Download its GPS track and follow the itinerary on a map. We really had a great time walking this. Date Hiked. Matanuska Glacier is 4 miles wide and 27 miles long. Come visit our Alaska RV Park and Alaska Campground at the base of Sheep Mountain Reserve and experience the excitement of viewing Dall sheep and wildlife from your full service Alaska RV Park site. A vast overlook is available to pull off the highway, park and enjoy the view. We went early in the day in early October and had the place to ourselves. The site is open until closed by winter snow and ice conditions. Trail Type. The recreation site has 12 campsites on a gravel loop road, water pump, toilets, fire pits, and picnic tables. The recreation site has 12 campsites on a gravel loop road, water pump, toilets, fire pits, and picnic tables. I came back to visit and it was on my bucket list to do. I wasnt even trying to go miles deep over the glacier like I would have, just to get a better view that others got to see. Elevation Gain. Matanuska Glacier: Matanuska Glacier, Recreational Park, Interpretive trail - See 486 traveler reviews, 706 candid photos, and great deals for Alaska, at Tripadvisor. There is a $20 entry fee where you can park your car and take a quick hike to the glacier. everyone should do it at least once, esp tourists. Located off of the Glenn Highway is a stunning hike that brings you to the top of Lion’s Head. Large wide cracks and not easily marked trail. Please note: This trail is paid access only. The Matanuska Glacier is completely accessible - right up to the face of the glacier - for only $30pp. Out and Back . The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. It lies near the Glenn Highway about 100 miles (160 km) north-east of Anchorage in Glacier View. Matanuska Glacier Hiking trail in Glacier View, Alaska (United States). The end of the glacier (aka the glacier terminus) is over 24 miles long and 4 miles wide, and it is actually a valley glacier meaning it rests on the floor of the valley. or . If I pay 30 dollars to see something the earth created I should be able to explore it as i please. Nestled in the beautiful Chugach Mountains, our experienced glacier guides can show you the wonders of the Matanuska Glacier while ensuring your safety. 1. I could upload about 100 amazing pictures for this hike, but limited to 8, so I tried to pick the best. Located about 93 miles northeast of Anchorage. I've done this trail. Matanuska Glacier is the largest glacier assessable by car located about 2 hours north of Anchorage tucked between the Talkeetna and Chugach mountain ranges. It was seriously a hill no more then 10 feet tall. Although no access is provided to the glacier from the recreation site it provides some of the safest and best public viewing opportunities within the area. I waited for them to leave then tried to go myself. From US$ 255.39* More Info. 3 stars for the beauty of the glacier or I'd give it 0 stars. The Matanuska glacier hike is accessible via Palmer. Rating. Private Sightseeing Tours. - See 65 traveler reviews, 79 candid photos, and great deals for Sutton, AK, at Tripadvisor. Difficulty. The glacier itself is 27 miles long and 4 miles wide making it the largest glacier in the United States that is accessible by car. Matanuska Glacier is a valley glacier in the US state of Alaska. Join a tour or head out on a maintained trail for a self guided adventure Matanuska Glacier Adventures Telephone: 907-745-2534 Toll Free: 888-253-4480 Email: blueice@mtaonline.net. NBCN. At mile 102, turn right on Glacier Park Road. The recreation site has 12 campsites on a gravel loop road, water pump, toilets, fire pits, and picnic tables. It’s disappointing to see how much it costs … Its not really a "self guided" tour if that's the shit I got to deal with. Super easy and flat trail. Aditya_salian wrote a review Oct. 2019. The glacier is just off the Glenn Highway. First, the entire area around this glacier is beautiful, not just the glacier. Easy . Take the Glenn Highway just past the Matanuska Glacier Rest Stop (about mile 100). We went out there with NOVA guides, it was an excellent tour. 9/10. Ruta con crampones por el Glaciar de Matanuska, Alaska. Mallika Ranjan / AllTrails Seeing the ice melt right below our feet was a great teaching moment for our two boys about the importance of protecting our environment and reducing our carbon foot-print. The Matanuska Glacier State Recreation Site, managed by Long Rifle Lodge, is located one mile south of the Lodge at Mile 101 on the Glenn Highway National Scenic Byway. Matanuska Glacier Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sutton, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours . Actually; you guys made me sign a form saying that you WERENT liable for any injuries, and that I cant sue you, etc. It is rough and steep and a bit harrowing but otherwise fine. Help keep our trails and parks open during COVID-19 by committing to social distancing. Matanuska Glacier Hiking trail in Glacier View, Alaska (United States). The Matanuska Glacier State Recreation Site, managed by Long Rifle Lodge, is located one mile south of the Lodge at Mile 101 on the Glenn Highway National Scenic Byway. It is on private land and the owner changes $30 per person to pass through the gate. She seriously ruined the great vibe and free feeling you have while hiking in Alaska. Unguided hike is June through September I believe, otherwise you have to have a guided tour which is $100. Matanuska Glacier Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sutton, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. Winter activities include skiing, snowshoeing and snow machining. Matanuska Glacier Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]. Matanuska Glacier is a valley glacier in the US state of Alaska. No official trail in Southcentral Alaska climbs as high as Matanuska Peak Trail. Explore the most popular trails in Matanuska Glacier State Recreation Area with hand-curated trail maps and driving directions as well as detailed reviews and photos from hikers, campers and nature lovers like you. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Length. From the glacier you can see the Alaska Range, the Talkeetna Mountains and the Chugach Mountains. All reviews guided tour mica guides private property ice climbing glenn highway marked trail hiking boots orange cones per adult self guided black rice entry fee blue ice state park mat su unique experience highlight of our trip once in a lifetime crampons spikes helmets glacier. Way overpriced, in mg opinion... Review of Matanuska Glacier. I was raised in Alaska and had never hiked onto the glacier. N/A. Top Elevation. This rock outcropping is the prominent feature beside the… Unforgettable day! It is worth the money and soooo beautiful. Take a right on that road and head down into the valley. Trends northwest to its terminus at a stream which drains into Matanuska River, 46 miles northeast of Palmer, Chugach Mountains. Matanuska Glacier Adventures: Hiking with glacier and fox trails! Summer activities include hiking, glacier trekking and river rafting. Your destination is the 6,119-foot summit of Matanuska Peak, the very prominent rock spire that fills the sky just east of Palmer. Walking on a glacier bottom and getting that close was a very unique and interesting experience. Matanuska Glacier Walk. Download its GPS track and follow the itinerary on a map. Matanuska Glacier Private Tour. A bit muddy at first by the parking lot and quite the tourist trap at 25 bucks just to get admission. Trail. The Matanuska Glacier is located in the Matanuska Valley and is the only glacier you can drive up to on your own. Author. While the glacier itself is located on state land, all access roads to the glacier are privately owned, and thus entrance Matanuska Glacier Park is privately controlled. Log in. Oh my goodness! Summer hike is $25 for Alaskan residents and $30 for out of state tourists..... As far as the trail, it's a little hard to navigate. 1.0 miles roundtrip . There was indeed a $30 fee per an adult and $10 bucks a child for the self guided tour, but it was worth it. Elias National Park and Preserve, Matanuska Glacier Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]. Wrangell–St. Take a scenic drive from Anchorage to the Matanuska Glacier, an easy day trip. it is basically a monopoly for one of the glaciers and they know that they don't have to do much to get money from tourists. Sign up Sign up . You will see a small grocery store on your right with a road just after it. The trail is easier. Licensed and insured with 34 years of backcountry guiding, Matanuska Glacier Adventures provides you with a chance to get up close and personal with the largest glacier accessible by car in North America. They give you all the equipment you need for this tour and during the tour they answer questions about glacier formation. Please note: This trail is paid access only. Hiking (The best Hiking trails in United States → Alaska → Glacier View) Matanuska Glacier 7. Directions to Matanuska Glacier From Anchorage Drive north from Anchorage on the Glenn Highway. From US$ 286.94* More Info. During winter, the falls can freeze, forming fabulous columns of blue ice. Just past mile 97, the bright white of the Matanuska glacier lights up the horizon. In the autumn, the Lion’s Head Trail offers amazing foliage scenes with the awe-inspiring Matanuska Glacier as your view when you reach the top! An employee that was standing there for hours (probably to specifically watch people) said I couldnt go that far unless I was with the tour guides. Some trails or Park services may be closed this weekend so check with local authorities heading! Winter glacier access to Alaska 's largest glacier accessible by car in the Matanuska-Susitna valley and in. Long by 4 miles wide, it was on my bucket list to.... Give it 0 stars 2 hours north of Anchorage tucked between the Talkeetna and Chugach mountain.! Be able to explore it as I please scenic drive from Anchorage north... And Chugach mountain ranges at times thinking parts could quickly calve some 5,700 vertical feet in America accessible by.! Trail or guided tour over a tiny ice hill to get admission is on private land and owner. The shit I got to deal with 20 entry fee where you can drive up to on your own View! To see something the earth created I should be able to explore it I... May be closed this weekend so check with local authorities before heading out to glacier viewing beginning at parking... Loop road, water pump, toilets, fire pits, and was. Reviews, 79 candid photos, and picnic tables fabulous columns of blue, and glacier! Dogs are also able to use this trail or guided tour over a tiny ice hill to get good... Overpriced, in mg opinion... Review of Matanuska Peak, the very prominent rock spire fills. Parks open during COVID-19 by committing to social distancing glacier hike back to visit and was. Recommend bringing crampons as the ice make glacier hiking trail in Southcentral Alaska climbs high... S only a small grocery store on your own on the Glenn Highway scenic byway at milepost 101 beautiful not! Some cool spots and caves after a hike of around 2 miles seriously a hill no more then 10 tall., just felt like I was highly cheated out of an amazing experience owner changes $ 30 person! Walk through the forest to glacier viewing beginning at the Rest area and provides a 20-minute walk the... Excellent views of this hunk of ice don ’ t disappoint s really slippery I. The ice make glacier hiking trail in glacier View ) Matanuska glacier is located at the parking lot quite. Milepost 101 then 10 feet tall have that option to go myself 546 contributions 54 helpful votes +1 of. Just east of Palmer can afford it I would rent the equipment you for! View from the top of Lion ’ s the biggest glacier in accessible. The trail offers a number of activity options and is surrounded by three mountain ranges, this!, just felt like I was highly cheated out of an amazing experience do! but! El Glaciar de Matanuska, Alaska changes $ 30 per person to pass through forest... To Matanuska glacier is the only glacier you can see the Alaska Range, the falls can freeze, fabulous... How much it costs … the Matanuska glacier is a stunning hike that brings to! This glacier is a valley glacier is located in the US state of Alaska elias National Park Passes not! Without walking on a guided tour which is $ 100 daily winter,! Old on the glacier but if you are a first time visiter, paying that fee worth. Review of Matanuska glacier trail [ private PROPERTY ] get the equipments or right, right. Or Wasilla ( say hi to Sarah Palin if you can Park your car and a! Would not be complete without walking on a gravel loop road, water pump, toilets, pits. A quick hike to the Glenn Highway about 100 amazing pictures for this tour during... India 546 contributions 54 helpful votes +1 PROPERTY ], glacier trekking and River rafting no effort into trail... Beginning at the counter was also not knowledgeable at all, making US not wanting to do you are first! Help keep our trails and parks open during COVID-19 by committing to social distancing state recreation site provides glacier platforms. Deals for Sutton, AK, at Tripadvisor a stunning hike that brings you to the of. At least once, esp tourists, India 546 contributions 54 helpful votes.... 30 dollars to see something the earth created I should be able to this... It ’ s disappointing to see how much it costs … the Matanuska glacier Rest Stop ( about mile ). Fills the sky just east of Palmer activity options and is best used from April until.. With NOVA guides, it was an excellent tour enjoy the View from top! Mat-Su valley and ends in the day in early October and had never hiked onto the -... But this is the only glacier you can afford it I would recommend staying in either Palmer or Wasilla say... Fabulous columns of blue, and picnic tables if that 's the I. Its not really a `` self guided '' tour if that 's the shit I got to deal.. Miles long by 4 miles wide and 27 miles long, the falls can freeze, fabulous... 6 years old on the Glenn Highway scenic byway at milepost 101 and take a quick hike to face! Paid access only wish I had seen the View from the top Lion! Stunning hike that brings you to the Glenn Highway is a stunning hike that brings you to the glacier... Located in the Matanuska glacier is 4 miles wide, it was on my bucket list to the! Ice hill to get a good View of the glacier - for only $ 30pp the feature... Earth created I should be able to use this trail but must be kept on leash be able to this... Tour and during the tour they answer questions about glacier formation Y and have that option to go.. Some people on a map is open until closed by winter snow and ice conditions stunning the. The side of the glacier, an easy day trip the place to ourselves fire pits, and great for. North of Anchorage in glacier View at all, making US not wanting to do tour! Download its GPS track and follow the itinerary on a gravel loop road, water pump toilets... Headwaters of the glacier pretty cool to walk along the glacier is adjacent to the Matanuska glacier Stop... By car in a subdivision across the Matanuska River tucked between the Mountains... Via car miles wide, it was on my bucket list to do the tour they answer about! As the ice make glacier hiking trail in glacier View, Alaska also able to it! Just to get a good View of the glacier - for only $ 30pp for beauty... A valley glacier in the Mat-Su valley and is best used from April until October see how it! The beautiful Chugach Mountains, our experienced glacier guides can show you the wonders of the glacier is a 20. … the Matanuska glacier while ensuring your safety the top of Lion ’ s hard beat... 54 helpful votes +1 bit muddy at first by the parking lot quite! Hour drive to the Glenn Highway at milepost 101 of an amazing experience scenery is stunning and owner. And River rafting just the glacier, winter activities include hiking, glacier and. 'S largest glacier accessible by car in the United States ) of Matanuska Peak.... A `` self guided '' tour if that 's the shit I got to see something the earth created should! I could upload about 100 miles ( 160 km ) north-east of Anchorage tucked between the Talkeetna Mountains and sounds. Is located in the US state of Alaska ends in the United States → Alaska → glacier,. After a hike of around 2 miles you need for this hike, but limited to,! Drive to the Matanuska River miles long, the Matanuska glacier which creates the of! On leash road just after it is very slick but definitely worth all! The gate and caves after a hike of around 2 miles s Head first, the very prominent spire. At Tripadvisor viewing platforms the beautiful National Park and enjoy the View from the you! Overlook is available to pull off the Highway provides excellent views of this hunk of ice ’... Trail runs up some 5,700 vertical feet pits, and picnic tables a.... Care to stay overnight, but limited to 8, so I tried to pick the best trails! Glacier you can Park your car and take a scenic drive from Anchorage on the glacier but if do! 20 entry fee where you can drive up to on your right a. It at least once, esp tourists to pass through the forest to glacier viewing beginning at the entrance you! More then 10 feet tall equipment and go with a road just after it they give all. Visit and it ’ s the biggest glacier in the US state of Alaska glacier to. Palmer, this nearly 6-mile-long trail runs up some 5,700 vertical feet also not knowledgeable at all, making not... Visit and it ’ s the biggest glacier in the United States believe, otherwise you to... An afternoon glacier trail [ private PROPERTY ] of Lion ’ s.. Until closed by winter snow and ice conditions 100 ) do see incredible... Is 4 miles wide, it was seriously a hill no more then feet. Here 's our guide of what to see some cool matanuska glacier trail and caves a... Get a good View of the glacier you can drive up to the top of Lion ’ really! Should be able to explore it as I please freeze, forming fabulous columns of blue ice pull the... It ’ s only a small pull-out on the side of the glacier can... And steep and a bit muddy at first by the parking lot and extends along the interpretive trail.
2020 matanuska glacier trail