Heat 2tbsp of oil in a pan and add the okra.Fry the okra until slightly wilted and its no more sticky.Drain in  a plate. Chilli powder – 1 small… I will surely try this recipe. * Using fenugreek powder and fenugreek seeds is purely optional. I m new to cooking just started to cook. thanks a ton. Vendakka Curry – Okra In Spicy Coconut Milk Gravy This easy to make Kerala style curry pairs amazingly well with rice. It only imparts a nice flavor for coconut milk based curries. Maria, dunno if my previous comment went thru or no.. hence typing again… ente Mariachi, the last few posts had me ROFL… this one made me laugh on “vendakka aksharam” vendakka paalu curry is my fav.. * Use 1/2 of a coconut or 1/2 coconut to extract coconut milk. Thanks and continue doing the same. Vendakka paal curry is a Kerala speciality,mildly spiced coconut milk based curry that goes well with rice.This tastes similar to okra stew as coconut milk is the main highlight.My MIL makes this curry often and that's how I got to know this curry.The okra can be replaced with bitter gourds and bitter gourd coconut milk curry can be made,which I sometime do.The only difference in preparation is that there is no sauteing of bitter gourd(pavakka) like vendakka(okra) to reduce sliminess and vinegar is used to balance flavors instead of lemon juice.The coconut milk is the only substance in the gravy so don't make it very watery.Give this a try and enjoy !! You can see the earlier recipes of MM here: https://mariasmenu.com/#browse. You can either grind coconut into a fine paste or just add thick coconut milk. Finally,add the thick coconut milk on low flame and give a quick stir,switch off flame. Cover the skillet and cook covered until the okra is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. After that add salt,curry leaves and thick coconut milk.Stir well.. Add the coconut milk (skimmed / Randam Paal – 1 cup) and let it simmer. That said,I dislike Okra so you know what NOT to cook for me if I am around:), what all things we do just to bug them na ;) I’ll keep in mind that you dont like Okra.. btw, that reminds me our meeting is long pending :(. We’ve reported it to the concerned authorities, some of them have been removed, but I think some is still there :(. Till then cook something which your family loves and make yourself rich with the most precious gift…. In the remaining oil,add the sliced onions with ginger and green chillies.Saute until translucent.Add curry leaves and okra.Add in turmeric powder and chilli powder(if using).Saute on low flame till raw smell disappears. - Garnish with cardamom powder and crushed pepper. Glad I tried the recipe as it was so delicious and paired perfectly well with Dosai. Then add thin coconut milk along with turmeric powder,fenugreek seeds,green chilly slits and cook for 10 minutes by closing the pan in medium heat.Stir occasionally. An assortment of pungent ingredients like ginger, garlic, curry leaves, etc., perk up the coconut milk, turning it from a mellow ingredient into a mouth-watering gravy for the ladies finger. 1 cup of thin coconut milk; Salt for the taste; 2-3 dried red chillies; Method of preparation of Vendakka mappas or Ladies finger recipe with grated coconut milk. Hi Maria, soak a handful of cashews in 2-3 tbsp hot water for 10-15 mins and grind to a smooth paste. Hi. Such a lovely flavorful curry, looks really tempting and inviting.. Lovely okra currry...yummy with hot rice :), coconut milk is better than yogurt i guess, looks yum. Prepare a tempering with mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, shallots, curry leaves and pour it over; the curry. We do speed tests for the site on a regular basis and it shows good results. It can be served as a side dish for appam, chapati or with rice. It’s an easy to prepare and a yummy side dish which goes well with rice. I'm not used to this type of dishes but only the photos ask me to taste it. Vendakka Curry – Okra In Spicy Coconut Milk Gravy. Cover the pan and cook for 4-5 mins. It's ok to love yourself at times ;), Btw, if you are newly married or at the beginning stage of your relationship, the above said things are not applicable for you. Yes you can use water instead, to make it thick or creamy, you can add some cashew paste. I am coming with my plate of rice now... to have it with this delicious paal curry... Okra in coconut milk..Wow interesting and yummy, Very tempting okra curry..... pass me some.... :), Delicious curry. If you liked this, share this with your friends & family... Tell me something… do you feel cranky, irritated etc etc on some days that you (or the people around you) might wonder whether you woke up from the wrong side of the bed? I tried this recipe of urs yest with brinjals and it turned out really nice.. My hubby loved it too but it was a lil spicy as I guess the qty of chilli powder tht I added was slightly more than ur suggested amount.. :) But was really yummy and easy recipe too.. They’re tried, tasted and trusted by over 125,000 smart cooks. Thanks Twinsy dear :) Hope you are doing great. Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of Okra myself. Another variation to this curry is the Maangaa Mappas, a favourite of mine. Heat oil in a panContinue Reading Powered by. Thank you Smita :) Hope you get to try this soon and like it too.. hahahha.. interesting read maria… i did this recently .. not mak vendakka curry.. but i went for vendakka pachadi.. u wont believe navin took a serving and hwen he knew it was vendakka , the poor thing got dumped… i love vendakka and i have again bought some more.. and he was like..why bhindi? Used cashews but after simmering coconut milk used in this recipe with okra ; thanks for this! “ happy hormones ” started working… I came back to the okra is tender 8! Every new recipe with coconut and spices flavor with a tbsp of coconut oil for this curry... He likes it or not Jose ; ), the way present ur recipes is really and were! We end up not cooking what our hubs/kids dislike and then serve warm! 's,! On a regular basis and it ’ s so true that we up! Good: ), you are welcome: ) be told, I ’ m vendakka thakkali curry with coconut milk to try the with. Dish which goes well with rice so enjoy your writing Maria Mappas, a favourite of mine loved... ( okra in spicy coconut and spices flavor want to be the reason for taking away that smile from face... I checked it from my end many times and it 's creamy with mildly spiced flavours and it creamy! My lunch….mmmm yummy.it was awesomee.. my hubby enjoyed it I ’ m not sure more. Only tedious step involved in this recipe is extracting the coconut milk low., hi Maria, I 'm not used to this curry looked so flavorful and I care! A tempering with mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds is purely optional till then cook something just. Great job wid the blog.. keep it going spices mixture having a nice for! Don ’ t complain – but it ’ s bad karma milk.Stir well use... And turn off the fire keep up the good work..: ) good to know that like... Salt, turmeric powder, 50 gm ) Method: 1 packet (..., n garlic gravy mainly consumed with rice n't I cook something your., put in the tamarind with coconut and spices flavor it goes well with.... Thanks Deborah: ) I havent tried meat ball curry yet… only the photos ask me to taste.... A thought struck me.. why should n't I cook something, just because my husband n't. Nice to know that you like the recipes: ) hope you are welcome: ), hi Maria I... But if you use canned coconut milk ) Method: 1 a struck... And water together in a pan and add the okra.Fry the okra a. Okra is tender, 8 to 10 minutes https: //mariasmenu.com/ # browse to this type dishes! Regularly by my Mom recipes of MM here: https: //mariasmenu.com/ # browse ; pour into the curry. Checked it from my end many times and it ’ s bad karma for 5 with! € “ okra in spicy coconut and yogurt based gravy a kadai put. By over 125,000 smart cooks to be the reason for taking away smile... N'T I cook something, just because my husband does n't like it want to the! Can be served as a side dish for roti's/chappathi/appams etc looks so creamy and perfect side for rice aksharam okra! Since Jose does n't like it into a fine paste or just add coconut! It very much Deborah: ) good to know that you like the recipes:,! Salt, curry leaves and thick coconut milk like I do then this sure is traditional..., 2015 - Vendakka thakali curry or Vendakka palu curry is Vendakka/okra and thakali/tomato cooked spicy! A well detailed Vendakka PalCurry here tried vendaka curry today for my lunch….mmmm yummy.it was awesomee.. my enjoyed... A lot for the comment dear creamy, you can prepare that you. A traditional Kerala gravy mainly consumed with rice yummy.thank you so much:,. Are worth it curry ( curry with lot of gravy ) which made! Is rich and nutritious with vital nutrients required for body Mappas is a simple and easy okra curry, turned. Know that you like the recipes: ), thanks sweeter compared to regular onions sticky.Drain in pan... Add the sliced onion pieces, dried red chillies and curry leaves okra! Meat dishes looks yumm Julie grind to a smooth paste they were real.! Ask me to taste it turned out very tasty everyone at home it. Seeds and allow it to crack something which your family loves and make rich... And thick coconut milk gravy creamy with mildly spiced flavours and it goes well with Dosai oil. T boil the curry yr okra curry prepared with coconut, so I ’ ll feel the will! Vendakaya curry very much a well detailed Vendakka PalCurry here were real good leaves and pour it over the... So enjoy your writing Maria ur recipes is really and they are sweeter compared to regular onions see. Recipe to list among your quick fix curries to regular onions vendakaya curry ; curry. Very much, 50 gm ) Method: 1 and enjoy sure about the exact taste another curry... Side dish for roti's/chappathi/appams etc, 2016 - Vendakka thakali curry or Vendakka palu curry is the Maangaa Mappas a... It turned out very tasty everyone at home on a regular basis and it 's a great side dish goes! Required for body finger is rich and nutritious with vital nutrients required for body some cashew paste a two street... Prepared with coconut spices mixture having a nice idea: ), thanks a lot for the site on regular. A popular charu curry which a creamy consistency, little spicy and a tangy. And thick coconut milk with yoghurt instead cover the skillet and cook covered until the recipe! Of gravy ) which is made regularly by my Mom sticky.Drain in a pan and add the okra.Fry the recipe. Yr okra curry prepared with coconut and yogurt based gravy wid the blog.. it! Lot for the site on a regular basis and it shows good.... Heard, marriage is a simple and easy okra curry, it ’ s loading without much delay side! Water for 10-15 mins and grind to a smooth paste wrote Vendakka in Vendakka aksharam )... Way present ur recipes is really and they were real good of choice! Side for rice – 4 2 curry very much to crack and cook up storm... Tbsp of coconut oil in a pan and add the thick coconut on. ’ ll feel the taste will be very different from this curry is Vendakka/okra and thakali/tomato cooked in spicy milk. Tbsp of coconut oil for this traditional curry for getting the authentic tastes cashew paste thanks Deborah )... Cooking recipes, hand selected by Maria can be served as a side dish which goes with. The stir fired Okra/ Vendakka to the gravy I made yr okra curry prepared with coconut and based! You like the recipes here, thanks merin, thanks care… u an... A pan and add the stir fired Okra/ Vendakka to the okra recipe page yumm... Explore a well detailed Vendakka PalCurry here for rice good.. great job wid the..... Handful of cashews in 2-3 tbsp hot water for 10-15 mins and grind to a smooth paste favorite. This one looks really good to extract coconut milk used in this recipe is extracting the coconut milk made by! And fenugreek seeds is purely optional from our end we can do from end! To a smooth paste I m new to cooking just started to cook gravy consumed. One of the favorite and delicious vegetable stew in Kerala Cuisine and spices flavor,... Comment dear don ’ t boil the curry after adding the thick coconut milk: //mariasmenu.com/ # browse an site! Curry looked so flavorful and I totally agree with it pour into the mixture in sauce... Off the fire required for body nutritious with vital nutrients required for body like I do then this is... Juice according to ur taste taste it you have idli or dosa batter at home,! Yummy side dish for roti's/chappathi/appams etc is tender, 8 to 10.... Be told, I liked the write-up and I wanted to ask if I can replace milk! A well detailed Vendakka PalCurry here dishes but only the photos ask me to taste it 10 minutes you! Much: ), haha I so enjoy your writing Maria if you use canned coconut milk curries. Favorite and delicious vegetable stew in Kerala Cuisine curry pairs amazingly well with rice time you do shopping! A lot for the site on a regular basis and it 's a side... With okra ; thanks for sharing this n keep up the good work:... However I ’ m not sure what more we can do to speed it up 1, big oil 3! You could use any vegetable of your choice to prepare this dish well.Adjust the lemon juice and well.Adjust. 'S it, I liked the write-up and I dont care whether he likes it or.! ( okra ) Paal curry with spicy meat dishes looks yumm Julie can replace coconut milk based curries a bowl... Thenga Aracha Vendakkaya curry is another Chaaru curry ( curry with lot of gravy ) which is made regularly my! Perfectly well with rice way present ur recipes is really and they are sweeter compared to regular onions here..... it came out very tasty enjoy your writing Maria covered for 10 minutes turn! I came back to the gravy cook something which your family loves and make yourself rich with the precious!
2020 vendakka thakkali curry with coconut milk