This is MSI’s lightest laptop ever, just 1kg. When I pulled it out of the box, I immediately made quite a few unpleasant noises about its appearance. It lacks the luxury and some of the speed of the Huawei Matebook Pro, and it’s not as nice looking as the slower Lenovo Yoga 700 series, but that’s ok. Life is about compromises, and the compromises of the MSI PS42 aren’t that bad. It also did much, much better than the Huawei laptop in our game benchmarks. When I pulled it out of the box, I immediately made quite a few unpleasant noises about its appearance. If you prefer a glossy finish, a 4K resolution, or even a touch screen, however, you're out of luck. When I pulled it out of the box, I immediately made quite a few unpleasant noises about its appearance. r/MSILaptops: This subreddit is about the famous laptop company called MSI (Micro-Star International). Posted by 1 year ago. It starts at $1,499) and can go up to $1,799 (though we have seen it for $1,699 via Mwave) depending on how you configure it, so … MSI PS42 8RB Specifications Lets take a look at the detailed specifications of the MSI PS42 8RB before we proceed with the review. The chiclet keyboard is another of the PS42's bright spots. Enter your email below. #CommissionsEarned. Some people might even be ok with the ugly finish dogging the PS42. It’s super fast in games, only moderately fast in day-to-day tasks. MSI PS63 Modern Review. Bass is almost non-existent, and the laptop failed to fill our living-room-size audio-testing room even at maximum volume while watching several movie trailers on YouTube. Here's a closer look at MSI's flagship SKU, the Gaming … Best of all, the directional arrow keys are arranged in the preferred inverted-T arrangement, and they're even full-size instead of the up and down arrow keys squeezed into a single row like you'll find on the MacBook Pro or many HP laptops. Gifts MSI Gaming Shield Mouse Pad; Gifts MSI Force GC20 Wired Gaming Controller; Gifts MSI DS501 Gaming Headset; Gifts MSI Lucky Edge of the Cup . For comparison, note that Apple's MacBook includes just a single USB Type-C port, a headphone jack, and nothing else. Be warned, though: the MX150 is not a substitute for a high-end graphics card from Nvidia's GeForce GTX series. Intel Core i5 vs. i7, How Fast Is Apple's M1 Chip? Under the hood, the MSI PS42 8RB is rocking an Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8GHz quad-core processor, NVIDIA MX 150 GPU, 8GB DDR4 RAM, and a 512GB NVMe SSD. Also, MSI has elected to put common secondary functions for keys, like adjusting volume and screen or key brightness, on these extra keys and the arrow keys instead of on the function key row. [Review] MSI Prestige PS42, Laptop Ultra-Thin Elegan Untuk Para Profesional . To be fair, that’s a minor complaint. On the right side, you get a full-size SD card slot, a USB Type-C port, and two USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports. MSI PS42 8RB-243IN best price is Rs. The new laptop features 10+ hours of battery life, a fingerprint sensor for security, Nvidia GeForce discrete graphics and up … Tldr: The lightest laptop (by far) capable of playing the newest games in med to high details. Overall score: 82/100. menu. The Dell XPS 13 is conspicuously absent from the charts above because the most recent version we tested, which received an Editors' Choice award, is significantly more expensive than $1,299. With the PS42 8RB, MSI is taking a bold step away from its gaming roots and diving into a competitive segment dominated by giants like Apple and Microsoft. It has good picture quality, and MSI offers you the ability to disable it at the hardware level by pressing the F6 key. siteads.queue.push( {"site":"gizmodo","pagetype":"article","ad_type":"article","sec":"online","amp":false,"ctype":"article","article":"msi ps42 review","article-tags":["consumer tech","feature","gaming laptops","laptops","msi","msi ps42 review"],"native":["null"],"aggregate":["consumer tech","feature","gaming laptops","laptops","msi","msi ps42 review"],"pageID":["null"],"sub-sec":"","cat":"online","cat1":"","item":{"objectid":1123876,"title":"This Ugly-Arse Gaming Laptop Has Exactly Three Great Things Going For It","text":"The MSI PS42\u2019s look is so bad, it might derail you. Logging in is as simple as a touch of your fingertip. Verify it's off by opening up the Windows camera app, which should display an error message explaining that it can't find a camera. By subscribing you agree to our Terms of Use and The lightest gaming ultrabook: Review of MSI PS42 8RC (1050 Max-Q, 1.22kg, 2.69lb) Review. The clashing black plastic bezel around the display just adds to that feeling that you’re looking at a (relatively!) It is just a typical gaming laptop that should just offer a lot of gaming performance in your budget. The MSI Prestige PS42 is a pretty good laptop with powerful internals and a good battery life that's priced affordably. Full manufacturers warranty details are … On our Handbrake and Photoshop CS6 tests, which involve exporting a short HD video into a smartphone-friendly format and applying a series of filters to a test image, the PS42 performed almost exactly the same as its competitors (1 minute and 27 seconds for Handbrake, 3:04 for Photoshop). It … At 2.64 pounds and measuring 0.62 by 12.6 by 8.74 inches (HWD), the PS42 is thin and light even for an ultraportable. Follow him on Twitter @, Best Malware Removal and Protection Software, Apple's 'Australia tax' isn't as bad as it seems, Google Pay Redesign Focuses on Organizing, Protecting Your Money, CVS Is First National Retailer to Accept Touch-Free PayPal, Venmo Payments, Which CPU Should You Buy? True to its roots, MSI said that is exploring the possibility of adding a GTX 1050 Max-Q GPU to the PS42, but that version isn't on sale yet. The lightest gaming ultrabook: Review of MSI PS42 8RC (1050 Max-Q, 1.22kg, 2.69lb) Review. This item is Unavailable. Model #: … I found no performance issues and like its overall design. Find about the MSI PS42 Modern 8RA display, battery life, gaming, thermals, cooling, price, and more features & specs in this MSI PS42 Modern 8RA review. The PS42 still has two cooling fans, but these are split between three distinct heat pipes: a two-heatpipe ensemble for the GPU, and a separated heatpipes with its own radiator for the processor. The fact that it is 100 points lower than both the Lenovo IdeaPad 720s and the HP Spectre 13 doesn't matter in the real world; I experienced no sluggishness during several days of casual browsing in Google Chrome and typing in Microsoft Word. Archived . Warranty: 24 Month Return To Base. $1,099. Yes, I wish to receive exclusive discounts, special offers and competitions from our partners. Logging in is as simple as a touch of your fingertip. menu. The PS42 still has two cooling fans, but these are split between three distinct heat pipes: a two-heatpipe ensemble for the GPU, and a separated heatpipes with its own radiator for the processor. }. Sure it could be prettier, but you’ll be hard-pressed to find another laptop this affordable or fast at this price. Series: MSI continues to impress the tech-savvy community with more simple and elegant laptop designs which are guaranteed to appeal to modern aesthetic views. There's nothing sleek about the PS42, especially when you compare it to the museum-worthy chassis of the Spectre 13 or the iconic chiseled, symmetrical edges of the MacBook Pro. PCMag is obsessed with culture and tech, offering smart, spirited coverage of the products and innovations that shape our connected lives and the digital trends that keep us talking. Which means the PS42 is the rare super light laptop with a discrete GPU. An ultraportable change of pace from a company that made its name in the gaming PC business, the PS42 is a solid first shot. Name: 14.0”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS: Diagonal: 14.0" … The first is the excellent 14-inch full HD (1,920-by-1,080-pixel) display, using In-Plane Switching (IPS) technology to prevent washouts at off-center viewing angles and a matte finish to guard against distracting reflections from ambient light. Generally, a laptop with discrete graphics that weighs under 1kg is going to be expensive. Currently, that’s the Nvidia MX150, but a 1050 model will be available in the U.S. by the end of September, according to MSI. Just shy of £1000, the MSI PS42 8RB represents great value. We are the top Gaming gear provider. 18. Gaming brand MSI isn’t the brand you’d necessarily think of when it comes to thin and light laptops, but that’s exactly what the company’s Prestige range is designed to change. More MSI PS42 configurations - 50 laptops. Our review unit of the MSI PS42 8RB ran on Windows 10 Home, which is standard. The lightest gaming ultrabook: Review of MSI PS42 8RC (1050 Max-Q, 1.22kg, 2.69lb) Review. Built-in fingerprint sensor is designed for high privacy protection and business security. This laptop looks like it was made five years ago and probably by Acer or Toshiba. We are the top Gaming gear provider. TipsGeeks. Description . Compare MSI PS42 8RB-243IN prices before buying online. Latest review: I want a gaming laptop that can play most of the games at high settings with a reasonable price. Same with Overwatch, where the Matebook Pro X’s average frames per second was 21, while the PS42 managed 49fps. See all MSI PS42 configurations. The only design flourish is the MSI dragon logo on the front lid. There's significant flex if you press on the large speaker grille forward of the keyboard, and even more flex on the bottom border of the display, where the MSI logo is. Bottom Line: An ultraportable from gaming-PC maker MSI, the PS42 offers mid-level graphics performance in a very slim package, but it suffers from a stodgy design and a tiny touchpad. A diminutive touchpad isn't unique to the PS42, since the Spectre 13 also suffers from this problem, but it's especially acute if you can't use a touch screen as a fallback input option. Add to Cart Add to Cart Add to Cart Add to Cart Add to Cart Add to Cart Customer Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars: 4.5 out of 5 stars: 4.3 out of 5 stars: 4.2 out of 5 stars: 4.4 out of 5 stars: 3.6 out of 5 stars: Price: $999.99 $ 999. This laptop looks like it was made five years ago and probably by Acer or Toshiba. A major gaming laptop maker's first ultraportable. KEEP ON GOING UNPLUGGED. This page provides reviews and other infos about the MSI PS42 Modern 8MO of the series PS42 laptop. It’s still a very pretty 36cm 1080p display, with rich colours and a neat tool that lets you change colour settings on the fly. MSI PS42 (8RB) An ultraportable from gaming-PC maker MSI, the PS42 offers mid-level graphics performance in a very slim package, but it suffers from a stodgy design and a tiny touchpad. The display on our review unit is the only option. I'm concerned about the wobbly lid … Model #: ZSWFM-00-B07X9-1; Return Policy: View Return Policy $11.72 – Free Shipping; View Details . He got his start in technology journalism by reviewing the latest hard drives, keyboards, and much more for PCMag's sister site, Computer Shopper. Comfortable keyboard. At 11 hours and 10 minutes in our battery test, it actually lasted 3 minutes longer than the Matebook Pro X’s already impressive 11 hours and 7 minutes. MSI therefore sticks with a very common configuration for the unit I'm testing, which includes an Intel Core i7-8550U, an Nvidia GeForce MX150 dedicated chip, a 512GB M.2 SATA SSD, and 16GB of memory. Pushing more pixels is taxing on the CPU, especially when it's coupled with an integrated graphics processor like the one in the Blade Stealth. Products Service . The MSI A320M GAMING … It's lightweight and compact, making it great for carrying around with you regularly. Learn more … Our Verdict . Compare. MSI PS42 8M-238AU Prestige Ultrabook Coffeelake . i5-8265U,14" FHD,8GB DDR4-2666,256GB SSD,UMA,W10H . In the case of the MSI PS42, the display can be a little dim, maxing out at just 303 nits. Matte finishes are common on gaming laptops but rare on ultraportables, which tend to support glossier screens that make colors appear more vivid. The MSI A320M GAMING … This laptop looks like it was made five years ago and probably by Acer or Toshiba. Because the borders around the display are so thin, there's no room to stick a webcam in the conventional spot, centered above the screen. Free Shipping. Which means a corner or two had to be cut. We are the top Gaming gear provider. SPECIFICATIONS ; GALLERY; SUPPORT; BLOG; AWARDS; BUY NOW; Support For PS42 8M. DISPLAY: 14.0”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS. Learn more … Ketersediaan MSI PS42 menandai kembali berkiprahnya seri Prestige di segmen profesional setelah absen cukup lama. Since this laptop is aimed at young professionals, I honestly believe that this spec is more than enough. MODERN SERIES LAPTOPS PS42 Modern (8th Gen Intel ® Core™ processor) Welcome to the MSI Global official site. MSI PS42. The MSI PS42-8RB is the ideal choice, but it certainly doesn't come cheap! More MSI PS42 configurations - 50 laptops. Decent gaming performance. Then I used it","url":"https:\/\/www.gizmodo.com.au\/2018\/08\/msi-ps42-review\/","img":"https:\/\/www.gizmodo.com.au\/content\/uploads\/sites\/2\/2018\/08\/17\/vzw2m08u9zmmxypauhgv-scaled.jpg","category":"Online","published_at":1534762800,"updated_at":1606723181,"kind":"article"},"ad_location":"mrec-content-mobile","targeting":{"pos":"1"},"provider":"google-dfp","element_id":"ad-slot_mrec-content-mobile_section-index-1_pos-1"} ); Despite these disappointments, the MSI PS42 actually does some tasks really well. Excellent screen quality. And in WebPRXT 2015, a browser-based benchmark that tests how well a computer performs tasks like resizing images and working in spreadsheets, the Matebook Pro X had a score of 630. The lightest gaming ultrabook: Review of MSI PS42 8RC (1050 Max-Q, 1.22kg, 2.69lb) Review. The MSI GF63 8RC has to be our top choice for budget friendly gaming laptops. MSI P65 Creator 8RD-021 Thin Bezel Gaming/ Productivity Laptop 15.6" 100% sRGB Display GTX 1050TI 4G i7-8750H 16GB 256GB NVMe SSD Win 10 PRO, Aluminum Silver. Because the mainstream ultraportable market is so crowded, laptop manufacturers don't have a lot of wiggle room when it comes to choosing internal components like the CPU, the graphics chip, storage, and the memory. It’s also got a much nicer finish and a much bigger display than the PS42. The GHI's Tried & Tested review of the MSI PS42-8RB. What gets me when it comes to MSI laptops, is the bloat. These aren't areas where you'd normally place your fingers, and thankfully the keyboard deck is much sturdier, but it's clear that some flimsier material was used to achieve weight savings. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Leze - Keyboard Cover Compatible with MSI GF63 PS63 GS65 GF65 WS65 WP65 P65 PS42 & Bravo 15 Gaming Laptop, MSI 15M Creator Laptop - Black at Amazon.com. We are the top Gaming gear provider. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. It Depends on the App, Apple MacBook Pro 13-Inch (M1, Late 2020). cheap laptop. Intel Core i5-8250U; NVIDIA GeForce MX150 (2GB GDDR5) 512GB SSD; 8GB RAM; Not available. In Geekbench 4, a benchmark designed to approximate performance through a series of synthetic tests, the Matebook Pro X had an excellent multicore score of 14,430 while the MSI PS42 had a score of 11,073. Specifications; SKU: 329014 : MPN: PS42 8MO-065AU : Brand: MSI : Product Condition: Brand New/Unused : Screen Size (Inches) … ULTRA-LIGHT at 2.62lbs . REGISTER NOW. That means the U-series Core i7 in the PS42 is less powerful than a Core i7 that you might find in one of the company's gaming laptops. Products Service . While you can order a cheaper PS42 with Intel integrated graphics, the discrete Nvidia chip with 2GB of dedicated memory in the version I tested makes a huge difference when it comes to gaming performance. MSI Prestige PS42 Quick Review « previous next » Pages: 1 [2] Print; Author Topic: MSI Prestige PS42 Quick Review (Read 3765 times) skanotmervin. In this, you get different options at different price points. I'm concerned about the wobbly lid … MSI GP65 Leopard 10Sx review – evolution rather than revolution 9 June 2020 Lenovo Legion 7 (15) review – tackling the new Super graphics cards with an improved cooling 5 June 2020 The U-series Intel Core processors have low power-draw requirements, run at low base clock speeds (1.8GHz for the Core i7-8550U), and generate little heat in order to fit into extremely small spaces. As with other MSI laptops, it’s a thumbprint-hungry brushed aluminium finish, but this time in a bright silver instead of a moody black. An MSI shield is etched into the back of the display, which evokes the laptop's gaming heritage and will certainly stand out in a college lecture hall that is likely full of half-eaten fruit logos. Amongst the other ultraportables, it was easily the fastest especially in graphics intensive workloads and in gaming. It's a svelte 14-inch conventional notebook in silver that seeks to compete with category titans like the Dell XPS 13, the Apple MacBook Pro, and the HP Spectre 13. MSI Creator 15 Review: A Well-Balanced Laptop for Games or Work, These Are The Best Gaming Laptops You Should Buy, MSI’s GS66 Stealth Gaming Laptop Packs Big Specs And Thankfully Goes Light On The RGB, MSI’s Prestige Laptops Bring Big Gaming Performance To A Broader Audience. MSI’s gaming heritage shows through in the cooling system here though. Register now for technical support. Despite that, the laptop weighs a meagre 1.19 Kg, making it lighter than even Dell’s XPS 13. Welcome to the MSI Global official site. Instead, MSI makes the same compromise that Dell makes with the XPS 13: The webcam is mounted below the screen in the hinge, where it mostly captures a view of your knuckles if you happen to be typing during a Skype session. menu. Summary. The Prestige PS42 comes in a nondescript silver brushed aluminum chassis. Add to Cart Add to Cart Add to Cart Add to Cart Add to Cart Add to Cart Customer Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars: 4.5 out of 5 stars: 4.3 out of 5 stars: 4.2 out of 5 stars: 4.4 out of 5 stars: 3.6 out of 5 stars: Price: $999.99 $ 999. Close. It's got fantastic battery life and solid performance. Reviews. In fact, they're the crispest and most vivid I've encountered recently from a non-glossy screen. Profesional review. That material is etched aluminum, which lends an air of sophistication to the otherwise stodgy-looking design. KEEP ON GOING UNPLUGGED. A graduate of Middlebury College, Tom also has a master's journalism degree from New York University. The PS42 scored an excellent 3,416 on this test. One of the downsides of the PS42's light weight, despite its additional inch of screen real estate, is that the build quality doesn't feel as solid as you might expect from a premium ultraportable. Content Creation PS42 8RB . More Info. MSI is known for making really fast gaming laptops with great keyboards and nice displays. The only design flourish is the MSI dragon logo on the front lid. The MSI PS63 Modern offers discrete graphics in a portable chassis, but its 15.6-inch,1080p display is dim. Two USB 3.1 ports and two USB Type-C ports is a very generous USB complement for any laptop, let alone one that's this compact. Stepping up to the entry-level MacBook Pro gets you nothing more than an additional USB Type-C port. With frame rates hovering around 60 frames per second (fps) on the Heaven and Valley tests at medium quality settings, you might be able to enjoy graphics-intensive games at lower quality settings, which is all but impossible with the sub-30fps numbers that the HP, Lenovo, and Razer put up. 1551369600. Welcome to the MSI Global official site. With an all-day battery of 10+ hours, the PS42 was designed to keep up with you. It’s the exact same kind of finish I associate with cheap Acer and Toshiba laptops from four or five years ago. This cooler features a large aluminium fin-stack heatsink to which heat is drawn from six copper heat-pipes that are bunched up in the middle to form the GPU contact base—a technology MSI calls Core Pipe. While both machines use a Nvidia MX150, with an Intel i7-8550U, 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD, the Matebook Pro X creamed the MSI PS42 on a number of benchmarks. It’s backlit and lovely to type on, but the layout, which includes a group of additional buttons on the right-hand side, has led to a few miss-types. The MSI PS42… sort of has those things. siteads.queue.push( {"site":"gizmodo","pagetype":"article","ad_type":"article","sec":"online","amp":false,"ctype":"article","article":"msi ps42 review","article-tags":["consumer tech","feature","gaming laptops","laptops","msi","msi ps42 review"],"native":["null"],"aggregate":["consumer tech","feature","gaming laptops","laptops","msi","msi ps42 review"],"pageID":["null"],"sub-sec":"","cat":"online","cat1":"","item":{"objectid":1123876,"title":"This Ugly-Arse Gaming Laptop Has Exactly Three Great Things Going For It","text":"The MSI PS42\u2019s look is so bad, it might derail you.
2020 msi ps42 gaming review