The leaves can be used like spinach and eaten raw, chopped up and baked in quiches, cooked like collards, or deep fried. There’s a standard recipe floating around the internet that I used, sorta. Jelly – The sweetness of kudzu flowers lends well to make them into jelly and jams. It was not in all supers or even all frames in the supers where it was found. The kudzu plant produces fragrant blossoms which you can make into jelly, syrup and candy. I have gone from 2 hives to 6 so fingers are crossed. If you favor candied sweet potatoes or yams, then you might also want to give these recipes a try. I, too, came across this report but dismissed it because many beekeepers with blue or purple honey swear there was no sourwood for miles around. Shirk the social norm and eat a guinea pig. If not, is it just food for the moment? On January 13, 1981 Dr. John Ambrose, at the time Associate Professor Entomology/Extension Apiculturist N.C. State, wrote, “we have done quite a bit of work on blue honey and our findings is that blue honey is produced from sourwood trees that grow in soils that have a high aluminum content. So go for it. Also, purple honey is said to taste like grape jam and smell like grape soda—descriptions that are often applied to kudzu … Best thing you can do is search for a bee club local to you. The leaves can be used like spinach and eaten raw, chopped up and baked in quiches, or cooked just like you would cook collards. Kudzu roots can be baked, boiled, or fried much as you would prepare potatoes. In an attempt to save them I dropped a frame of eggs from the Italians into the Irish but it was too late into the season and too cold. The sourwood-labeled honey from the same producer this year is not dark . Can bees even make honey from fruit/fruit juice? Well, we’ve officially lost the hive that produced the purple honey; we’ll call them the “Irish.” Back in early November we had a string of near freezing nights and each morning there was an unusually large number of dead bees on the front porch of the Irish while there would only be a couple dead ones on the porch of its neighbor, we’ll call them the “Italians.”. We are located 2 miles south of the Fort Bragg training area in Raeford, NC. A beekeeper can label the variety however he pleases. Thus we have such names as house fly, blow fly, and robber fly contrasted with dragonfly, caddicefly, and butterfly, because the latter are not flies, just as an aphislion is not a lion and a silverfish is not a fish. Also on the kudzu being the source. After not TOO much trouble, I tracked the guy down and tracked the story down. Make sure you don't confuse gelatin with Jell-O, the flavored gelatin snack food. Yes, say experts, as long as you know what you’re doing. Can they convert that to honey? Do a kudzu stir-fry. It was delicious! The leaves, vine tips, flowers, and roots are edible; the vines are not. Elderberries are strictly a pollen plant for bees. It doesn't have color or taste its own.". My advice is to know your beekeeper, but also to really look at the honey. They’re small and purple and blossom beneath the leaves, which is why they’re not easily noticed. Its purpose it to discuss contemporary issues in beekeeping and bee science. Rusty, I’m reading The Secret Life of Bees and “The bees, they start sucking on that elderberry.” Not blueberries. Your support matters. Kudzu root has also shown to help regulate glucose, AKA sugar, in the … It is high in nitrogen and actually replaces nitrogen in the soil. Awesome photos! I had my doubts. Kudzu contains isoflavones, estrogen-like compounds thought to offer various health benefits. There was a good amount of thin, uncapped honey present that had the smell of honey bee healthy that was disposed of. I just removed a honey super yesterday here in Salem Oregon from a hive that I have in the middle of wild blackberries and I do believe these girls are packin berry juice in. Place a bit of oil into a skillet or wok and heat it up. Although they may seem small and insignificant, pollinators are vital to anyone who eats. What does it taste like? I’m sure it is kudzu; blueberry honey is not purple at all, just plain honey-colored. We are past due for a frost. And Matt Marcus, the new chef-owner of Watershed, Get a taste of the new fusion revolution with the 2018 AJC Spring Dining Guide: Global Mashup. He plants a single source garden in a horseshoe shape and puts a small box inside the curve, so the bees have an abundant source of single flower right outside their door. Is it hard to get started doing? Beekeepers are everywhere. Never seen it. Not so hard to get started, but hard to keep going. Young kudzu shoots are tender and taste similar to snow peas. There’s a standard recipe floating around the internet that I used, sorta. I contacted Professor David Tarpy from the Department of Entomology, North Carolina State University and while he didn’t seem to interested in me sending in a sample for analysis he did point me towards the research his predecessor, Dr. John Ambrose did on the subject back in the 70’s. Maybe we all have enough things to eat already.”. They had also pollinated the flowers, but those are long gone. It is so dark that when I hold a LED flashlight to one side of the jar you can barely see the light on the other side. The honey bee is an insect and is preeminently a bee; “honeybee” is equivalent to “Johnsmith.” Some have wondered if their bees were sick, if their honey had gone bad, if the bees had gotten into garbage, etc. We disassembled the hive to salvage the remaining capped honey from the brood boxes and every single frame had some purple in it. Mine happened the same as you. It gets curiouser and curiouser. Since Kudzu leaves taste similar to spinach, you might want to start off with seasonings that you use for this plant. From what we do know, it appears that kudzu can treat binge drinking and alcoholism–and there aren’t many other herbal and pharmaceutical medicines that can say the same. This website is made possible by people like you. In the jelly, it’s a little apple-like. Last year while uncapping honey with a hot knife I began to smell what I thought was blueberry pie baking. Some frames where all capped and some where the typical brood frames with only the top 1/3 to 1/2 capped but every frame had purple, some entirely, some half and some just a small section. Kudzu flowers may hold the most uses for those looking to get something tasty out of the vine. Adding 6 more hives in March/April and have a huge blackberry patch located to put them in. Bitter melon, or bitter gourd, is not only known for its sharp flavor and distinct appearance but may also have positive effects on health. Yuzu (Citrus junos, from Japanese 柚子 or ユズ) is a citrus fruit and plant in the family Rutaceae of East Asian origin. It was first imported to the United States from Japan in 1876, brought over for the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. Purple honey? Making kudzu edible may be a way to demythologize and destigmatize the plant. Minnesota now has a state bee as well as a state insect. Asian privet, by comparison, takes up 14 times the amount of space that kudzu does. Because Kudzu is a nitrogen-fixing plant, it can outcompete most other plants in soils which lack nitrogen. It’s related to five species in the genus Pueraria (P. montana, P. lobata, P. edulis, P. phaseoloides and P. thomsoni). Bees are seen to be busy in it! Later, in the 1930s to 1940s, kudzu was planted to prevent soil erosion and to stabilize land around railroad tracks. May Help Treat Alcoholism What does chickweed taste like? Tender young kudzu shoots taste kind of like snow peas they say. It should take about five minutes. Good work, Minnesota! I still have about 1.5 quart. Now to come back to the purple honey. Good sized kudzu patch as well when the bloom comes. Unfortunately, the jars all got handed out before I could taste for myself. A couple people suggested buckwheat, but being a life-long aficionado of buckwheat honey, I don’t see any similarity in either appearance or taste. However, taking kudzu extract 200 mg daily does not appear to have the same effects. I’ve heard goldenrod honey described as dark but never purple. By the way, I’ve heard the grape soda/HFCS story many times. It does sound as though they collected it over an extended length of time. There is a 5 acre blueberry patch within a couple hundred yards of that apiary so I figured the bees must have been getting juice from the berries themselves. Go for young kudzu shoots as they're tender and have a taste similar to snow peas. I look forward to eating the roots of these plants while you're waiting in a bread line. Don’t know about NC bet Ga is covered with kudzu so purple honey should be everywhere if that was the source. The leaves, vine tips, flowers and roots are edible; the vines are not. Kudzu leaves. What I did take out I’m keeping for my use only. Honey. You’ll find kudzu draping the scenery off the side of the interstate. I went from 2 hives to 10 currently and I am in my 3rd year. It made its way to the Southeast within a decade. However, kudzu does make a good forage crop. Why is a kudzu leaf hairy? With few natural enemies to weaken the invasives, they often thrive under conditions where the natives fail—and the honey bees are quick to notice. The leaves can be used like spinach and eaten raw, chopped up and baked in quiches, cooked like collards, or deep fried. By the way there is no Kudzu in my area. Thank you. Pretty much all of it — the leaves, flowers and roots — is edible except the vine. Kudzu definition at Dictionary.com, a free online dictionary with pronunciation, synonyms and translation. Kudzu is a vine. Can you tell us about it? It should take about five minutes. Pour in ¼ cup of water or more. The estrogenic activity of kudzu and the cardioprotective effects of its constituent puerarin are also under investigation, but clinical trials are limited. No one is sure where it came from. So although kudzu has become iconically Southern, perhaps to find an edible application for it, it’s best to look to the culinary traditions from where kudzu is rooted. (For those who don't know, kudzu in high in protein and calcium, very similar to alfalfa.) I will have chickens in a coop outside soon and I know they love eating kudzu. The purple-colored, grape-smelling kudzu blossoms can be used to … What Does Gelatin Taste Like? 1. get goats to consume all the foliage as well as new seedlings the next few years. I don’t keep bees, but it is so interesting. In fact, it's considered a delicacy in many areas. Kudzu root starch is an exceptional thickener that can be used like corn starch but it is unprocessed and is far superior in jelling strength, taste, and texture. Kudzu Tea. Here's what the research says so far about kudzu health … Darryl Wilson is a North Carolina forager and entrepreneur whose business, Carolina Kudzu Crazy, focuses on edible applications of the vine. Kudzu has been a staple in Chinese medicine, for like, forever—we’re talking at least 600 AD. It’s a full bodied honey kind of like avocado, but whereas avocado takes on a molasses likeness, the purple has a subtle fruity taste. Don’t they have a system to fill the frames, center to outside or one side to the next rather than randomly? Like a lot of folks, I first heard about it in The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. P.S. For starters, kudzu and purple honey (sometimes called blue honey) share a geographical distribution in the southeast, whereas blueberries and elderberries are found everywhere. All rights reserved Honey Bee Suite © 2009-2020 by Rusty Burlew. So the sourwood nectar may be 80% or 50% or 20% of the total; the rest can be anything. It has the color of blackberry syrup (not blue KoolAid) and has a nice, slightly sour, berry flavor to it. Kudzu is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth appropriately for up to 4 months or when injected intravenously (by IV) for up to 20 days.. No side effects have been reported in clinical studies when kudzu is taken by mouth. After all, in today’s culinary climate of favoring locally grown produce, shouldn’t we eat an edible leaf that grows seemingly everywhere? Each time someone visits Honey Bee Suite, his or her location will appear on the map. Thanks for a great website! So I say let the debate continue. It was, indeed, very dry last year when this honey was put up. Unless you looked at your honey frequently during the season, it might not be obvious which type was collected when. And clinical studies conducted in the recent time do confirm the herb benefits in alcoholism. I’m sure someone has done a pollen analysis of purple honey to determine its floral source, but I haven’t been able to find one. Since Kudzu leaves taste similar to spinach, you might want to start off with seasonings that you use for this plant. I recently picked up 40 bales of kudzu hay. Kudzu bugs range from a moldy green to tannish color and have 6 visible legs with a pair of antennae. I can say for sure, that the purple honey produced by my bees did not come from Kudzu. It is very good and kind of has a grape aftertaste. Others claim that specific soil conditions affect the nectar of some plants causing it to turn purple, and other people write that, “bees have to work the blooms in a certain order in the make the honey purple.” Without some science to back them up, I can’t accept these conjectures either. Everywhere, that is, but on the dinner plate. It seems it already was flavored for grape soda. This guy had purchased high fructose corn syrup CHEAP from a soda bottling company. And it was introduced to the United States in 1876 when it was used to control soil erosion . Kudzu is also known as foot-a-night vine, Japanese arrowroot, Ko-hemp, and “the vine that ate the South.” The vine, a legume, is a member of the bean family. If I get enough (or any) this year I will be selling some. Ah yes, I found a reference using a google search: http://www.ourstate.com/blue-honey/. In alternative medicine, kudzu is typically used for the following conditions: 1. alcoholism 2. menopausal symptoms 3. diabetes 4. common cold 5. fever Not all of these uses are supported by clinical evidence. He has this interesting method. I’m also beginning to wonder if the descriptions “purple” and “blue” refer to the same thing or if, in fact, they are different types of honey from different sources. Well, finally, this year, I was able to make and taste kudzu jelly and I’ve got to say, it IS delicious! Most hackberries like highlands, the sugarberry the low lands. The folks that lived down around Fort Bragg had purple honey and there was a discussion about it here: In fact, if you have a favorite way to prepare leafy green vegetables, you can simply apply it to Kudzu leaves and see how it turns out. I have two hives sitting right next to each other. But this got me thinking. So when we heard that Templeton Rye, in Templeton, Iowa, was raising 25 heritage-breed pigs on a diet that would make the meat taste like rye whiskey, we … If it were kudzu you’d think it would be more popular and also not restricted to the US. I can’t say I recall the taste in the quiche. Turns liquid into jelly in a proportion of two tablespoons per glass of liquid. That way it gives plenty of time to treat for mites and senoma while getting the hive numbers up for winter. He opened the barrel and allowed free-feeding. Use the leaves raw, baked in quiches, cooked down like collards or even deep-fried. I believe if the source was to be from kudzu, not only would purple honey be far more common, we would be seeing it in our hives in the early spring, when kudzu is at peak bloom here in NC. But James Miller, a research ecologist with the U.S. Forest Service at Auburn University in Auburn, Ala., doesn't see kudzu elbowing out spinach or cornstarch any time soon. Certainly buckwheat honey doesn’t taste like grapes, nor is it purple. I’m just dying for a pollen analysis of this stuff and the suspense is killing me. I had gotten rather behind in raspberry picking, and there are not many flowers left around. Maybe blue is from sourwood and purple is from kudzu? I entered it in the local county fair and came in first. I live in north Georgia about 15 miles above Canton to give an area. If you would like me to post a photo, you can email it to me here: rusty@honeybeesuite.com. In the Raleigh/Durham area of NC Kudzu blooms in the dearth of August and my honey was harvested and extracted both years while on vacation during the week of July 4th — long before Kudzu even sets its bloom. The anise taste suggests it may have been some type of herb. Others say they only feed on the kudzu during dry hearths but its been wet here this summer. I personally don’t care to know, I’d rather it continue to be a rare surprise. A couple of the frames are only partially capped and the uncapped cells are full of, what looks like, blackberry juice. It grows in a tropical climate. Read this, it’s kind of interesting: “Brooklyn bees pig-out on maraschino cherry syrup.”. But most of the beekeepers who discover blue honey in their hives will not part with it because it is so rare, and I am told, quite tasty. What do Kudzu Bugs look like? They do it by the pollen in the honey. Also, purple honey is said to taste like grape jam and smell like grape soda—descriptions that are often applied to kudzu flowers as well. Kudzu resembles the native species hog-peanut (Amphicarpea bracteata), but hog-peanut only grows to 1.5 metres and has paler violet or white flowers. ... Kudzu is the most popular thickener in Japan. ‘Haven’t decided how much we’ll sell yet but it will be in small jars so we can spread it around. Pat. One of the classes I took was how to identify what most likely the source of the nectar soon to be honey is/was. A powder is made from the roots is supposed to be better than cornstarch because kudzu powder gives a smooth texture without a starchy taste. Hoping you might have a lead. Have you considered sending it to one of those labs that specialize in pollen identification? In the late summertime kudzu vines flower small purple blossoms, which can be used to flavor jellies, jams, syrups and more. After all, said Jason Liang, “It doesn’t have much taste, and no one seems care about it. Learn how your comment data is processed. If I get more this year I plan on selling some. This tastes like candy, specifically, it tastes like Australian red licorice, only much better and more complex. Sourwood honey should not be dark. Me, being a dumbasp that day forgot to bring my purple. Mint. The taste of kudzu leaves is often compared to that of lettuce or kale. Oh, It is a common host for mistletoe, is a good candidate for bonsai, and like the black walnut its leaf litter discourage growth of other plants. http://peregrinfarms.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/purple-honey/. So I’m wrong about blueberry juice? I’m not aware of any large scale blueberry operations in our area but we do have kudzu however it has been a wet summer so your guess is as good as mine. Kudzu plant also has a spicy property, which carries a dispersing action, pushing toxins out of the body. Kudzu has several uses outside of the medicinal realm. I realized pretty quickly that it was coming from the very dark honey I was uncapping. Back in August, Aubrey from central North Carolina asked if I had any experience with purple honey. It is surprisingly good actually though not as great as highly prized Devil stinger but still actually good. The reason for using it is to create a gel-like consistency. Yeah, I still have about a quart of my purple honey. Check out the species nearest you. Even beekeepers who have been doing it for years learn new things. In TCM : Kudzu Root : Ge Gen Flower Bud of Kudzu : Ge Hua Meridians associated : Spleen and Stomach I am willing to live on their land as an unpaid worker in return for their knowledge of beekeeping. Hope the “girls” get something out of the berries, as winter is coming. I wish someone would figure this out so we could stop with the arguments! Thanks for your blog. But one place you’re unlikely to find kudzu is on your plate. My 4 does share 2 flakes a day while my buck is separated during feeding time. Kudzu originates in East Asia. As I mentioned in several recent posts, honey bees often do well on invasive species, many of which have multiple advantages over native ones. Cook the root - it contains about 10% starch which can be extracted and used as a coating in deep fried foods, or for thickening soups etc. Look it up now! Unless otherwise noted, all text and images appearing on HoneyBeeSuite.com are © Rusty Burlew 2009-2020 and may not be used without prior permission. Don’t know if I believe that one or not. Then when the fall flow starts you are done and have a explosion of bee population to get ready for winter. Balut is prepared sort of like a hard-boiled egg. Still have the $4 winners check. But it wasn’t until farmer, radio personality and Atlanta Constitution columnist Channing Cope exhorted its benefits in the mid-1900s that it began to spread across the region. Kudzu is also known as Japanese Arrowroot. I have not extracted yet but am anxious to see if the capped cells are similar and what the whole batch will be like. It’s just a guess on my part, but the taste of blueberry was very strong in that honey. Crossing our fingers. Those who eat kudzu leaves - which are high in fiber and protein - liken the taste to tofu, which takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked with. I went to the Bee University this year at Young Harris College located in north Georgia. The resultant “honey” was purple in color with the scent and flavor of grapes (like kudzu). Health problems after menopause. Fascinating. How does kudzu tea taste, and how is it made (check Google)? Later, when I bottled it and held it to the light, it had quite a bluish hue. I hate to use it because it is so rare to get it from your bees. Here is a link where you can read a little about his studies Good write-up, too. Those who eat kudzu leaves - which are high in fiber and protein - liken the taste to tofu, which takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked with. Boiled, baked, and fried – Prepare kudzu like other leafy greens or dandelion leaves. Some people say chickweed tastes like spinach. Young kudzu shoots are tender and taste similar to snow peas. I tend to side with the folks who say that purple honey comes from the flowers of the kudzu plant. The pigment that makes it purple is very powerful, after harvesting all the purple I didn’t wash the bottling bucket. Kudzu contains isoflavones, estrogen-like compounds thought to offer various health benefits. Many of these people sounded fearful more than anything. There’s a warning that kudzu looks like poison ivy ... so make sure what is being consumed is in fact kudzu. Pretty much all of it — the leaves, flowers and roots — is edible except the vine. Honey Bee Suite is dedicated to honey bees, beekeeping, wild bees, other pollinators, and pollination ecology. https://youtu.be/BoAetCE_vmY?t=1190. Kudzu bugs have a distinct appearance, but often get confused for a beetle ( CharlesLam , CC BY-SA 2.0). Read more stories like this by liking Atlanta Restaurant Scene on Facebook, following @ATLDiningNews on Twitter and @ajcdining on Instagram. It was weird. No it is not hard but it is an ongoing learning process. This comports with the fact that purple honey is most often collected in years of drought and never collected in large quantities. I could see the purplish color even before the frames were uncapped and placed in the extractor. Quite the entrepreneur, he bottled it and sold it under the kudzu honey label. Anything is possible, but we don’t need dishonest folks jumping on the purple honey bandwagon. I searched on purple honey, because I was curious about it and found your blog. "The powder is mixed with water then added to thicken the sauce or soup. We think chickweed tastes almost exactly like corn silk, the wispy threadlike styles that stick out from the top of an ear of corn. Add in some ginger, garlic cloves, tamari, bok choy, and kudzu powder or leaves to taste. This year for the first time I am seeing my honey bees eating the raspberry fruit. Kudzu is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth appropriately for up to 4 months or when injected intravenously (by IV) for up to 20 days.. No side effects have been reported in clinical studies when kudzu is taken by mouth.
2020 what does kudzu taste like