There are various ways to transition to gray hair from dyed hair, and all of them have advantages and disadvantages. I would suggest consulting with a stylist because this can be a major problem since you will likely dye the strip for 8-12 months. Grey hair can get a little tricky – if you go for the right shade that suits you, you'll look fabulous, but if not, then you might end up looking aged. I love how you said coloring your hair for a change is fun but the having to touch up roots so often is not! The silver is coming in and I’m excited!. ** Please Note:  This post contains affiliate links. Makes for a seamless transition! Once I got to 3-4 months I could see how my uncolored hair was going to look, and that was encouraging. She has beautiful warm skin. May have to wear a wig! It is worst than hair dyes. Check out these Silver Hair Transition Stories of women who have used salon methods to go gray (or a combination of cold-turkey and salon treatments). I went blonde for a couple of years but it did so much damage to my hair that i have gone back to dying brunette and i now have semi-healthy beautiful dark hair just past my shoulders in length. Hi, Patricia – you’ll have to consult your hairdresser as I’m not sure how those would affect your thinning hair. I’m so glad you want to use this technique to transition to gray. Adherents to the dye strip technique call it “going gray in secret” because your gray hair grows out underneath a layer of longer hair.It’s a great solution for many women, but it’s not a great solution for women who need to avoid hair dye for medical or other reasons, as it requires you to continue use dye for a little while longer. Right away use the cloth to rub the color through your hair and onto your scalp. Alexandra – my hair like yours. Got Gray Hair? The best way i have found to apply henna to growing out roots was to wear gloves and use a wooden chopstick and clean cloth that you do not mind staining up. How to transition colored hair from dyed to grey, including with highlights, lowlights, salon, and at-home options for beautiful results before, during, and after going gray. Please answer ! It does not always wash out completely. Do i need to start using a purple shampoo now or wait till I have more gray hair? As you might imagine, stripping hair dye can be very hard on your hair, so it should be avoided, if possible, and you may want to consider goin… I have long dyed dark brown hair. Bear in mind that black hair is harder to dye grey. Thanks! Can my dyed color be stripped off, or do I have to do it the hard way and let it grow out (which I do not want to do as the dyed color is much lighter). It has actually been fun watching my hair turn all different colors, and I now see the beauty in transitioning hair. Should you use a Demi permanent so,it will wash out when you are done with the transition ? After constantly dyeing her hair for over 25 years, in 2018 Katie decided to stop the madness and embrace the gray. My problem, as I see it, is, I have very dry skin & inherited my mom’s early wrinkled face. Good luck! Hi, Theresa – you can use your regular shampoos and conditioner unless you start seeing a problem (like yellowing) in your gray hair. Massey’s book has excellent tips & advice, plus a lot of inspirational photos. I wear my hair in a bob but not been to get it cut since pandemic started. You'll need to do many, many washes to fade it out, but it is definitely a step in the right direction if you really want to remove a color. Just use the toning or purple shampoo in place of your regular one about once a week. Good luck and have fun! You’ll see a variety of different skin tones there. Since then, she’s been sharing her favorite gray hair tips, resources, and stories to empower women to feel beautiful during and after their transition to gray hair. When that time comes, you’ll flip your part and – wowza! I’d love to hear from you. Thank you! Want your color to skew as gray as possible? Any thoughts on this as it was not mentioned in any of the going gray methods. ), you can totally keep your hair long! It did help fade the dye, but I think it also contributed to making my brunette fade into a very brassy orange that (eventually) even blue shampoo couldn’t touch. I am doing it! I’m excited to try this method of growing out my grays. What color of henna did you use? Long, short, and every style in between. Hi Diana, Getting a salon treatment to help you transition to gray hair is a great option for a lot of women because it is faster than the cold turkey method, it hides your demarcation line, and it can make your transition seem seamless. Ich will mich gerne langsam daran gewöhnen. Thanks. Going Gray During Lockdown? I am excited to try this technique! When gray roots start growing in, use a root concealer or semi-permanent dye to blend the grays and colored hairs together. The best candidates for the dye-strip technique are women with medium to long dark brunette hair. if I decided to get highlites or low lights done. When you are coloring your hair every two weeks to cover your gray roots? Any thoughts on this as it was not mentioned in any of the going gray methods. Eventually went to a medium ash blond as my hair continued to get more gray. Get a buzz cut! Any advice? Your email address will not be published. I have found some great grey wigs at cysterwigs.com and wigsbypattispearls.com. A salon transition can also be a welcome alternative for women with careers in the public eye (politician, lawyer, actress, etc.). Many women are happy to transition with a pixie. I knew the other side had a big streak at the temple and thought I’d like to end up with that showing. Hi Terry! Re: products, check out the Katie Goes Platinum Amazon store – there are a lot of products for silver sisters in there, and you might want to especially consider the Joico K-Pak or Shea Moisture products. These are the women I hear from the most who are uncomfortable going out in public for a year or two with a strong demarcation line. My biggest concern is that my slightly olive skin tone will look washed out with the incoming white. What is the best way to go back to my natural grey? Here’s How to Make Your Eyebrows Look Their Best, California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Policy, Hair regrowth in areas where you’ve stopped dyeing, You will still have to dye your hair for a while, Not a good solution for women with short or VERY curly hair. To get the look, spritz a wave spray onto towel-dried hair, then braid your hair until it’s completely dry. If you have fragile hair (or very dark brunette hair that requires a lot of treatments), your hair can become damaged. Katie Goes Platinum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Step 1. I have dyed my hair black for many years and fed up with having to colour it every 4 weeks. In most cases, the lighter hair can be dyed in grey without bleaching. It was inexpensive and I never felt like my hair looked like a tacky grow out. If you decide to use it, just know that you may still have to flip the part and wait for it to grow out. Unfortunately myself and my siblings all inherited my dad’s black / brown hair AND his very very early onset grey. Right now I’m really happy with the way the natual grey and surprising amount of dark hair is growing. According to some statistics, 75% of women dye their hair, leaving only 25% who never color. It turned out a gunmetal gray at first but after a few washes, it looks the way the box says it should. Many women in these fields feel uncomfortable coming to work with two-toned hair (or are told outright by their bosses that it is inappropriate). Please do me a favor and share this post to social media, as it helps me grow my audience and spread the word about our Silver Revolution! Inside: All about the dye strip technique for growing out your gray hair secretly, with no demarcation line. . Inside: Tips on how to go gray from colored hair. I didn’t use it until my hair was all silver, and even now I only use it once in a blue moon (and then I use the Pantene as it’s a lot less harsh than the others on the market. I was dyed weeks and weeks ago and I’m fading!” Then Coronavirus came along and staying at home through the worst of the ugly stage eased the transition so that I have two boxes of bleach sitting around that will never be used. I’ve decided to go gray. Heading to my hairdresser this week and asking her to do the dye strip technique! Most women feel more confident knowing that in three weeks they won’t see that “skunk stripe”, as my mother calls it, around the crown of your head. The fastest way to transition to gray hair? Could you point me in the right direction? The advantage to never dyeing is that you don’t have to go through the gray hair grow-out process. I hate it when it starts to grow out and I need to re-dye. 14 . 1. If you're interested in fun changes, you can go for a series of successively lighter colors, experimenting with shades until you get to a light, cool blonde, then you can grow that out. Gray dye on top of light blonde hair results in the gray hair color that's popular right now. Ich bin 47 und seit dem Shutdown in der Transition. Fortunately, if you go through the effort of using this drying soap on your dyed hair, it can actually help remove unwanted color. In the meantime, your gray hair will grow out underneath the strip until you are ready to reveal your glorious naturally silver hair to the world! Platinum Hair. Dark hair might do well with semi-permanent color in a shade lighter than the natural hair color, then going lighter as more gray grows in, using frosting and color glosses for high- and lowlights. All the models who have let their gray hair grow out have cool skintones & gray hair look fabulous on them. If you have bangs, short hair, or very curly hair, it will not work as well (if at all). My only problem wa Please share it with your friends! Whenever I’m asked why I’m letting my hair go gray, and people do ask, I say I realized I don’t care what color my hair is—or what anyone else thinks about it. Thanks for your advice! It really depends on your temperament. – you’ll look completely, gloriously, gray! That’s what’s so fun about this method – you get to decide when you are ready to show off your grays! I can’t think of any disadvantages, except that you would miss out on the fun of coloring your hair. Thank you so much, I think this method will be my choice to transition my grays out. Another benefit? I came up with something like this, and it worked really well. You could be done with your gray hair transition in 3-6 months, depending on how short you go! After constantly dyeing her hair for over 25 years, in 2018 Katie decided to stop the madness and embrace the gray. I have not dyed my hair since March the top of my head is a lovely white the Back has colour still also some dark grey it’s a bob length needs a trim ,I’m 73 any advise please I have my hair done regularly also blow dryer every week on lucky my friends a hair dresser but I haven’t seen her for a few months due to I’ll health .. Hi I am a young 69 year old fair skinned green eyes with dyed copper medium length hair – of course with this pandemic situation I am now seeing an inch of my grayish white hair – I have been reading lots of stuff about transitioning – I do have a chronic auto -immune illness so it would probably behoove me to stop with the chemicals – as you know with red hair it is daunting to think about this whole thing but I am retired and it really doesn’t matter that much – I spend most of my time at the pool doing water aerobics – any thoughts about at home stuff I could do to help my blend ay gray with my copper for social commitments? I decided on the cold turkey method … my hair is naturally VERY dark so the stripping and toning etc. I can’t afford salon prices – so any tips or advice would be grateful, Hi, Ann: You’ll find a ton of ideas not only in this post, but throughtout the blug. Just use the search function to find what you’re looking for. Originally I’d planned to go on like this for a year, then flip the part and go with a really short asymmertical cut to. Obviously, the easiest way to transition to gray is to never dye your hair, but, for many of us, it’s too late to go that route, right? Gray hair is blue-based & suits cool skin tones. It’s a great idea! Some people say that you should go with whatever looks best with your hair color; others say whatever looks best with your skin tone. For help with salon methods of going gray, check out these two excellent posts by my fellow silver sister bloggers:Gray Hair Transition: Don’t Do What I Did!by Debbie RoesHow do you Transition from Dyed Hair to Your Natural Grey?by Joli Campbell, 10 Expert Tips on How to Take The Leap and Go Gray, And to see how other silver sisters feel about the gray hair transition, check out this post: The Surprising Truth About Going Gray. I’m at month 17 now. Ich fühle mich sehr wohl mit meinem Pfeffer-und-Salz-Ansatz. Go All Grey Q: I have short grey hair that I've been dyeing for years. GET THE COLOR: NATURAL WHITE-GRAY Time will tell! I have dark brown hair but after not dying it for 4 months, the dyed hair looks more brassy. “When I decided to let the grey grow and do no more hair dye, I had over shoulder hair length. If you are growing out your gray hair due to a sensitivity to hair dye, or if you are simply DONE with putting chemicals on your head, this is NOT the right transition method for you as you will have to continue dyeing your hair for a while. I am thinking about clip ins to help with styling so it’s not alway a hat or head scarf day as I start out on my journey. Good luck! I have strawberry blonde with blonde highlights! All of the methods have advantages and disadvantages. I’m concerned that it will be tricky to find a dye colour for the strip roots that matches my washed-out dyed hair. It's not secret that we're tremendously impressed with Sema Conde. Thanks for the help and I love the information on this blog. He’s the one who convinced me to just let it grow. I had been using blonde, although my natural hair is dark brown. Blondes and redheads can also use this technique, but for dark brunettes, the dye-strip technique is the best method I’ve found for going gray in secret with dark hair. Article by Modern Salon . Does anyone have experience with this? It probably did help blur my transition line a bit, but at the expense of orange hair. . I would be very careful with semi/demi permanent hair color. And remember to subscribe to my YouTube Channel and Pinterest Feed for more gray hair tips and product recommendations. It’s a personal choice, and I don’t judge anyone for coloring her hair. It’s confusing! Inside: All about the dye strip technique for growing out your gray hair secretly, with no demarcation line. And the best part? Katie is the founder of Katie Goes Platinum. I’m not trying to convince others to follow this road. "I accidentally dyed my hair this awful black, stripped it, and now it is this crunchy crispy mess!" I have gray around my fade and temples as well but it didn’t bother me. My friend Diana introduced me to this method, and it’s ingenious. Jun . Please take a look at Lorraine Massey’s book Silver Hair: A Handbook – my BFF gave me it to me as a gift once I announced my intention to gray. That’s why the Dye Strip Technique is sometimes referred to as “going gray in secret.”. I like it and it looks very natural as people tell me. I was worried about looking nutty with multi-colored hair, but I got over that quickly. I also considered bleaching the dyed strip and going blue, just for fun, but I didn’t end up doing that because about the time I hit a year we had a stay-at-home order and I missed two hair appointments. COPYRIGHT © 2020 KATIE EMERY | KATIE GOES PLATINUM | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, GO GRAY IN SECRET WITH THE DYE STRIP TECHNIQUE, growing out your gray hair due to a sensitivity to hair dye, 50+ Gorgeous Long Gray Hair Photos to Inspire You. It’s also free! There are many other ways to go gray. In any case, I’m loving going cold turkey – it gives you time to get used to having silver hair! After about a year I let my roots grow out but I hid the color difference by using vegetable henna coloring for almost a year now. How-To: Stripping Color for a Natural White-Gray. If you're truly unhappy with how a dye treatment went or you're sick of your new color, Pearl says you can go back to the salon immediately to get it fixed. Required fields are marked *. Hi Katie, I’m 71 and have dyed my for yrs, my hair is just below my shoulders and dark brown, I have decided to go cold turkey! I don’t know if I could do that! I have very dark brown and am ready to transition. There are downsides to the salon transition. Recently I asked my hair stylist to help me transition and I requested light lavendar/dark lavendar weave to detract from the grow-out.
2020 strip hair color to go gray