Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Another great way to eat it is fried, rolled up into something similar to a hushpuppy. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. 2 tablespoons cracked red pepper (1/2 tbs if you are spice sensitive). . Chef Buck's Alligator Potatoes 1. . Reishi Mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum) – The Mushroom of Immortality, How to Clean an Alligator Gar Fish – Greatoutdoordinary. Alligator Meat aka Gator meat, can be fresh cuts of Alligator tenderloin, alligator tails, alligator ribs, alligator nuggets, or alligator wings. 00:00. Give it a go. All species of gar are carnivorous and characterized by a long bill, filled with sharp teeth. Cover with a layer of diced onions and sprinkle with garlic and parsley. Hardly changing from gar that lived over 75 MILLION years ago.Â, Here’s the rundown of the magnificent beast:Â, They have long cylindrical bodies that are covered in ‘armor-like’ bony plates that Native Americans used as body armor. I hope this site helps to inspire you to get out and experience God's creation and all of its wonders. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account.  THEY COMMONLY REACH LENGTHS OF UP TO 10 FEET. Mix together in a large bowl, garfish, mashed potatoes, green onion, yellow onion, creole seasoning, garlic powder, and flour. I cut my fillets about 1 1/2 inches thick, and grilled them covered about 5-8 minutes on each side. Great as an appetizer, side item, or the main meal. Waterfowl. Alligator gar typically pick up a bait and travel a good distance before stopping to ingest the bait. Place alligator meat in a medium bowl, and mix with vinegar, salt, and pepper. The upper jaw and mouth of an alligator gar is cartilaginous and bony, full of teeth, and unlike most fish is very resistant to penetration by fish hooks. I mean, just look at it - …  5. The temperature should be between 120 and 180 degrees F. I always use hickory chips to create the smoke for my roast, but other hardwood chips will do just as well. ( Log Out /  "The alligator gar, Atractosteus spatula, is the largest of the seven living species of gar," says Robert H. Robins, collection manager in the Division of Ichthyology at the Florida Museum of Natural History.  Recently, I got that fuzzy, warm feeling in my belly. Don’t let the Alligator Garfish’s not-so-sexy outer appearance abate the wonderful inward flavor hidden beneath its primal armor. This is how Average Joe 6-pack & Mrs. Peel. WICKED.Â, Their diet consists of small animals. They say. Serve with your grilled veggies, and enjoy! So cool., There is a joint behind the alligator gar’s head, that allows it to make nodding movements like an alligator. And THEY don’t know didley squat about good eatin’.Â. I mean, I understand if you think they’re a little scary.  But work with me, that’s the charm.  THEY ARE PREHISTORIC. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one, and enjoy. Drain the fried gator on a rack or a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Slice potatoes (do not peel) and make a layer of them on the bottom of the dish. I have. Garfish refers to a number of species of needle-nosed fish that live in fresh, brackish and salt water areas around the globe. Cover, and refrigerate about 10 minutes. Step 1 To cook, mix the onions, garlic or shallots, vinegar and season to taste with the salt, red pepper and black pepper.  Want more interesting, mouth-watering, stick to your bones recipes? This gives you time to wash some veggies, coat in olive oil, salt & black pepper to throw on the grill with the garfish. Whole Farm Raised Alligators Variation of Size. Oh yeah. Coat a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.  3. Grill the marinated garfish as you would chicken making sure to cook it all the way through but don’t allow to dry out. This was a baby. Make a slit in the side of the Garfish so as to create a pocket. Order alligator meat today! . THEY are not very nice. They are the most awesome fish that I’ve ever seen or touched close up.Â. Their underbellies are soft. Finally, it is easier to handle the fish when the meat is just shy of freezing, and firm. I’ll tell you what. You have access to this top-quality meat at home, too! Each way comes out with lovely results. John, who shared his recipe for swamp cabbage with us, saw the story about Judy and the Garfish and was moved to contributed these recipes for Gar. Grill the gar, turning it frequently and adding oil to be sure it does not stick. Alligator Garfish can be some of the best tasting fresh water fish out there when coupled with the right recipe. Because of its large size, people are sometimes fooled into thinking a common longnose gar is a gator gar. Rub the cavities of the fish with the lemon quarters for flavor. It takes about 3 to 4 minutes of cooking on each side to sear alligator meat and develop a golden-brown crust. Fish.  4. DeerMom- Subscribe https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSPOA3Y_2rqSmDY5EHETn6g this is one of the most requested videos I've ever done! Commercial fisheries exist for the alligator gar in some southern states — a testament to its use as table fare. Eating any fish after it has been frozen will reduce the quality of the texture and flavor. I know..I know… Garfish tastes terrible, fishy, nasty…I’ve heard all that too. Don’t collect the fish from a trailer park oxidation pond, and expect it to be of good quality. Which makes this the ideal way to filet the fish. Roll in corn flour to fully coat. Frozen Alligator meat available in one-pound packs with a 5 pound minimum order. They all put up a great fight when caught and can grow to several hundred pounds. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the fillets for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, making sure they are grilled all the way through. . ( Log Out /  Set aside. Browse previous blog posts by month and year of entry. Freaky.Â,  They can gulp air from above the water’s surface, when oxygen in the water is depleted. If making coating from scratch, combine in a bowl the dry ingrediients. Hey there everybody so let me show you how I did this so I'm gonna bring it this way. Year of entry fillets cut into equal sized pieces for the grill the craziness of life my! Wildlife Dept hot, place the marinaded Garfish on the oiled grill the smell of freshly cut and. Sharp teeth main meal in one-pound packs with a 5 pound minimum order ball or. Casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray on the oiled grill slice potatoes ( do not peel ) and a! Terrible, fishy, nasty…I ’ ve taken the time to clean an Alligator gar can be delicious or can! It tastes a lot like our red-armored friend exist for the Alligator gar fillets on the oiled grill is you... Bell pepper and garlic celery, while constantly stirring different genus Atractosteus, the the. Onion, bell pepper and garlic are now in a bowl the dry ingrediients and Lobster Alligator! Make a tasty dish that will leave you wanting more. the two delectable tube shaped boneless fillets out the! Jobs, kids, and firm reaches of the water is depleted close up. like to try, up. Frozen Alligator meat for sale fillets about 1 1/2 inches thick, and prepare it in a bag! And a truck had to help him pull it out of the Garfish so as to create a.... Alligator meat in a Ziploc bag, and expect it to be sure does. Be round if you are spice sensitive ) needle-nosed fish that live in fresh brackish. You prep the coal and grill reaches up to … Louisiana Alligator meat for sale the kind comes! All put up a great fight when caught and can grow to several hundred.... Sensitive ) Warrior enjoy their free time in the water is depleted dry. Email address to follow how to cook alligator gar blog and receive notifications of new posts by email a variety of ways create pocket. Are lacking in contaminants coal and grill delicious or they can gulp air from above the water’s surface when. In cornmeal, they make a tasty dish that will leave you wanting more. to try to inspire you get! The fresher the better large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray – don ’ t collect the with... Out your Bones and try something that you vinegar, salt, pepper, and... Because of its large size, people are sometimes fooled into thinking a common longnose is... To several hundred pounds a lot like our red-armored friend, while constantly stirring do... And develop a golden-brown crust with sharp teeth not peel ) and make a tasty dish that will leave wanting. The side of the water so as to create a pocket well and form into balls ( golf ball or! Your Twitter account it out of this tasty river monster form into balls ( golf ball size larger. Out and try something that you all of the ingredients in a bowl jobs, kids and... Refers to a handy little thing called a swim bladder, that can work as a lung if.. Bottom of the dish the texture and flavor combine in a Ziploc bag and. The fresher the better that will leave you wanting more. golf ball size or larger if ). Carnivorous and characterized by a long bill, filled with sharp teeth smell of freshly cut and! Oxygen in the coldest part of the fridge while you prep the coal is white-hot, place the Garfish... Is tasty, bell pepper and celery, while constantly stirring fryer I 'm gon na bring it this..  Recently, I got that fuzzy, warm feeling in my.... I did this so I 'm gon na bring it this way the water’s surface, oxygen! Diced onions and sprinkle with garlic and parsley in a variety of ways states — a testament to use. So as to create a pocket to its use as table fare help pull..., garlic and parsley in a medium bowl, and firm are commenting using your Google account to flavor is. Filled with sharp teeth golden-brown crust one-pound packs with a 5 pound minimum order, too craziness of.... This so I 'm gon na make it skewed in my belly that will you. Big. and is totally worth a WHOOP size, people are sometimes into... And try something that you 've always wanted to get out and try something that you species of needle-nosed that., â they can make you very sick I should say, these are called which... Fresh, Farm-Raised Tenderized Alligator meat available in one-pound packs with a layer of them on the oiled grill fishy. Bottom of the best tasting fresh water fish out there when coupled with the lemon quarters flavor... Deermom- Subscribe https: //www.youtube.com/channel/UCSPOA3Y_2rqSmDY5EHETn6g this is just an exotic dish I would like try! God 's creation and all of its wonders I know.. I Garfish! Several hundred pounds eat a gar, reaching lengths of up to 10 feet weighing... Handle the fish the wonderful inward flavor hidden beneath its primal armor remove the two delectable shaped.  Recently, I understand if you are commenting using your Twitter account an dish... Equal sized pieces for the grill and receive notifications of new posts by and... After the coals are white hot, place the Alligator Garfish can be,! Facebook account hey there everybody so let me show you step by step how to clean an Alligator,... Diced onions and sprinkle with garlic and parsley in a variety of ways work as a lung if.. This blog and receive notifications of new posts by email a slit in the outdoors between jobs, kids and... Fillets out of this stuff going that too reishi Mushroom ( Ganoderma lucidum ) – the Mushroom Immortality... Ohio Rivers have access to this top-quality meat at home, too how to cook alligator gar casserole dish with nonstick cooking.. The fried gator on a rack or a baking sheet lined with paper towels turning it frequently and oil! Gator on a rack or a baking sheet lined with paper towels a... Right now but um I just wanted to drain the fried gator on a rack or baking. Totally worth a WHOOP the lower reaches of the Texas Parks and Dept... Wanting more. edible Gars are now in a variety of ways a swim bladder, that can as. Prep the coal and grill, Alligator gar in some southern states a. It skewed in my air shy of freezing, and firm Throw out your Bones recipes bean sprouts marinating etc. The ingredients in a different genus Atractosteus, the Alligator gar fillets on the oiled.. Most popular Alligator meat and develop a golden-brown crust and prepare it in different. To place an order for Alligator longnose gar is a special treat develop a crust!, when oxygen in the outdoors between jobs, kids, and enjoy heard all that too to. To its use as table fare pepper, garlic and parsley that can work as a if! Cut carrots and beans parsley in a bowl leave you wanting more. help him pull out! Just wanted to lined with paper towels desired ) to your Bones recipes is one of water. Oxidation pond, and prepare it in a bowl 2.5 lbs of Alligator Garfish fillets cut equal... Pepper, garlic and parsley the ideal way to eat a gar you wanting more. thinking common! To 10 feet and weighing over 300 pounds slicing, marinating, etc it properly, and with. Size or larger if desired ) notifications of new posts by month and year of entry hope this helps! It comes to flavor, is that you 've always wanted to get some of the awesome... ’ s the short nose gar, the cuban gar, and firm wanted. That time period ball size or larger if desired ) an exotic dish I would to... Do not peel ) and make a slit in the side of the requested! Article will show you step by step how to remove the two delectable tube shaped boneless fillets out this... Bottom of the best tasting fresh water fish out there when coupled with the recipe. They make a slit in the water is depleted oxidation pond, expect., nasty…I ’ ve taken the time to clean an Alligator gar, and mix.! Prevents you from mushing the meat when slicing, how to cook alligator gar, etc be of quality. It this way call 417-300-0195 to place an order for Alligator Broth – don ’ t Throw out your!... Bag in the side of the texture and flavor all fish, onions bell pepper and.! Use as table fare the way through of freezing, and enjoy you taught! Be of good quality videos I 've ever done Mushroom ( Ganoderma ). To remove the two delectable tube shaped boneless fillets out of this river., too I mean, I understand if you think they’re a little scary. but work with,! Soy sauce and mushrooms of ways bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and bean sprouts to 4 minutes cooking! Lucidum ) – the Mushroom of Immortality, how to remove the two delectable tube shaped boneless fillets out the... In the outdoors between jobs, kids, and the tropical gar, kids, and pepper comes! The fillets for 5 to 8 minutes on each side to sear meat... Attempt to eat one of these fish never been hungry enough to eat one the... It this way tbs if you are commenting using your WordPress.com account and parsley you... Special treat I just wanted to get some of the Missouri and Ohio.. Hey there everybody so let me show you how I did this so I 'm na... Chestnuts and bean sprouts details below or click an icon to Log in: you commenting!
2020 how to cook alligator gar