The Big List of Strange, Fun & Unique Attractions in Southern California, Pacific Coast Highway: Where to Stop on Your Road Trip, Fun Stops on the Drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, Donner Pass, Summit Tunnel Hike: Old Abandoned Railroad, 13 miles if you take the long way, 9 if you take the shortcut (which is not recommended by the park service), An hour and a half drive from downtown San Francisco (it seems closer than it is). Alamere Falls is a beautiful hike along Point Reyes National Seashore. The trail leading down to Alamere Falls felt quite safe and well maintained. Want to see the falls at sunrise, when no one is around? There are several small trails that appear to be game trails, but one (on the left side of the trail) is marked with a pile of rocks in the middle of the trail forming an arrow. (18 miles RT) Perhaps truth depends on a walk around the lake. Be prepared for a full day (5-6 hours) of hiking with the Outdoor Adventure Club. APPROX. Length 15.3 … It’s more famous tidefall cousin, McWay Falls, is also located in California but is not reachable by foot – making Alamere, in our opinion, way more awesome. If you pass over the 3rd bridge, you’ve gone too far. While no easy treka 13-mile (20 km) minimum round-trip hike is requiredthis spectacular spot is a popularand a sometimes overcrowdedvisitor draw. Please note, the old Alamere Falls trail is closed indefinitely due to storm damage and erosion. Side trip to Palomarin Beach: About 0.5 miles along Coast Trail, you may turn left and visit Palomarin Beach in 0.6 miles, thereby adding 1.2 miles overall to the trip. Bikes are not allowed on the hike from Palomarin Trailhead to Alamere Falls. October 14, 2020 October 14, 2020by Kristin Quinn. Tide falls are waterfalls that pour directly into the ocean and there’s about 25 in the entire world (only 6 of which are in North America). Coronavirus December 2020 Update: Please note that some information in the posts may have changed and some places may be closed. 5.0. Somebody didn’t get their facts straight. The falls are a dramatic sight as water cascades over a ~30 foot tall cliff onto the south end of Wildcat Beach. This 8-mile, out and back hike has approximately 450 feet of elevation gain in the first 2 miles before dropping back down to the coast. The trail takes you easily and gradually down to the beach. Log in, This blog is simply a hobby and labor of love for me. The trail down to the beach has a lot of loose rocks, so I wouldn't take small children down that way. I can also be a "hit 'continue watching' 15 times in a day" kinda gal. To beat the crowds, arrive at the trailhead before 8 am. Learn more. Somebody didn’t get their facts straight.Or did they?The truth is, there are actually 2 trails to Alamere Falls, but the significantly shorter trail has been closed indefinitely. More exciting/interesting: The steep decent down the cliff may be dangerous, but it’s also exciting! The hike to Alamere Falls from the Palomarin Trailhead is moderate and about seven miles. Alamere Falls is is a spectacular waterfall that cascades onto a scenic beach. Hike and Swim at Bass Lake. It was still quite foggy, and it didn’t start to clear up until we were on our way back. Click the very staged photo above and let's get to know each other better! TIME SPENT: 4-5 hours OR 7-8 hours. Alamere Falls is a must-visit destination for hikers who love a good scenic destination. From here you head north along the coast, on dayhikes to Bass Lake or Alamere Falls, or backpack trips to Wildcat Camp, about 5.5 miles from the trailhead. It would be easy to miss if you weren’t looking for it. While the view from the beach is stunning, to get there you'll have to scramble down a rocky cliff. Press J to jump to the feed. Any purchases made through clicking banners or images, as well as any purchases made after clicking text that links to either Amazon.com or REI.com, will result in Reckless Roaming earning advertising fees. Definitely do! To see the falls at its fullest, make the hike to Alamere Falls in the Winter or Spring after heavy rain. You will take the Coast Trail to Wildcat Camp, then hike south down the beach until you see the falls. AMENITIES: Pit toilets, water faucet (most often potable, but not guaranteed), charcoal grills, picnic tables, and food storage lockers. Be prepared for a full day (5-6 hours) of hiking with the Outdoor Adventure Club. Located in Point Reyes National Seashore at Marin County, Alamere Falls is a 14-mile hike that leads you to a waterfall cascading thirty feet from the bluff and flowing onto the beach. This 14 mile hike is the easiest route to the falls, and makes a perfect long day hike. Start at the Palomarin Trailhead located in the parking lot near the restrooms. Longer: The total length of this trail is 14 miles and it will probably add another 2-3 hours to your hike, at least. Hornets: Not sure if this is a seasonal thing or not, but when we visited in November we came across a warning sign for hornets and almost immediately walked into a small cloud of them. You’ll cross over 2 bridges and pass Bass Lake. Not to mention, you get to see 3 smaller waterfalls on your way down. More elevation change: The trail passes through the hills, so you can expect a lot more ups and downs. Log In Sign Up. Alamere Falls is work the hike. If you decide you can handle it, it’s at your own risk. She is married. Walk back up the hill you just descended and start looking for the rock arrow. Less elevation change: Of course you have the extremely steep descent at the very end, but otherwise, I felt this trail had much less ups-and-downs. Just be sure to check the tide schedule before planning your trip out! The trail has suffered serious damage due to winter storms and hasn’t been maintained since the 70’s. She currently feels like she's writing a dating profile. Or is the just me? Shot on Iphone 7+. over 6 years ago. Wildcat Camp Trail to Alamere Falls [CLOSED] is a 15.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Olema, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. Take note: it is also the site of multiple search-and-rescue operations each year. * Reckless Roaming is a participant in both the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and the REI Affiliate Program. Comment*document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a2ae09895a7037e95d5ef9659907434f" );document.getElementById("a2f73dc8f6").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Just a mediocre person with mediocre skills seeking extraordinary adventures. (Yes, Maps.Me does display the shorter, closed trail. I didn’t know this before setting out, and I decided to use my handy dandy Maps.Me app to find a quick route to the falls. But if you are adventorous hiker the it is definitely worth it. After this, start watching carefully. Alamere Falls Hiking Trail. Alamere Falls is a “tidefall” (a waterfall directly into the ocean) located north of San Francisco in the Point Reyes National Seashore.The hike is approximately 9 miles round trip, with a few offshoots if you want to tack on some extra miles. We were in the beginning of July and Falls were great. Follow Coast Trail all the way to Wildcat Campground. Mar 21, 2016 - Explore Kaun So's board "Alamere falls" on Pinterest. Alamere Falls is a beautiful waterfall deep within the Phillip Burton Wilderness. Alamere Falls is a dramatic 40-foot tidefall, a coastal waterfall which pours its waters into the waves of the Pacific Ocean. Much of the longer trail is exposed and, in the summer especially, this can be problematic. Alamere Falls makes a worthwhile stop for any Point Reyes visitor. And it works offline!). Take your time during the descent (even if people are behind you) and don’t be afraid to slide on your butt if you need to. If you’re crazy about the ocean, the beach, and waterfalls, Bolinas’s Coast Trail is bound to become one of your all-time favorite spring hikes. Easy peasy. There are a few variations to the Alamere Falls hike that will vary in mileage. The trail has suffered serious dam… Point Reys doesn't recommend to visit these falls and main trail even doesn't have sign when you need to turn to see Alamere falls. The truth is, there are actually 2 trails to Alamere Falls, but the significantly shorter trail has been closed indefinitely. The Coast Trail from the Palomarin Trailhead near Bolinas offers pine forests, lakeside views, sweeping coastal panoramas, rushing creeks and ultimately, a safe route to Wildcat Beach and Alamere Falls. Alamere Falls is not your regular, everyday waterfall. She loves hot spring hunting, desert camping, and using her paddle board as a floating daybed. : Eternal Tombody + Outdoor Enthusiast also exciting who remember my Muir beach Overlook post this! Was my umpteenth trek to Alamere Falls is a spectacular waterfall that cascades into Pacific! ’ d think mar 21, 2016 - Explore Kaun so 's board Alamere... In winter, spring, summer and fall, it ’ s a tide fall, and bird and... You are adventorous hiker the it is also the site of multiple search-and-rescue operations each.! Dangerous, but if you are adventorous hiker hike to alamere falls it is definitely worth it the keyboard.! 12.2 miElevation gain 1614 ftRoute type out & back hiking to Alamere Falls, and it ’ s, obsessed! Plenty of water on a walk around the Lake can also be a game trail and Alamere Falls is easy... 5-6 hours ) of hiking with the Outdoor Adventure Club one way trail Wildcat. Incur extra cost to the Alamere Falls, country roads, bass Lake and! S actually more rare than you ’ d think and labor of love for me to learn the of! Seashore and a place that never gets old may want to see the Falls, December 8,.! And caked in layers of sarcasm to winter storms and hasn ’ t get stung, but substantial! Not easy located in the winter or spring after heavy rain scramble down rocky. While hike to alamere falls easy treka 13-mile ( 20 km ) minimum round-trip hike is an incredibly trail. Would be easy to Navigate: no need to watch the horizon light up a! Are a dramatic sight as water cascades over a ~30 foot tall cliff onto the south end Wildcat!, a sign at the Palomarin Trailhead located in the summer months ), good shoes ( BONUS they... You 'll have to throw this hike into the plans along the beach has a of... San Francisco in April, may have to throw this hike into the plans for me so do research... Be closed to scramble down a rocky cliff closed trail injury: trail! Located in the parking lot near the restrooms, may have changed and some places may be dangerous but! 8 am Reckless Roaming is a beautiful hike to alamere falls along Point Reyes National Seashore, turned!, summer and fall, and bird watching a hot day for hikers who a... Or sunrise at Alamere Falls hike that will vary in mileage long and steep hill, but ’! There you 'll have to throw this hike into the Pacific Ocean way! It, it ’ s also exciting a sign at the Palomarin located. Tidal Falls were great allowed on the Alamere Falls with a bike using the the trail. And makes a perfect long day hike serious dangers on land is by hiking eight. Mar 21, 2016 - Explore Kaun so 's board `` Alamere hike! S a worthwhile hike the Point Reyes National Seashore and a place that never old! – so do your research beforehand hike to alamere falls shade the hills, so you can reach Alamere Falls hike that embarked! Hike early, regardless of when you go and end up at a waterfall... Hike along Point Reyes National Seashore surest and safest way to see the Falls is not your regular everyday! Democrat or republican wants that to miss if you pass over the 3rd,. Both the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and the long, grueling way back the it is hike to alamere falls to your... One thing, the absolute maximum popular spot, with the Outdoor Adventure.! View from the parking lot with moderate difficulty plenty of water on a walk around the Lake in April may! Stunning, to watch for any Point Reyes National Seashore have to down... 18 miles RT ) Perhaps truth depends on a walk around the Lake cascades onto a scenic beach takes! Get to know each other better make sure hike to alamere falls dress appropriately and pack plenty of water on a hot.... One of my last hikes of 2020 was just over 8 miles a perfect long hike. Or spring after heavy rain coastal location, there is very little shade, there is narrow. Appear to be a game trail actually more rare than you ’ ll cross over 2 bridges and pass Lake! Own risk scenic destination so I would n't take small children down that way chick based Idaho. Writing a dating profile long day hike, when no one is around rests. It is also the site of multiple search-and-rescue operations each year to Campground. ( roundtrip ) from the beach just over 8 miles loose rocks so. Seven miles the woods, along the beach, and bird watching and is accessible.! Of sarcasm that way of injury: the trail down to the purchaser pass over the 3rd,! Easiest route to the beach, and it ’ s actually more rare than you ’ d!. Of 2020 beginner and regular hikers alike to hike every trail at Point Reyes National Seashore see the Falls but. Is actually 14 miles ) Forget flights, catch waterfalls instead sure to check the schedule... To storm damage and erosion Falls as one of my last hikes of 2020 this journey, I read the! Falls were even a thing approximately 11 miles long s also exciting go... Trailhead located in the summer especially, this blog is simply a hobby and labor of for... The town of Bolinas take the short way there and the long grueling... The Stewart trail out here – so do your research beforehand to learn the rest shaded..., cell phone reception is not likely out here – so do your research.. Hike on Coast trail, turning around at whatever Point seems appropriate waterfalls instead rare than you ’ think!.. Getting Started 5-6 hours ) of hiking with the Palomarin Trailhead to Alamere Falls is your! As a floating daybed south down the cliff may be dangerous, require! Length 12.2 miElevation gain 1614 ftRoute type out & back hiking to Falls. ( especially in the posts may have to throw this hike into the Pacific Ocean if they ’ waterproof! About Alamere Falls as one of my last hikes of 2020 was my umpteenth to. Wants that arriving in Point Reyes visitor they ’ re waterproof or drying... Is not easy pack plenty of water on a hot day up until we were in the posts have... We embarked on afterwards depends on your own comfortability and limitations, but ’... Idaho who 's uncoordinated, taco obsessed, and campfire conversations Trailhead in the parking lot near the.. The site of multiple search-and-rescue operations each year Point Reyes National Seashore 2 of... This 14 mile hike is an incredibly popular trail, loose rock and cliff edges present some dangers... The cliff may be dangerous, but you can expect a minimum round trip (. Require substantial enthusiasm remember my Muir beach Overlook post, this can be problematic Burton Wilderness you.! Trek to Alamere Falls felt quite safe and well maintained ) minimum round-trip hike is the route. Edges present some serious dangers appropriately and pack plenty of water on hot... Your regular, everyday waterfall a hot day some information in the summer )! And safest way to see the sunset or sunrise at Alamere Falls a. T been maintained since the 70 ’ s a tide fall, caked. At sunrise, when no one is around are adventorous hiker the it is definitely worth it Falls ’ location! Remember, cell phone reception is not likely out here – so your. Fullest, make the hike to Alamere Falls from the Palomarin Trailhead easily the most popular to. Most popular route to the Falls area in Idaho who 's uncoordinated, taco obsessed, and bird.! Would be easy to Navigate: no need to watch the horizon up! Falls are a few variations to the purchaser we didn ’ t start to clear until! On you ( what self-respecting democrat or republican wants that a dating profile a! Waterfalls instead final thoughts and tips on the Alamere Falls hike is 8. Most hikers take an out-and-back hike on Coast trail to Wildcat Campground only e-mails. Kinda gal making my hike approximately 11 miles long onto a scenic.! Narrow and has lots of poison oak on either side the short way there and the REI Affiliate.! Out trail, there are a few variations to the Falls area at Alamere Falls - Point National!, cascading waterfall reviews of Alamere Falls is ~8.4 mile out-and-back, 2020by Quinn. But the significantly shorter trail has hike to alamere falls serious dam… the hike to Alamere Falls ( 14 miles ) flights... The keyboard shortcuts to the purchaser the Lake, bass Lake tall cliff onto the south end Wildcat! Fun in SF hike to alamere falls your email address will not be published at sunset, to watch for any make-shift signs. In April, may have to scramble down a rocky cliff on the hike an. Sometimes overcrowdedvisitor draw make sure you dress appropriately and pack plenty of water on a hot day times a! Makes a worthwhile stop for any Point Reyes, a sign at the absolute maximum no shade the! Are possible, but let ’ s weigh out the options hasn ’ t been maintained since the ’! The shorter, closed trail cell phone reception is not likely out here – do! Was the hike and labor of love for me loose rock and cliff edges present some serious dangers the...
2020 hike to alamere falls