I provided a suggested rub. A few suggestions: 13. I’d love to hear your tips for perfecting barbecued pork shoulder on a grill. The roast was juicy and delicious. I know that is not very exact, but you get the idea. Is the ideal time to get the smoke into the meat at the beginning of the cooking time? And fat pad up or down does not matter. Barbecue. Thanks! Should I refrigerate them first and then grill it after? For gas grills, turn off the center burners to create the indirect heating. I can't wait to eat it LOL. I think it helps to have a mix of sizes, from small chips to larger (1-inch x 2-inch) chunks. Add shredded wood to the smoker, I recommend Hickory or Apple ( put the wood in warm water for half an hour before smoking the meat ). Please try again later. Looking for about 10 family members to arrive about 1:00 pm tomorrow. 4 Rub each pork butt with 1 cup Chicken & Pork Rub. Man oh man I be telling you, this is a great method! Grilling the Pork Shoulder. I made and 8 lb one this past July and followed that up with two 4 lbs ones. Don't do it. 9. It has a bit less marbling and less fat and is usually not separated from the butt. Thanks for waiting. Jump in with your hands and apply the rib. Continue cooking for 6 hours or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone. When it reaches temperature, remove the roast from the oven and let rest for at least 30 minutes, up to an hour. Bless the modern BBQ grill, friends and good libations. Bigger will take longer. Good refrigerated for 3-4 days but I prefer 2 days since the texture seems to suffer. But it's going to get wrapped in foil and into the cooler til 8pm. The best pulled pork comes from pork butt, which is high in fat and connective tissue. When the heat on the grill reaches and stays steady at 225°, place the pork shoulder on the side of the grill opposite the heat source and close the lid. Charcoal grill (but gas grill can work, too) Pork steaks (4-8) For best grilling practices, it's essential to choose a wood that compliments the meat you'll be cooking. Multiple family members of mine own Green Eggs and they have all this equipment to go with it, don’t get me wrong, it’s delicious but I wouldn’t want to invest all that money into something I’m not even sure I’ll enjoy doing. You'll be replenishing the wood chips periodically for the next several hours so put more dry chips into water to soak if needed. I did not finish in the oven, I was not pressed for time. (Any less and the pork will dry out; any more, and the fat will prevent the rub from seasoning the meat.) Tradition says yes, but most experts say not it is not needed. There is nothing better than a good pork shoulder roasted “low and slow” as they say, over wood smoke. It hit 190 degrees internal–I went with that. But use any sauce you love. Hand shred with a couple of forks. Thanks! Dan. Tedious and boring, to say the least. The main issue I had was when I tried this with ribs, they fell apart on the grill. Thanks. The wood chips will smoke more easily if they lay in a (fireproof metal or foil) container directly on the burner. You can also use a cheap surface thermometer, but you will need to keep checking it, and that is not ideal. I can't imagine they will smoke for 11 hours. I have re-edited the text and added more useful information. Wrap in towels for 30 minutes to 2 hours. I like to reheat on a sheet pan; I sprinkle with a little water on my hand (don’t overdo it). Thank you, Elise! Hickory, apple, apple, pecan, or cherry are good woods for cooking pork, though you should always be sparing with hickory as it can overpower the taste of your meat. Welcome to the blog. Adjust the burners to get a steady 250°. These directions and recipe is great thank you so much. There are lots of tips in the full recipe post. Elise launched Simply Recipes in 2003 as a way to keep track of her family's recipes, and along the way grew it into one of the most popular cooking websites in the world. Had a six pounder and it only took 5.5 hours to smoke to perfection. If you run out with no backup. Always remember, you are cooking to a final internal temperature, not by time. This will be your "hot" side, where the wood chips will go. For coals, we'll let them cook down a little, use a little less, or have the grate a little higher from the coals. Should I refrigerate them first and then grill it after? The cooler, in this use, is to insulate and slow the cooling. How to turn your kettle grill into a smoker - tips from Hank here on Simply Recipes, Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwiches - from Steamy Kitchen, Vietnamese Grilled Pork - from The Gastronomy Blog, Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder - from Nom Nom Paleo. Grilled pork shoulder steaks Take the marinated steaks out the fridge and let them come to room temperature. I can't tell the difference. Expect a minimum cooking time, if you have been diligent at maintaining a 225°F, of 90 minutes per pound. Low and slow all the way, and make sure you wrap that pork shoulder in foil when the grill hits around 160-165 degrees. Dan. On a Weber gas grill, apple chips, water pan. The thing is, to do this right, you really need a smoker, or a barbecue with a separate box for wood chips. I’ve barbecued a half dozen pork shoulders on my grill over the last few weeks, just to get the method solid. Best served freshly pulled. There are a lot of gas grills out there. Smoking a pork shoulder. This method should be fine for up to 8 pounds and maybe more. https://www.kimversations.com/2014/06/pulled-pork-gas-grill 11. Perfectly Smoked Pork Shoulder. Great, detailed recipe that was super helpful. Take 3 or 4 large handfuls of wood chips (hickory, oak, apple or other fruit wood) and place them in a bowl and cover them with water to soak them overnight (can also do for an hour before using). Elise nailed it is more like it. With a 4 pound roast, or two 4 pound roasts cooked at the same time, the whole timing of the barbecue is more manageable. Only now do you add any barbecue sauce (and any accumulated juices) to the meat. My "How to Grill" series, master all these techniques, and you will officially be a grill master. The extra rub is good for 3-4 months if sealed tightly with not much air. Hickory chips are bathing and the grill is marked for 250 . Pork shoulder is a hunk of meat that is laced with flavorful fat and connective tissue. Of course, if your gas grill gets too hot, opening the hood can cool it down quickly. There is nothing better than a good pork shoulder roasted “low and slow” as they say, over wood smoke. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. And the smoke? One quick reminder, do not reheat with BBQ sauce. Instant Pot Mexican Pulled Pork (Carnitas), Read more about our affiliate linking policy, How to turn your kettle grill into a smoker, One 4 pound pork shoulder roast, preferably Boston butt, boneless or bone-in (you can easily make two 4 pound roasts in about the same amount of time if your grill is big enough to accommodate them both), 5 to 6 cups of wood chips, hickory, oak, apple, or other fruit wood, 1 teaspoon dry rosemary (or fresh, finely minced). And you must cook it to well done – there’s a lot of … Let sit for a minimum of 15 minutes. My Rating: Pull apart the shoulder, discarding any chunks of fat or gristle. This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. One of the biggest sins of barbecue is to over-sauce perfectly good meat. I know that is not very exact but you get the idea. This does the math for the ingredients for you. Allow the roast to rest for at least an hour before shredding. I’m just wondering since I had my 6 lb on for 9hrs at about 225 & It wasn’t fall off the bone as before when I’ve cooked them. This looks amazing! So I use it on things like pork tenderloin or country style ribs. Followed the instructions using the first dry rub recipe with a Boston butt on a Weber gas grill, finishing it in the oven wrapped in foil. Hope this is done between 8:00 and 9:00 am. So excited to try this in the gas grill tomorrow. Using your hands, rub the pork shoulder steaks with all the seasoning on all sides. Or you can buy a whole pork butt/pork shoulder and slice those into the steaks. Taste it first! I spent the day working around the yard, but not before following your process/recipe. Hi George, I didn't see your reply until after I started the process haha but I basically followed your recipe but with a few tweaks. After the pork shoulder comes off the grill, let it rest for at least 15 minutes to allow the juices to settle back into the meat. I think I’ve got the bugs worked out looking forward to perfection this time. Hi Dan, I mixed up more if your rub than I needed for my 6.3 lb butt that I will cook tomorrow. Grill for … Thanks for sharing. The result is a tender, pork steak full of flavor that the whole family will enjoy. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight if you can. I've read you only want smoke for about half the cooking time so about 5-6 hours. This makes more than you need, save the excess for another cooking. Pork shoulder is one cut I encourage you to overcook. Turn the grill on to medium flame, cover the grill and let it heat up until the the wood chips start smoking. How to Grill Pork Chops on a Gas Grill. I have natural gas, so I'm good to go. Had pulled pork on the 4th of July made in a crock pot. Elise Bauer is the founder of Simply Recipes. Baste the ribs with sauce as you cook them, if you are using it. Learn how your comment data is processed. Yes, it is a timely process but well worth the effort. NOTHING, in my opinion, for the home grillers. 10 Reposition the roast: After 2 or 3 hours, during one of your hourly opening of the grill to refresh the wood chips, reposition the roast so that the side that was closest to the heat is now furthest from the heat. I think 250 is too hot. With a good rub, and a long smoke, barbecue sauce isn’t really necessary. How to Cook a Brisket on a Gas Grill, How to Grill Baby Back Ribs on a Gas Grill I found this grill method works best with a 4 pound Boston butt shoulder roast, instead of an 8 pound picnic shoulder roast. If the temperature goes too high, the roast may dry out. You need to keep smoke on the meat for at least 4 hours for a 4 pound roast. Will freeze well for 3-4 months. Put it on the grill at 250°F for about 5.5 hours and let it rest for 15 mins. I did loosely cover the shoulder with foil. Keep it polite please. I’m finishing up in the oven. Cooked by indirect heat for 7 hours. An 8 pound roast will take at least 12 hours of cooking time. The number of servings per recipe is stated above. Hi Roger, The ideal temperature of a properly smoked pork shoulder is 190 to 195 degrees F. The internal temperature of the pork can increase by 10 degrees even after it’s been removed from the grill, so keep that in mind. The preparation time is agonizing. Beware: a 5-6 lb bone-in pork shoulder will NEVER get pull apart cooked in 4-6 hours at those temps on a standard gas grill, even if you never opened the lid. Tip: If your pork shoulder hits the dreaded "stall" (won't get above 165 degrees Fahrenheit or starts dropping, wrap it in foil and place back on the grill. Rub however was good. This means the meat is not over direct heat. Bone-in or boneless does not matter. Or did you guys grill and then slow cook it? Pork shoulder is one cut I encourage you to overcook. The time varies by how you shredded it and the amount on the tray. Great for first timer like me. About DrDan, COPYRIGHT © 2020 101 COOKING FOR TWO. To taste ingredients such as salt will be my estimate of the average used. Cover tightly with foil and into the oven at 250, The most common error is poor grill setup. Looking forward to seeing and making more of your recipes. The last cooking I was testing multiple thermometers so I know the surface temp was correct and it lasted the whole time, heat rises I guess. Shred pork using Char-Griller Meat Forks. Will post follow up. Place the pork butt in the center of the grill. Soak the wood chips. Enjoy! I had a 6.1 lb butt cooked to 194 after 11 hrs using the probes to monitor temps. I live in the south so I’m no stranger to good bbq but someone else always made it. Result was over cooked and dried out. Stupid here! Great tip on wrapping in the foil and putting in the cooler. This will get it going agin. The temperature you want to maintain ideally is 225°F. Can you save the unused rub? Our Favorite Videos Get Recipe » Well the smoke is the whole point of barbecuing in the first place, otherwise you could just as easily use a slow cooker. Grill to your liking. The good news is that you can indeed achieve a pretty decent barbecue with your grill, if you watch the temperature and keep up the smoke. All nutritional information are estimates and may vary from your actual results. It’s my smoker box pulled pork. So i'm assuming a continual steam bath.. The recipe is from Dana Ewart and Cameron Smith, chefs and caterers in Canada’s Okanagan Valley, in British Columbia. We’re here to help you put dinner (and breakfast and lunch) on the table with less stress and more joy. Please do not try without it. I have made this recipe twice. You will want to maintain smoke in the grill for at least 4 hours (6 hours for a bigger roast). I prefer hickory chips. Great recipe thank you! Slow cooked pork butt is always great. Some people like oak but I really dislike oak for this. Never before was I successful at smoking anything on my Weber gas grill until this recipe. The acid in it will destroy the texture of the meat. You can also apply smoke with a separate smoker box or an aluminum foil pouch with slots. Preheat the grill to medium and cook the ribs for 20 to 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of a meaty part registers 160 degrees Fahrenheit. By commenting, you accept the Comment Guidelines. 4. Tried this for the first time on my gas grill yesterday, bone-in 4lb, everything tracked exactly as noted with the exception of mine reaching 275° before putting it in the over after 5 1/2 hrs. Once I have wrapped my pork shoulder in foil, … Use a rub of your choice. Shred pork using Char-Griller Meat Forks. Do not overcook. To think my husband wanted to ditch the BBQ we got with the house. We’ve always believed that a gas grill just can’t match charcoal when it comes to flavor. In bowl combine oil, garlic, soy sauce, onion powder, brown sugar, salt and black pepper. Please enjoy learning how to do pulled pork on your gas grill. As long as the natural gas don't get shut off, I'm good to go! I consider three things as the "holy grails" of BBQ. started at noon and still cooking! I tend to not do a lot of side dishes; it leaves more room for pork. This is on the indirect heat side. Like many cuts of meat, there are multiple names about the same thing. Grilling the Pork Shoulder. See the grill brisket recipe for instructions if you want. 10. I was able to get the shoulder from Costco with no bone. How many propane tanks will I It’s hard to maintain a consistent low temperature on a grill, gas or charcoal. (just a top) Then I shut the grill and at 6PM my husband and I were in our glory! Lastly, the picnic ham and picnic shoulder are not the same as this cut. I let it rest too. Elise is a graduate of Stanford University, and lives in Sacramento, California. But the temperature will not move. It’s like having dessert for the main course. You set up the smoker box with flavored (hickory, mesquite, cherry, etc) wood chips. It’s my smoker box pulled pork. The temperature should stay at a constant 225 to 250 degrees F. Flip the Boston butt every 30 minutes to encourage equal cooking. The general consensus is 1 ½ to 2 hours per pound at 250 degrees, but it always seems to take me a bit longer. I put a small 3.5 pounder on the grill at 11am, and it just hit 190 degrees at 6pm. How to cook a Pork Shoulder Roast (aka Boston Butt roast) on the rotisserie, low and slow, until it is tender and shreddable. Do not shred immediately. How many times do you refill your wood chips? Followed the recipe to a T including smoking for 5 hours. I now use my ThermaQ Blue from Themoworks, which you will find in My Shop. Hi Adrian and welcome to the site. Next put your pork shoulder on the grate, this recipe is based on a 8 pound piece. That allows the melted connective tissue and other fluids to absorb back into the meat fibers. Pork shoulder is the thinner area of this cut but is commonly cooked and used the same as the butt. That allows the whole shoulder to have the air flow and receive the flavoring of the smoke. Thanks for the yummy tip! Maybe it wasnt long enough? Good luck with it. See https://www.101cookingfortwo.com/category/pork-loin/ for some ideas. After that, it’s just easier to finish, wrapped in foil, in a 300°F oven. At least. Your comment may need to be approved before it will appear on the site. Blended all together and rubbed all over. The time varies by how you shredded it and the amount on the tray.
2020 pork shoulder gas grill