We've written a guide for each test about the top 5 strategies you must be using to have a shot at improving your score. Other colleges have different procedures and departmental procedures vary. Also, a liberal arts college doesn’t focus on only one field/degree. Liberal arts colleges have the same goal as one another, but there are some that are more selective than others. (CampusGrotto/Flickr), College of Wooster Kauke Hall (Maitri/Flickr), Purnell Hall at the University of Delaware (Mathieu Plourde/Flickr), Samford Hall at Auburn University (Jason Coleman/Flickr). Overall, if you’re a B student but want to get into highly selective colleges, focus on ensuring that all other components of your college applications are as strong as possible. Whether you need help writing a resume, preparing for an interview, applying for graduate school, or figuring out how to best use your degree, Liberal Arts Career Services is available to help you with every step of the job search. Even though their GPAs tell that they got an average of B’s throughout high school, those could be B’s in more advanced classes. What are the best liberal arts colleges for B (as in grade) students? Students take courses in the humanities, arts, sciences, and social sciences. One thing to remember about this list is that the GPAs I provided were unweighted (4.0 scale), meaning it’s hard to tell if the students took AP/IB/honors classes through high school. According to U.S. News & World Report, the top ten ranked Liberal Arts Colleges in America for 2019, by alphabetical order are: Amherst College, Bowdoin College, Carleton College, Claremont McKenna College, Davidson College, Middlebury College, Pomona College, Swarthmore College, Wellesley College, and Williams College. As you can see, liberal arts colleges have very small undergraduate enrollment compared to most American universities, even the more selective ones. Who's Eligible? Because most good colleges for B students have an average SAT score of around 1200 and an average ACT score of around 27, you can look for colleges that match that criteria. I am an international student and I am not looking to get into Swarth or Pomona. Indiana University is currently ranked #79 by US News. 10 Ways To Get Paid While In College: Which One Is Your Favorite? On Big Future, you can’t search for colleges by average GPA, but you can search for colleges by SAT/ACT score and selectivity. He is firmly committed to improving equity in education and helping students to reach their educational goals. hbspt.cta.load(360031, '4efd5fbd-40d7-4b12-8674-6c4f312edd05', {}); Have any questions about this article or other topics? GPA and other stats (like SAT/ACT scores) are just thresholds that are important to meet. Liberal arts colleges offer a well rounded education, and many liberal arts colleges boast a strong return on investment. For instance, on our PrepScholar page for Syracuse University, Boston University and UT Dallas are listed as harder to get into, Penn State and Hofstra are listed as equally hard to get into, and Ohio University and Quinnipiac are listed as easier to get into. In fact, according to payscale.com, the best 30 year average net return on investment in the United States belongs to a liberal arts college-Harvey Mudd College. It's a very diverse group of students, and because there are 4 other colleges there, we have access to a wide range of classes, locations and experiences across the "5C's." However, liberal arts students can combine their leadership, problem-solving, ... College Art Association of America: CAA is an international advocate for the visual arts. For instance, according to our admissions calculator for Indiana University Bloomington, a student with a 3.2 GPA and a 29 ACT composite score would have about a 50% chance of getting accepted. Liberal arts colleges do help you focus on a field if you are interested, but your education focuses on being much more well-rounded. Swarthmore College is distinguished for its unique engineering degree program. Professors and not teaching assistants almost always lead classes, and as a result, students tend to really “connect” with their professors. Generally, the better your grades, the more college options you'll have. This webpage describes the application process for scholarships for full-time students enrolled in the College of the Liberal Arts at University Park campus during the academic year (fall and spring semesters only). Globalization has impacted the working culture of the industry, thereby leading to a demand for a youth who possess the required qualification and has a multi-dimensional approach. There are plenty of excellent schools for B students that didn’t make the list above. Here are some examples of things you can do to improve your application: Remember that colleges consider a multitude of factors when evaluating your application. If you're a good student … Ultimately, I tried to come up with a diverse list that included colleges from all regions and of all types, including large public universities and small liberal arts colleges. By strengthening any of these components, you can increase your odds of being accepted! These colleges range from very selective (25-50% of applicants admitted) to less selective (more than 75% of applicants admitted). … Generally, this is reflected in your weighted GPA, which weighs harder courses more heavily than regular classes. Find out if it really matters where you go to college. In addition, a large majority of the student body chooses to reside on campus. For each school, I listed its location, US News ranking, average GPA, average SAT score, average ACT score, and acceptance rate. Liberal arts colleges do help you focus on a field if you are interested, but your education focuses on being much more well-rounded. A-Plus Schools for B Students National Liberal Arts Colleges. By no means does this list contain all the great colleges for B students. Also, you might be able to make up for lower grades if you exhibit exceptional achievement in your extracurriculars. This indicates that grades are by far one of the most important factors in college admission. If your weighted GPA is less than 3.30, you might also want to take a look at the best colleges for students with a low GPA. Another great feature is located at the bottom of each school's profile page. See how other students and parents are navigating high school, college, and the college admissions process. That about finishes up our list of some of the liberal arts colleges for B students in the United States! If you're a good student with less-than-stellar test scores or a so-so GPA, these are the schools for you. We also have an admissions calculator on every school profile so you can roughly determine your odds of admission based on your GPA and SAT/ACT test scores. There, you'll see three lists: schools that are harder to get into, schools that are equally hard to get into, and schools that are easier to get into. It should go without saying that your grades are a huge factor in determining your college options. Ultimately, I tried to come up with a diverse list that included colleges from all regions and of all types, including large public universities and small liberal arts colleges. If you're an Olympic-level athlete or a successful entrepreneur, you might be able to gain admission into the most selective colleges—even with some Bs on your transcript. I'll provide a list of 29 of the best colleges for B students and explain how to find a good college if you're a B student. literature, philosophy), social sciences (ex. A liberal arts college is a four-year institution of higher education with a focus on undergraduate programs of study that lead to a bachelor's degree. Meanwhile, test scores from the ACT, SAT, etc., are deemed considerably important by only about 46% of colleges surveyed. We put together the top 25 best liberal arts colleges from around the US after combing through hundreds of schools. Posted August 28, 2020 by ecortellessa. Another pretty obvious thing is the student to faculty ratio. We promote the value of a liberal arts degree to students, parents, and high school counselors, and give liberal arts schools the opportunity to highlight their unique characteristics. ICU’s liberal arts education is liberating in a sense that you can gain a broad variety of knowledge in both the humanities and sciences, furthermore specializing into interested fields, and training you to think creatively with a solid and extensive grounding. SAT® is a registered trademark of the College Entrance Examination BoardTM. in National Liberal Arts Colleges About 10 miles outside of Philadelphia is Swarthmore College, a private liberal arts institution that also offers a … By contrast, the University of Michigan has an acceptance rate of 28%, and the average admitted student here has a GPA of 3.83/4.00. link to 10 Ways To Get Paid While In College: Which One Is Your Favorite? Check out our top-rated graduate blogs here: © PrepScholar 2013-2018. But the thing is, going to a non-liberal college does not mean you don’t learn. In terms of work load alone, 90% of students at the top nine liberal arts colleges say that they study three or more hours a day. If you've got a weighted GPA in the range of 3.30-3.80, all the schools below could be reach, target, or even safety schools for you. Our goal is to make it easy for students to discover top liberal arts colleges. My goal is to find the perfect school for myself and everyone who's reading this blog. Most liberal arts colleges only have an undergraduate program, so if you want a master’s or Ph.D., then you will have to find another college/university. New England liberal arts colleges, especially, are small and residential, with smaller class sizes. GPA is not the only part, and dare I say the most important part of your application. In fact, grades are one of the most important factors colleges use when deciding whether to admit you. Applicants must be pursuing an associate or bachelor's degree in general studies, liberal arts, or a similar discipline in the humanities. As I said, liberal arts colleges want to make sure their students focus their years on learning rather than just preparing to get a job. All rights reserved. 2. However, the schools listed are still schools that expect academic rigor. It's not just grades that mean something, though; colleges also want to see that you're challenging yourself with difficult courses. I considered a college accessible to B students if its average GPA for admitted applicants was less than a 3.75. The University is located in Sri City (Chennai). In fact, Georgetown and Northwestern both have a fantastic student to faculty ratio and classes that are on the smaller side. Study.com funds this award to graduating high school seniors. I categorized all the schools by region: West, Midwest, Northeast, and South. Typically classes have anywhere from 12 to 30 students in a classroom. Those skeptical of the idea to bring entrepreneurship support into more liberal arts colleges have misguided fears as well. Liberal arts colleges rely on student participation and encourage interaction, mentorship, and collaboration. Founded in 2015, FLAME University is one of the a private liberal arts colleges in India in Pune. Six leading liberal arts colleges are collaborating -- for students, parents and counselors -- because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Career Liberal Arts Career Services. But for some, particularly those from low-income families, the thought of going to college can be stressful and... First and foremost, we have to establish the selectiveness of the college we are talking about when it comes to this question. Also, you are not limited to schools such as Rollins or Oberlin College. Swarthmore College is a private liberal arts school which partners in the Tri-College Consortium, allowing students to participate in activities and take courses at Haverford College and Bryn Mawr College. A Comprehensive Guide. Here are a few different ways to identify other colleges that might work for you. If you’re a B student looking for a great college, be sure to research any of the colleges on this list that interest you. Is it really important for you to attend a top-tier school? List of the Best Colleges for B Students. The 5 Strategies You Must Be Using to Improve 160+ SAT Points, How to Get a Perfect 1600, by a Perfect Scorer, Free Complete Official SAT Practice Tests. Even as a B student, there are a number of ways you can improve your odds of getting into your dream school; this depends on where you are in the college application process. Having an average of B’s in AP/IB/honors classes looks better than having an average of B’s in regular classes. As the largest of the 10 UI colleges offering advanced degrees through the Graduate College, CLAS supports cutting-edge research, scholarship, and creative work through nearly 50 graduate and professional degree programs in the arts, humanities, and … Download it for free now: hbspt.cta._relativeUrls=true;hbspt.cta.load(360031, '688715d6-bf92-47d7-8526-4c53d1f5fe7d', {}); hbspt.cta._relativeUrls=true;hbspt.cta.load(360031, '03a85984-6dfd-4a19-93c8-5f46091f5e2b', {}); Justin has extensive experience teaching SAT prep and guiding high school students through the college admissions and selection process. Independent colleges can reaffirm and revitalize their educational missions by admitting a greater share of transfer students from community colleges, an especially promising avenue for small liberal arts colleges under threat of closure or merger due to steep declines in enrollment. Furthermore, I advise you to consult with teachers, counselors, parents, current students, and alumni to get more information and to further narrow your college search. Having been an administrator in higher ed for more than a decade, I can say that the best liberal arts colleges tend to be student-centric with smaller class sizes and an emphasis upon teaching versus independent research. Although you can still get into a great college as a B student, if you have any extra time before your college applications are due, I recommend using it to try to improve your grades. Liberal Arts and General Studies. Liberal arts takes a broader approach to education with the inclusion of an interdisciplinary curriculum. #1 Best Liberal Arts Colleges in America Sophomore: Pomona College is a great school with so many interesting people from all over the world! This is a number that outpaces multiple Ivy League schools. Photo Credit: Allen Grove. These liberal arts colleges heavily concentrated in learning the humanities (ex. As I said, liberal arts colleges want to make sure their students focus their years on learning rather than just preparing to get a job. Liberal arts colleges offer small classes where professors do not just lecture at students, but instead, require students to participate in the class discussions and often lead their own learning. But other than that, the student usually focuses on one or two specific fields of studies (your major(s)). There are a number of excellent colleges that admit B students. So in this example, the student with straight Bs would receive a 3.0 GPA, and the student with straight B+’s (assuming she took four honors classes out of six total classes) would get a 3.97 GPA. I compiled this list of great schools for B students by looking at various ranking lists, including US News, Forbes, and Niche. Some liberal arts colleges for B students (with an average GPA of about 3.5) include Rollins College, Wabash College, Beloit College, Oberlin College, and Lafayette College. Learn about the 23 best college towns. writing & theatre). That said, you can compensate for lower grades by excelling in other areas. What SAT Target Score Should You Be Aiming For? At a liberal arts college, a student is never just another number. However, some students are under the false impression that you need straight As in order to get into a wonderful college. This single application serves as the application for all scholarships offered through the College. Also, from my ~advanced~ research, I saw a common pattern that a liberal arts college gives you a well-rounded education. Small liberal arts colleges like Swarthmore and Williams have total undergraduate enrollments of about 2,000 students or less, whereas mid-size private schools like Johns Hopkins and Washington University of Saint Louis boast 15,000-20,000 total undergraduate enrollment. Liberal arts colleges are driven to make sure their students learn and have a broad perspective on many topics. Colleges take many factors into account when determining admissions, including grades, classes, standardized test scores, extracurriculars, recommendations, and the personal statement. If your dream school is not on this list, it doesn’t mean that the school is bad or you are not qualified enough for the school; go with what makes you happy!*. Undergraduate Studies - KREA University KREA University was launched in 2018 and it had been approved the rank of State Private University by UGC. As a result, the entire student body is small, normally around 700 to 2500 students. Ask below and we'll reply! I’ll say it again if you forgot my disclaimer, but you are not limited to this list. Our new student and parent forum, at ExpertHub.PrepScholar.com, allow you to interact with your peers and the PrepScholar staff. For the first two years, students take general education courses and courses that they are interested in. Liberal arts colleges also typically have smaller student bodies, which means students will find a tight-knit community and unique campus culture. Colleges and universities are often proud of their status as one or the other, and both offer benefits for college students (though students may find they distinctly prefer one or another). Below, we introduce our list of great colleges for B students. I am A College Kid. Preferably ones with over 2,000 in total students and not-too-expensive. Why should I go to a liberal arts college? Our PrepScholar database contains profiles for every college. As a B student, you might have trouble getting into schools in the top 50 on the US News and Forbes rankings lists; however, you might have a decent chance of getting into a school in the top 100. Usually, the core requirements for graduation from a liberal arts college include classes across all core subject areas. Location: Towson, Maryland What Makes it Special? As you may know, a lot of universities require every student to take a particular course or courses during their years at their university. 29 Great Colleges for B Students and How to Get In, Get Free Guides to Boost Your SAT/ACT Score, Stanford only admits around 5% of its applicants, University of Michigan has an acceptance rate of 28%, a 2019 study on the state of college admission conducted by the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC), best colleges for students with a low GPA. For all regions, the listed US News ranking is for National Universities unless otherwise noted. The College ranks among the top 50 liberal arts colleges nationally and as one of the top ten best value liberal arts colleges in the country (U.S. News and World Report). You can use these lists to identify other schools that might interest you. Considering there are almost 3,000 four-year colleges, the #100 college is still better than over 99% of colleges in the US. These are schools that are listed as "equally hard to get into" on Syracuse's profile. Liberal arts colleges appear to make you think very critically, which I think may be due to the more one-on-one communication with other students and faculty. And don’t just pick a school because you feel it is the only one you are qualified for. I am not technically in the college yet, but I am learning about the colleges. All else being equal, a student who got all Bs in regular classes is going to be much less qualified than a student who got all B+'s in mostly honors and AP classes. The colleges -- Amherst, Bowdoin, Carleton, Pomona, Swarthmore and Williams Colleges -- will not be collaborating on admissions decisions or on financial aid. If you go to the Olympics, you can get into a good school with lower grades. Ask questions; get answers. There are lots of reasons a student might want to attend a liberal arts college. The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) is the academic home of approximately 1,900 graduate students at the University of Iowa. A liberal arts school generally provides a broad educational base across many subject areas. A college (I hope) wouldn’t throw your application away just because your GPA is a little below their average. ACT Writing: 15 Tips to Raise Your Essay Score, How to Get Into Harvard and the Ivy League, Is the ACT easier than the SAT? Even after a student has gained admission to a top liberal arts school, expectations continue to remain very high. For many, a college diploma can be the key to a brighter and more stable future. I gave extra weight to the US News rankings because they’re the most referenced and prestigious of the college rankings. For this portion of the article, I’ll be using GPAs (between ~3.3 and ~3.7) provided by PrepScholar. For example, if you had a 3.4 weighted GPA and a 33 ACT score, you’d probably be able to get into much more selective schools than would a student who has the same GPA as you and a 27 ACT score. *Big disclaimer: I’m giving the average GPA for the students who attend these universities, but that doesn’t mean that having this GPA of about 3.5 is a ticket to getting in. What ACT target score should you be aiming for? Use the school websites, finders, guidebooks, and ranking lists to guide your research. Do you want to go to a college in the Midwest or the South? Since super selective colleges will likely be a big reach for you, you might want to set your sights on quality schools that are significantly less selective. You can select additional search filters to help find schools that better fit what you want in a college. Current college students may also apply if they have at least 30 semester credits left to complete. Want to improve your SAT score by 160 points or your ACT score by 4 points? Grades and test scores are usually a sort of threshold you need to pass for the college to seriously consider as a student (they determine this with other parts of your application such as essays and extracurriculars). With its spacious green campus – known for its Mitaka forest (620’000 meter square), ICU is definitely the place for contemplating ideas freely. The 5 Strategies You Must Be Using to Improve 4+ ACT Points, How to Get a Perfect 36 ACT, by a Perfect Scorer. : featured in Loren Pope's well-regarded Colleges That Change Lives; 11 to 1 student / faculty ratio; chapter of the prestigious Phi Beta Kappa for strong liberal arts and sciences; robust study abroad program with financial support for students; test-optional admissions; new $48 million Athenaeum with a state-of … Scholarships are not guaranteed upon submission of a scholarship application, nor are they automatically renewed after the … There are many reasons students enroll in liberal arts colleges. link to Does a C in an AP Class Look Bad. Liberal arts colleges tend to be smaller, so students have easier access to professors and smaller, more discussion-based classes. By no means does this list contain all the great colleges for B students. You can also go on college visits to truly get a feel for some of these schools and determine whether they might be a good fit for you. The University was established via a group of academicians, int As students began thinking about the colleges that they plan to visit and/or apply to, they may hear terms like “liberal arts colleges” and “research university” being thrown around. If you’re at the end of your junior year or the beginning of your senior year and you have mostly Bs on your transcript, don't freak out: you can still gain admission to an excellent college. According to a 2019 study on the state of college admission conducted by the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC), 75% of colleges believe that overall GPA and grades in college prep courses are considerably important admission factors. political science & anthropology), and/or arts (ex. The College Entrance Examination BoardTM does not endorse, nor is it affiliated in any way with the owner or any content of this site. Are you looking for a traditional college experience in a fun setting? Keep in mind that US News separates its school rankings into four categories: National Universities, National Liberal Arts Colleges, Regional Universities, and Regional Colleges. According to the NACAC study, 84% of colleges deem the rigor of a student's course load at least moderately important. Many colleges in America offer liberal arts programs, but that doesn’t mean they are a liberal arts college. Lastly, here are the ranges for GPA and other items on our list: Pepperdine is pretty. Get the latest articles and test prep tips! I suggest looking up the profiles of the schools on our list above to find other schools that are about as selective and to get even more good colleges for B students. Most of the schools on our list are National Universities and National Liberal Arts Colleges; no Regional Colleges made the list. Besides the fact that liberal arts schools tend to place a higher focus on undergraduate students and programs, they also offer more financial aid, teach smaller class sizes, and encourage critical thinking and discussion at a comparatively higher level. The advantages of attending the best liberal arts colleges are that the students receive more help from professors, a well-rounded education full of discovery and connections is acquired, and critical thinkers are bred. A school's profile lists its acceptance rate, average GPA, and average standardized test scores. Liberal arts colleges have staff dedicated to full time teaching, not graduate student teaching assistants and research professors. Students stress and worry that a few Bs will sentence them to an inferior university. KREA University is an approaching international university. Okay, some of you have seen my other (general) thread but the only missing piece is a few liberal arts colleges. Program Features Soka University of America’s tiny student body (around 450) and 8:1 student to faculty ratio creates a tight-knit community of learners. Justin received an athletic scholarship for gymnastics at Stanford University and graduated with a BA in American Studies. Members can explore employment, internship, and publishing opportunities through an online career center. Top Liberal Arts colleges in India are offering courses to students that broaden their scope of employment opportunities. Again, this doesn’t mean non-liberal arts colleges don’t have a small student to faculty ratio or small classes. From what I’ve gathered from my ~advanced~ research, a liberal arts college is an institution that is primarily meant for a student to learn, rather than solely focus on getting a job (at least that’s what they are supposed to be). Choose which school you think will make you flourish; I wish you the best of luck! Fortunately, getting Bs won't prevent you from being able to go to a good school. FAC 18 | (512) 741-7900. To find a school's profile, search for "[School Name] PrepScholar admissions" on Google. Beginning from third y… 2020 Liberal Arts Colleges Ranking. In other words, just getting good grades isn't enough—you also need to get good grades in tough classes. Then check out my lists of the best colleges in the Midwest and the South. For example, Stanford only admits around 5% of its applicants, and its average admitted student has a high school GPA of 3.95/4.00. What I’m trying to say here is that you should choose which college feels right for you because you’ll be spending years at that school.
2020 liberal arts colleges for b students