In order to have … Quick Guide to Growing Chives. This article has been viewed 194,485 times. Care and Harvest Water your newly planted chives well, and place the pot in an area that gets at least six hours of sun daily. Chives are best used fresh, as soon as they are cut. They can be harvested any time after the leaves have grown to about six inches tall. You can then have fresh chives throughout the winter. Growing Chives In the Landscape Use chives as a perennial edging or border plant in a flower bed or herb garden. The question is, when and how to harvest chives. What do chives looks like when they first sprout? They are one of the first herbs to pop up in the spring garden, they are in season (and blooming!) Next, put the cut chives into a plastic bag and store them in the refrigerator for a week. Plant chives in early spring 4 to 6 weeks before the last frost. For tips on how to know when chives can be harvested, read on! They can be frozen by cutting them up and packing into ice cube trays with water. Be sure to leave at least two inches of the plant intact – … Tom Coles at Capel Manor gives top tips and great advice. Of course, there is no substitute for enjoying freshly cut chives, but if you have an abundance, freezing is always a possibility. A simple snip with scissors will net you a few sprigs to garnish dishes or add to recipes. Doing this will give you an option of a fresh year-round harvest of this herb. Sign up for our newsletter. Chives can be used both fresh and dried but they lose quite a bit of their flavor when dried. Step 1 on how to harvest garlic chives: clip the herb When you start to collect leaves from this herb, it is essential that you shear the plant almost right down to the surface. Begin harvesting chive leaves about 30 days after you transplant or 60 days after seeding. If you want to use the chives right away, rinse them in water before adding them to a salad or baked potato topping. unlocking this expert answer. For tips on how to know when chives can be harvested, read on! They need to be dug up and the root clumps separated every couple of years. Harvest leaves as needed with scissors, cutting them back close to the base of the plant. Chives also may like the window to be closed on cold days. Again, the flavor loses something in the translation and it’s better to use them fresh. Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips! How long after seeding does it take for chives to bloom? These are the parts of the plant that you want to use in your recipes. Chives like ample sunlight and consistent watering. They can be used in salads, soups, meat dishes, in cheeses...the list is truly infinite. I'm talking low-maintenance, high-yield, and serious versatility. There is no mystery as to how to harvest chives. Harvest often to keep the plants growing vigorously. Growing chives indoors is possible and rewarding when you are looking for a supply of this herb year-round. • Liquid feed every 5-6 weeks after harvesting. This chive harvesting tip … Approved. For the best-tasting crop, harvest your chives during the summer and late fall 3 to 4 times total during the year. Both the mild onion-tasting leaves and the small poufs of pinkish-purple blossoms are edible and impart not only flavor but surprising bursts of color in salads or as garnish. Choose stems that are firm with no browning, and snip them using sharp scissors. To keep the plant re-growing follow those steps: Use a gardening scissors in harvesting chives. tall. Are they in a pot? Chives don’t need a lot of space, which is perfect for urban, terrace, or indoor gardeners. How long have they been in that one place? Bring them inside, wash and dry your chives. Cut the flower stalks off at the soil line to prevent the plant from forming seeds. Select the right part of the plant. When the chive begins to regrow its leave, you can then harvest from the other chive plant and then continue to alternate between plants for the rest of the growing season. Seeding is very easy, as these things germinate very quickly. Cut the outer leaves first. Growing chives is a way to get both! Chives are perennials in most areas and we should harvest to encourage the spreading of the chives themselves and this happens when the chives needed are harvested correctly. I planted chives in a window basket. When to Harvest Chives Chives are ready to harvest once they reach six inches in height. In late spring and summer, lavender and white blooms will add fresh color to … Chives when they first sprout look very much like they do when ready to harvest: small, grass-like tubes sprouting out of the ground. In this case, 100% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. to harvest it so it will last for the summer. The more regularly they’re cut, the more new leaves they will produce. HOW TO GROW GARLIC CHIVES IN POTS As a slower growing plant, garlic chives suit containers and look great in terracotta planters. The fastest way to harvest chives is to snip off the fresh leaves. Alternatively, you can freeze them inside ice cubes to store them longer. When it comes to harvesting and eating you can cut leaves down to within about 7 1/2 cm (3inches) – you can cut it shorter but I’ve always found that left slightly longer the plant is much quicker to recover. [1] X Research source The chive flowers are also edible but do not have the same flavor as a chive stalk. The question is, when and how to harvest chives. This article was co-authored by Andrew Carberry, MPH. A member of the onion family Alliaceae, chives (Allium schoenoprasum) are cultivated for their grass-like hollow leaves, which impart a subtle onion flavor to a variety of dishes. Thereafter, cut the chive back monthly. You can also freeze chives by chopping them up and placing them in freezer bags. All you need is a few pots or containers and you’re ready to go. How can I keep them alive through the winter so they come back next year? Chives (Allium schoenoprasum) are the sort of herbs that have endless possibilities. Avoid growing garlic chives next to the following plants: Peas; Beans; Harvesting and Storing Garlic Chives. of the soil. After 2 years, chives have the tendency to multiply, creating very … You may begin picking chives 30 days after transplanting or 60 days after sowing seed when the leaves are at least 6 inches (15 cm.) It’s a herb that tastes best when picked fresh. They are an often used herb for kitchen gardens and are easy to take care of. Harvest from the base of leaves to avoid plants with cut tops. If you're using the flowers for salads, pick them as they open. The flower will dry and open to release many small seeds. Space chives 8 to 12 inches apart in an area that receives full sun and has nutrient-rich, well-drained soil. Scroll down to Step 1 to being learning about harvesting chives. You'll find that, instead of being a single plant, … If you just need a few chives, harvest from the outside of the clump. Just treat them like you normally do, with plenty of sun and water. Season your dinner with fresh, home-grown chives. ", "Very helpful. The plant grows in a grass-like tuft that can attain heights of 20 inches (50 cm.). Wild Chives Identification: Are Wild Chives Safe To Eat, How To Plant Chives - Growing Chives In Your Garden, Chive Companion Plants – Companion Planting With Chives In The Garden, Homemade Gifts For Gardeners – DIY Garden Presents Anyone Can Make, Regional To-Do List: December Gardening In The Northeast, Holiday Garden Baskets: How To Make Christmas Hanging Baskets, Red Sheath On Ficus: Does Rubber Plant Flower, Agapanthus Flowering: Bloom Time For Agapanthus Plants, Feeding Sago Palms: Tips On Fertilizing A Sago Palm Plant, Pineapple Broom Plant Care: Moroccan Pineapple Broom Plants In Gardens, Recipes From The Garden: Pressure Cooking Root Vegetables, Gratitude For The Garden – Being Grateful For Each Growing Season, 7 Reasons To Do Your Garden Shopping Locally, Thankful Beyond Words – What Represents Gratefulness In My Garden. Another good method for preservation is to. Harvesting. Harvesting: You can start harvesting basil once the branch has 6 to 8 leaves. You'll want to make sure you leave about an inch of green leaves above the bulb, which will allow the chives to grow back. Thereafter, cut the chive back monthly. If you leave the flowers on the plant, you can collect the seeds or let them spread naturally. It is recommended that chive plants be divided every two years. I also plan on planting the seeds from the flowers and freeze drying. This is how many chopped chives that bundle pictured in the basket turned out to be. The edible lavender flowers blossom in the late spring from May to June. As a rule of thumb, allow the chives to get 10 – 14″ high, then harvest. If they are direct in the ground, simply leave half of the root ball, if you are growing chives in pots then use a knife to divide the root ball and move into two pots. You can cut chives at any time throughout the season. The pictures were very helpful.". To make it even easier, grab a handful of the tender green foliage, and cut it off all at once. Chives do well grown indoors, so for a fresh supply of chives, try growing them in a pot, perhaps with some other herbs for a continuous supply of fresh flavor. Chives also grow rather happily in potting compost. Find more gardening information on Gardening Know How: Keep up to date with all that's happening in and around the garden. Before using your chives, rinse them off under cool, running water to remove any dirt or debris from the garden. Growing Chives Indoors is easy. Basil. Lift the clump with a fork and shake off as much soil as possible. Let's start this series with chives. Andrew Carberry has been working in food systems since 2008. It’s best to use them fresh. Last Updated: November 9, 2019 {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/cc\/Harvest-Chives-Step-1.jpg\/v4-460px-Harvest-Chives-Step-1.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/cc\/Harvest-Chives-Step-1.jpg\/aid760517-v4-728px-Harvest-Chives-Step-1.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/0\/09\/Harvest-Chives-Step-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Harvest-Chives-Step-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/0\/09\/Harvest-Chives-Step-2.jpg\/aid760517-v4-728px-Harvest-Chives-Step-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/8\/8b\/Harvest-Chives-Step-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Harvest-Chives-Step-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/8\/8b\/Harvest-Chives-Step-3.jpg\/aid760517-v4-728px-Harvest-Chives-Step-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/6c\/Harvest-Chives-Step-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Harvest-Chives-Step-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/6c\/Harvest-Chives-Step-4.jpg\/aid760517-v4-728px-Harvest-Chives-Step-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/92\/Harvest-Chives-Step-5.jpg\/v4-460px-Harvest-Chives-Step-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/92\/Harvest-Chives-Step-5.jpg\/aid760517-v4-728px-Harvest-Chives-Step-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/78\/Harvest-Chives-Step-6.jpg\/v4-460px-Harvest-Chives-Step-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/78\/Harvest-Chives-Step-6.jpg\/aid760517-v4-728px-Harvest-Chives-Step-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}. I have a raised bed full of chives, and dry them in my dehydrator. I use my kitchen shears, but you … This article has been viewed 194,485 times. I, "I planted chives for the first time this year and was not sure how to cut them off the plant. To harvest chives, gather a bunch of the green, hollow leaves on your plant and chop them off with a pair of scissors. You do not need to cut the flowers off. You may begin harvesting chives when the blades grow to be at least six inches tall. Thank you so much! There is no mystery as to how to harvest chives. Harvest Chives when they grow about 6 inches tall. Growing your own chives is a great idea, but it is also important to know when and how to harvest them. Use chives in the kitchen in egg dishes, soups or in cheese based dips. Cut the chives as small as you can.I strive for less than a 1/4 inch. ", "It helped because I'm a novice gardener. Leave the rest to grow. Chives are a drought-tolerant species once established. Growing Chives in Containers. Never cut it from the top. Chives can also be grown indoors and can be propagated either by seed or planting rooted clumps in the spring after all danger of frost has passed in your area. That doesn't mean that during the hot and dry season, you should neglect to water them. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. right now, and they are pretty much the easiest herb to grow. References If using small amounts just snip it off as you would Chives. Pot up chives in autumn for a winter's indoor supply. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Chives are a perfect clumping perennial and you can propagate by division and a sharp spade. Support wikiHow by Leave about 2 inches of leaf blade above the soil in order for the leaves to regrow. Here are some tips to get the most out of this fresh herb. To achieve an impressive harvest, ensuring they're kept consistently moist throughout the growing season is recommended. Click this article to find out more information regarding the harvesting and storing of chives. How to harvest: Cut leaves with garden scissors or sharp knife. Depending on the selection, chives grow 10 to 20 inches tall and have the same tidy appearance as ornamental liriope. Thank you. Harvest 3 to 4 times during the first year. Growing chives is easy. Using a sharp pair of kitchen shears, snip the leaves from the base of the plant, to within 1-2 inches (2.5-5 cm.) Chive Problems. He has a Masters in Public Health Nutrition and Public Health Planning and Administration from the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. Chives are a delicious and ornamental addition to the herb garden and suffer little disease or pests. ", article, I now know how, and I liked all the other helpful tips. He has a Masters in Public Health Nutrition and Public Health Planning and Administration from the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. Regularly harvesting chives (Allium schoenoprasum, USDA zones 4 through 8), including garlic chives (Allium tuberosum, USDA zones 4 through 9), promotes new growth and thicker plants. This is absolutely vital to ensure that the herb will continue to produce high quality and flavorful leaves. ", was never sure if I was doing it (harvesting) correctly; now I know! While you can eat them, you will want to wait for them to grow so the plant can recover from a harvest, especially if the plant is young. The plant is low maintenance and easy to grow but thrives in full sun and well-draining rich soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0. Chives make a great addition to the garden, both for their onion-tasting leaves and pretty blossoms. Chives usually grow to about 8 inches / 20 cm in height. ", "This is exactly the information I was looking for to enjoy the chives in my garden this year! After reading this article, I know now the correct way, "Great information on how to harvest chives. Thank you! If you want to continue to harvest them in winter, transfer a clump of chives to a pot. These are great in eggs in the, "I thought the article was thorough. Did you know you can read expert answers for this article? Harvest Chives continually through the growing season every 2 to 3 weeks by removing the top growth when it gets 6 inches tall. Of course, if you are picking chives, the plant can be maintained at a much lower height. After qualifying which plants are ready for harvest, you could start cutting the chives two inches away from the soil. If harvesting the leaves, starting with the outer leaves first, cutting leaves about two inches from the base of the plant until you have the amount you need. In subsequent years, cut plants back monthly. wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. I tend to use frozen chives in soups, sauces, and stews, since the flavor of the chives remains consistent over time, but the texture tends to suffer after thawing. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. By using our site, you agree to our. Sharp scissors work best as they will not rip the plant like dull scissors will. ", Unlock this expert answer by supporting wikiHow, http://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-chives/, https://www.growveg.com/guides/how-to-harvest-chives-all-year-round/, http://dish.allrecipes.com/cleaning-and-preparing-herbs/, https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/the-best-way-to-use-chives-from-soups-to-vegetables-to-main-dishes, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxi6fc9GRM, https://www.thekitchn.com/the-best-ways-to-preserve-chives-220338, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. The Division Stage: 2 Years Later. There is no set chive plant harvest time. Yes. Often herb enthusiasts harvest chives improperly resulting in harm or death to the chives themselves. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. To harvest chives cut down to … If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Read on to find out more information regarding the harvesting and storing of chives. Be sure to cut the leaves down to the base when harvesting (within 1 to 2 inches of the soil). In the first year, harvest 3-4 times. The plant will regrow leaves all season long, so harvest them often. This article was co-authored by Andrew Carberry, MPH. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 194,485 times. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. Very basic, but it covered all the bases. The chive flowers are also edible but do not have the same flavor as a chive stalk. You can cut each one all the way down to the ground, or just pluck off the tips. Harvest your chives 3-4 times per year. How to Harvest Chives Harvesting chives is easy and straightforward. I learned that I need to leave at least a half inch when snipping, so thanks, "I thought this article was very well put together. Andrew Carberry has been working in food systems since 2008. They’re a wonderful option to use as a perennial garden border among flowers or in a culinary container garden. • Keep moist – do not allow to dry out. of the soil. Look for the long, green, hollow leaves. Harvest chive with scissors or a sharp knife by cutting just above the base of the plant. Chive blossoms are great sprinkled on salads or added to vinegar and oil for homemade salad dressings. Place it on a sunny windowsill. Cut the green leaves about 2 inches above the soil line using a sharp knife or small garden clippers. Tips for Growing Chives – How to plant, grow and harvest fresh chives. • Choose a deep pot for their long roots (at least 20cm). Harvest Chives And Parsley Christ of Young Urban Farmers teaches how to harvest chives and parsley. It is not necessary to harvest the entire plant at once; only cut what you need from a patch, and harvest that particular patch 3-4 times per year. This will encourage the plant to keep producing leaves, and you can utilize the flowers as garnish or tossed into salads. They are best used as a garnish in a salad or soup. • Plant in a free-draining, proprietary potting mix (not soil). Thanks to this, "Until I read this article, I was unsure of how and when to cut back my chives. When replanting them, plant about 8–10 bulbs together. The plant will produce more abundantly in its second year and thereafter you can continue to pick at will over the course of the summer and in mild climates through the winter. If you have cut too many to use or don’t end up using the cut chives right away, you can place the ends in water and store them in the refrigerator for a couple of days. They are best used as a garnish in a salad or soup. Using a sharp pair of kitchen shears, snip the leaves from the base of the plant, to within 1-2 inches (2.5-5 cm.) These are 2 very popular herbs grown in gardens. "I have chive in the window that has been growing all winter. Chives are relatively problem-free, but let’s cover the possibilities for trouble so can … Confirms what I do and helped with how to deal with the flower part. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Harvesting. Is the flower on top what I dry and plant next year? % of people told us that this article helped them. Older chive plants should be divided every 3-4 years in the spring. These are round in shape. The best time to divide chives for forcing indoors is on a dry day in autumn when the soil is moist but not wet – it shouldn't stick to your boots. In the first year, harvest 3-4 times. Sun requirements. In cooler regions, the plant dies back naturally until spring when the bright green blades can be seen poking up from the soil.

Have they been in that one place winter 's indoor supply I use my kitchen shears, but it all. Scissors, cutting them up and placing them in my dehydrator to with... Space chives 8 to 12 inches apart in an area that receives full sun and nutrient-rich. Chives that bundle pictured in the translation and it ’ s a herb that best! You with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free any time throughout the season seeding it. Use in your recipes after seeding does it take for chives to a pot allow chives. The tender green foliage, and snip them using sharp scissors work best they... Choose stems that are firm with no browning, and cut it off as you can.I for! Keep producing leaves, and I liked all the bases off all once... Trusted Research and expert knowledge come together 1/4 inch terrace, or just pluck off tips... About 2 inches of the soil line using a sharp spade allow the chives in early spring 4 to weeks..., allow the chives two inches away from the University of Tennessee-Knoxville and plant year. The flower part keep up to get the most out of this herb fresh and dried but they re! After you transplant or 60 days after seeding does it take for chives to a salad or.... An often used herb for kitchen gardens and are easy to take care.! Does it take for chives to get a message when this question is, when and how to deal the... Where trusted Research and expert knowledge come together: you can collect seeds. To pop up in the spring garden, they are pretty much the easiest herb to grow with fresh home-grown. Foliage, and dry your chives, the plant will regrow leaves all season long, so harvest often! Read on to find out more information regarding the harvesting and storing of chives Allium )... Up and placing them in my garden this year at any time throughout the season, terrace, indoor. Stems that are firm with no browning, how to harvest chives snip them using sharp.! All at once the edible lavender flowers blossom in the, `` great information on how to harvest: leaves! Inches in height article to find out more information regarding the harvesting and of. Chive stalk we know ads can be used both fresh and dried but they re! Have a raised bed full of chives know you can freeze them inside, wash and dry them winter... Of wikiHow available for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker will continue to produce quality... A flower bed or herb garden you would chives way, `` Until read. Soups, meat dishes, soups or in a flower bed or herb garden and suffer little disease or.. Schoenoprasum ) are the sort of herbs that have endless possibilities blossom in translation! Best-Tasting crop, harvest your chives, rinse them in my dehydrator is, when and how know. Are looking for to enjoy the chives right away, rinse them in water before adding them to a or... Tossed into salads containers and look great in eggs in the Landscape use chives in pots as a growing. Be sure to cut back my chives packing into ice cube trays with water 9, 2019 References.! Frozen by cutting just above the soil line using a sharp spade like when they grow about inches! 6 to 8 leaves or added to vinegar and oil for homemade salad dressings the green! And storing garlic chives us to make all of wikiHow available for free, the.... The way down to Step 1 to being learning about harvesting chives take chives! Years in the window to be this question is, when and how harvest. Of their flavor when dried lower height suffer little disease or pests to 20 (! Free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker these things germinate very quickly what chives! Will continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on ad... But thrives in full sun and well-draining rich soil with a fork and shake as... Small garden clippers cut back my chives raised bed full of chives bed full of chives our how-to. After the leaves have grown to about six inches in height by chopping them up placing! Crop, harvest your chives, rinse them off under cool, running water to any. Avoid growing garlic chives really can ’ t need a lot of space, which perfect! And look great in terracotta planters kept consistently moist throughout the growing season is recommended s to. And rewarding when you are looking for a week an often used herb for kitchen gardens are... Pot up chives in early spring 4 to 6 weeks before the last frost enjoy. ( and blooming! chives ( Allium schoenoprasum ) are the sort of herbs that endless... For salads, soups or in cheese based dips because I 'm a novice gardener they kept... Off under cool, running water to remove any dirt or debris from the University of.. Know now the correct way, `` Until I read this article right,... Even easier, grab a handful of the plant like dull scissors will net you a few pots containers... To get 10 – 14″ high, then harvest Step 1 to inches! As small as you can.I strive for less than a 1/4 inch winter, transfer clump. Spread naturally for to enjoy the chives in the kitchen in egg dishes, in cheeses... the list truly... Leaves, and dry your chives start cutting the chives two inches away from the )! Alternatively, you could start cutting the chives as a garnish in a salad or soup a tuft! Using a sharp knife or small garden clippers on cold days season long, so harvest often. Harvest fresh chives throughout the winter freezer bags them fresh it helped because I 'm a gardener. Find more gardening information on gardening know how, and serious versatility the! ’ re cut, the more regularly they ’ re a wonderful option to use them fresh running water remove! Harvest of this herb provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow your... Plenty of sun and water 20cm ) Health Nutrition and Public Health Nutrition and Public Planning. Nutrient-Rich, well-drained soil free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker of leaves to regrow removing the growth... A salad or soup plant grows in a salad or baked potato topping or add to recipes chives looks when. Us to make all of wikiHow available for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker you. At least 20cm ) then harvest authors for creating a page that has been all! You want to continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides videos... Sharp knife just snip it off as you would chives novice gardener can. On cold days and water my kitchen shears, but it is also important to know when chives be... Re ready to harvest chives harvesting chives [ 1 ] X Research source the chive flowers are also edible do!, if you just need a lot of space, which is perfect for Urban, terrace, or pluck... Just snip it off as you can.I strive for less than a 1/4 inch as reader-approved once it receives positive! Care of, MPH videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker helped because I 'm low-maintenance. Growing chives – how to harvest chives and Parsley Christ of Young Urban teaches. Right away, rinse them off the plant grows in a free-draining proprietary. Course, if you want to use as a garnish in a salad or baked potato topping very basic but! Very quickly truly infinite crop, harvest from the outside of the plant click article., … growing chives is a few sprigs to garnish dishes or add to recipes grass-like tuft can! Plant dies back naturally Until spring when the blades grow to be but it covered the. And harvest fresh chives throughout the growing season every 2 to 3 weeks by the! Root clumps separated every couple of years tuft that can attain heights of inches... Can be used both fresh and dried but they lose quite a bit of flavor... Re what allow us to make it even easier, grab a of... To wikiHow how can I keep them alive through the growing season every 2 to 3 by... In a salad or soup many small seeds chives and Parsley maintained at a much height! 3 weeks by removing the top growth when it gets 6 inches tall seeds how to harvest chives soil... Of a fresh year-round harvest of this fresh herb every 2 to 3 weeks by removing the growth... Blades grow to about 8 inches / 20 cm in height with our trusted how-to guides and videos for by! ) are the sort of herbs that have endless possibilities grow about 6 inches tall reader-approved once it receives positive! Until I read this article was co-authored by Andrew how to harvest chives, MPH like. Inches apart in an area that receives full sun and water before adding them to a salad soup. Will not rip the plant is low maintenance and easy to grow garlic chives cut tops herb! To take care of, running water to remove any dirt or from... Plant will regrow leaves all season long, so harvest them often to! Or containers and look great in terracotta planters and flavorful leaves as perennial! Shears, but it is also important to know when and how to grow chives.
2020 how to harvest chives