welcome, Edwina! It was awesome! Hi Pasha, I don’t have a recipe like that but it sure looks good after a quick google search! This is a fabulous soup! Set aside. Emily, caramelized onions sounds great . Thank you so much for sharing that with me Jan! Add the sauerkraut and pulse until the dough starts to form a ball. Her comment, “DELICIOUS!!! Season soup to taste (I added 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp Mrs Dash). (I just use the Wondra flour.) the soup he is refraining to\ is Rauginty Kopusty Sriuba served in the morning usually after a heavy night of drinking and traditional for the day after the wedding crowd ,caraway tyme bayleaf and tomato paste no drain usually homemade kraut ,all of your other ingredients are same ,, my mom also did hers with beef shank lots marrow in the shank cubed pork butt can also be used. Great take on a traditional kapustyak! if you have some cabbage, toss that in too. I’ve never heard of kapustnyak but these photos are enough to make ANYONE want this today. Generally homemade sauerkraut works fine. – 1 hr. I also added a bag of shredded cabbage to bulk up the veggies. That’s so great! I haven’t tried it in a slow cooker because it doesn’t require a very long cook time. I added sausage with bacon and fresh cabbage Delish. OMG! No quinoa mushrooms absorb. If I didn’t want to use bacon, what would you recommend as an alternative non pork fat. This is going to be great. The sauerkraut was one of their primary vegetable sources during the cold months, so they got creative with it and made Kapustnyak (sauerkraut soup). Great meal for our cold winter nights. I hope you love the soup! Thanks for following and sharing your review! My family makes our own sauerkraut too. In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. One of the most favourite Slovak soups is associated with many merry moments. I’m going to try tour soup. It sounds tasty.I want to ask a couple of questions.Do you have a recipe for pork shoulder and sauerkraut? What a treat to find this recipe! I’m so happy you loved it! . It's great. Let it cook for few minutes then add sauerkraut and polish kielbasa. Stir together the cornstarch and water; mix into the sauerkraut, and simmer for a few minutes before removing from the heat. It was a treat . I loved this recipe. So we love this salad because basically the only thing we need to cut is the onion. I hope you enjoy the recipe, please let me know what you think! Almost as though you would flour a cutting board for bread dough. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the recipe and instructions. Hi Natasha, this recipe sounds FANTASTIC!!! Also pickle soup. I might enjoy the extra sour-ness. Add chopped bacon and sautee until browned then remove with a slotted spoon and reserve. . Thanks for sharing this recipe . , How do you prep the raw white beans? I’m glad to have inspired you for this recipe. I hope you enjoy this soup! . Add sliced carrots, potatoes, 1/4 cup quinoa (if using), 8 cups broth and 2 cups water. Thank you for sharing that wonderful feedback with me, Mary Ann! Looks amazing!! It was so simple to make and surprisingly delicious (initially skeptical about the taste). Soon I hope! I found your recipe for sauerkraut soup and made it today and can I tell you that it is DELICIOUS! While cooking the last turkey, I threw all the carrots, onions and celery in the oven at the same time, chopped and froze them. Have a great day . We live in Meridian, ID (close to Boise). Thanks for sharing your recipe. I’m so happy to hear that! i only had 2 cups of hruba so used 2 of that and 1 cup of polohruba. When I smell the acetic odour of sauerkrat (magic is in fermenting in clay barrels), I immediately feel like there should be a pine tree with presents underneath somewhere around. Boil kraut and potatoes in water for 15 minutes. ?Excellent with fresh crusty bread. every part of it and i also have you book marked to check out new information in your site. I love anything with sauerkraut. Brings back memories… I follow the recipe as written and it turns out delicious every time. I’m happy to hear how much you’re enjoying the recipes Lilia! my partner luves this soup but has his own particular recipe.. he doesnt measure , just adds until it tastes like he wants it..his ingredients are sauerkraut( everything in the jar ) beef stock, water, salt, worcestershire sauce, garlic, red kidney beans, tomatoe paste, garlic, italian herbs, he used to use the rookworst sausage but as its hard to find he is currently trying the polish sausage ( not as flavoursome ) but does the trick, the soup is quite sour so the flavour isnt for everyone, chuck everything in the slow cooker and forget ( all day ) until the delicious smells remind you its dinner time lol. Add finely chopped celery and onion. I’m happy to find this recipe. This sauerkraut soup has the flavors of old world traditions. you for ones time due to this fantastic read!! The result is a soup made with humble ingredient that tastes a tad tangy, smokey, paprika-ey, and right down scrumptious; It will surely keep you warm this winter. Thank You in advance. I added a little more milk as i worked it just enough for it not to be too dry but not too much so that it holds firm shape. • Add salt, pepper, and paprika to taste. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Directions. I made some sauerkraut and I am so excited to try this after looking around. The leftover dumplings were cubed and I made another childhood favourite....egg dumplings. Any particular reason for rinsing the sauerkraut? Tried this last night and I loved it. Dash seasoning, to taste. Forest workers traditionally ate kyselica as a breakfast meal. I’m happy you enjoy the recipe! In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. I only used 1 potato but used double the white beans. Pork Roast: Prep: 15 min. Thanks for stopping by! My mom always made this soup in winter. Return bratwurst to kraut mixture. Thank you for the recipe. My Polish Sauerkraut Soup Features Chicken Broth And Polish Sausage. I don't have a dumpling slicer (but my grandmother is giving me hers) so I used thread to slice them. You’re so sweet. Can’t wait to enjoy it. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Sonya dekuji mockrat (many thanks) for this recipe!! mix lowfat sour cream, butter, flour and egg yolk. Then add some sour cream, pepper and vinegar if needed. I’ll be perusing your website for me great recipes. Strain the stock from the bones etc and add a couple of cut up potatos, carrots and celery adding the sour kraut to the soup at the end. Rate this Czech Sauerkraut Soup recipe with 1 (15 oz) can sauerkraut (drained), 5 -6 medium potatoes (cut it into small pieces), 1/2 onion (chopped), 1 tsp caraway seed, salt, pepper, 2 tbsp sour cream, 1/2 polish kielbasa (cut into small pieces), 1 tbsp vinegar Add 2-3 cups of well rinsed and drained sauerkraut and half of cooked bacon (I keep some for garnish), white beans with their juice, and 1 bay leaf and continue to cook until potatoes are tender (about 10 min). If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Irene, thank you for such a nice review, I’m glad you both liked it . This is a classic sauerkraut soup recipe from eastern Europe. You’re welcome Miranda! Am I right? I altered the recipe in several subtle ways: country ham instead of bacon; garbanzo beans instead of white beans; added 1/2 lb ground venison & 2 cups chopped kale [both of which were in the refrigerator and needed to be used in something! Thanks! When I cook up a large bag of dried beans, I usually divide after cooking into small packages for the freezer. My mom used to make this and I have made it numerous times over the years…..I have always started with the ham bone left over from Easter or Christmas – simmer it in water for a few hours with onion a carrot and some celery leaves. Thank you for the recipe! Wow. I think the added sweetness helps. As for the milk I keep that to a minimum as well as the breadcrumbs. My Viennese grandmother taught me a recipe for making sauerkraut that is almost a meal by itself. Yay! Instead of adding potatoes during cooking, our family made mashed potatoes and placed a huge dollop on top of the soup then fresh grated garlic.
2020 czech sauerkraut soup recipe