Find another word for credible. Etymology: Cognate with Old Frisian luve love, Old Saxon luƀa love, inclination, Old High German luba love, inclination (also in the compound muotluba , mōtluba love), and also with Gothic (weak feminine) -lubō (in brōþru-lubō brotherly love) < the same Germanic base as Old Saxon luƀig willing, pious, Old English lufen hope, Gothic lubains hope, and probably also lof n. Capable of persuading people that something will happen or be successful. 2. that can be accepted, because it seems possible that it could be successful synonym viable Community service is seen as the only credible alternative to imprisonment. The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) is widely regarded as the accepted authority on the English language. The OED has a long and visible history of scholarship behind it, with ongoing research both into new additions and backtracking citations for existing ones. The dictionary has been published by the Oxford University Press for over 100 years, it was in every school in the UK, and is subsequently one of the main reasons why the name ‘Oxford’ has become recognised globally. Samual Johnson is accredited with making the first pre-eminent dictionary. Both Oxford and Cambridge Dictionary are two of the most popular dictionaries around the world. View synonyms. It's bigger and better, well established and they have a large team always working on it. 2 : of sufficient capability to be militarily effective a credible deterrent … Includes some of Oxford University Press’s most visited titles including The Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd edition and the Oxford Classical Dictionary, 4th edition. 600,000 words … 3.5 million quotations … over 1000 years of English. Age 8+ New edition of the bestselling Oxford Primary Dictionary with more words added, more spelling support, and enhanced supplements for grammar and language help. These worksheets and activities are the perfect accompaniment to the Oxford Student's Science Dictionary for students of 14+ years. I own a copy of Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary - 7th Edition. Reliable definition: People or things that are reliable can be trusted to work well or to behave in the way... | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples ODE is a valuable resource for anyone using English in an academic or professional context. credible definition: 1. able to be believed or trusted: 2. able to be believed or trusted: 3. able to be believed or…. There are some very good dictionaries done by others, however I still use the old Shorter Oxford in printed form because it is faster, but also gives the historical data, which is ideal for certain projects. Late Middle English from Latin credibilis, from credere ‘believe’. To 14. Browse and download extra practice activities to use with our materials. At twenty volumes, the OED is by far the most comprehensive commentary on the English language. Credible definition, capable of being believed; believable: a credible statement. Define is. Credible: worthy of being accepted as true or reasonable. Many of its rivals – Collins, Chambers et al - have already launched free web versions. See more. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/words/a-short... http://www.merriam-webster.com/info/faq.htm. You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer. Australian Oxford Dictionary (2 ed.) Since I got it, I've been content with the the amount of information in there, but I recently looked up the word "atheist" and found this definition: "Someone who believes that God does not exist" I have couple issues about it, and I hope someone would clear up the matter for me.. ~ why just God? Get answers by asking now. 1.1. Find another word for credible. acceptable, trustworthy, reliable, dependable, sure, good, valid. With descriptions for approximately 600,000 words, the Oxford English Dictionary is the world's most comprehensive single-language print dictionary according to the Guinness Book of World Records. Does English Have More Words Than Any Other Language? Easy-to-use with clear entries and examples from the books children love reading, plus curriculum help, it is the ideal dictionary for children aged 8+. Oxford definition: a city in S England, administrative centre of Oxfordshire , at the confluence of the... | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples You should say ‘The Oxford Dictionary’. Why plant-based diets aren’t credible: Joanna Blythman at the Oxford Real Farming Conference by Joanna Blythman on 31 January, 2020 in Food Systems In this transcript of a talk from our session at the Oxford Real Farming Conference, Joanna Blythman talks about the nutritional and cultural value of meat.
2020 why is the oxford dictionary credible