Thanks A: Yes. 1. (see screenshot below) www.computerhope.com The BAT file method would also be good if you use any other programs, like streaming or macro software, when playing games, because it enables you to launch multiple programs with one shortcut. You can use the UID of the device to get around this issue with the batch file/exe. Rename the shortcut to your desired name if you want. This program demonstrates how to use the Windows Script Host to create a shortcut on the Windows Desktop. Examples to create a desktop shortcut with WSH. Steps on how to start or open an exe file from within a Windows batch file. Here is the code (to be tested). ATM it creates a "shortcut" to the client by writing a batch file on the desktop which launches it, but i want a real shortcut(.lkn), not a .bat file, it looks better I have compiled the batch script into an .exe and included a shortcut making program, this works fine but I would prefer it without the shortcut making program, if its possible. Open a command prompt as administrator on one of the target PCs. Shortcut is a small program, weighing just 56KB, that allows you to create, modify or query Windows shortcuts from the command-line. Yes it is possible to create a shortcut, sort of... you can create a .url file which works just like a shortcut (.lnk) file from at least windows 98 on up to currently Windows 7. Privacy Policy, Create an Internet Shortcut Using Batch File. It signifies that a the current command has ended and a new command is starting. Examples to create a desktop shortcut with WSH. I've searched multiple forum posts and it appears the error I'm getting is pretty generic. Your batch file will start performing the written tasks. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread. echo. But in the latest Version of Windows 8 or 10, we have to create this “My Computer” Shortcut icon on Windows 10 Desktop manually. then change the extension file back to .bat, About us | Step 4 Open the shortcut properties dialog. :yes I've tried running it as admin without any luck. See the following screenshot: Set the desired icon and name for your shortcut. From now, we are going to jump into some fascinating real world applications and some important commands that makes using your Windows PC much easier and comfortable than ever. Download Add New Windows Batch File to the Windows 10 Context Menu and extract the two files. You might also want to give us the entire script and the full path of the file you wish to delete. rem   copies an Access database (sites.accdb) and associated icon (sites.ico) In a batch file we can use loops (for), conditional statements (if), control statements (goto), etc. So if you also want to pin a batch script file to Taskbar or Start Menu in Windows OS, check out following simple steps: 1. Here Well, you can, by creating a batch file, or a desktop shortcut that opens two or three or more specified programs at once. If /I %INPUT%==y goto yes Hope this helps. Also, I know that I can simply do this by going to Start Menu\All Programs\Accessories\ right-clicking on Notepad and selecting Send to\Desktop (create shortcut).Easy enough for creating a single shortcut. Here's the batch file:-----@echo off cls rem This batch file creates a folder at user's C:\Program Files(x86), rem copies an Access database (sites.accdb) and associated icon (sites.ico) rem to that new folder, then places a shortcut to same on the desktop. Making Batch Files-----"A batch file is a normal text file, no programming involved. after finish editing, save and close it. The vbs file is deleted at the end of the batch script. Create an Advanced Batch File. We can run a batch file directly from the command prompt by typing its name. An advanced batch file needs more commands than a simple batch file. echo . Checkk your subdirectories (like Bureaublad). To run one of these examples, copy the code below into a new program file … An advanced batch file executes many commands at one time. copy sites.accdb "c:\program files (x86)"\Sites Then cd to your desktop, and run 'gpresult /h test.html'. I've created a logon script that maps a drive to a company folder (policies, fax coversheets, and such), but am running into problems due to large number of users and employee turn-over. In the Properties window, go to the General tab and click the Change icon button at the bottom. Thanks. pause, -----------------------------------------------, And yes, lol, I should put some error checking in that. To run one of these examples, copy the code below into a new program file … Microsoft global customer service number. Rename the shortcut to the desired name that will appear in the Start Menu. You can help protect yourself from scammers by verifying that the contact is a, official Q: Is there a way to create a batch file which would put a desktop icon onto the desktop which invokes an HTML page in a web browser and change the associated icon for that particular desktop item, all in one batch file? Q: Is there a way to create a batch file which would put a desktop icon onto the desktop which invokes an HTML page in a web browser and change the associated icon for that particular desktop item, all in one batch file? To create a desktop shortcut to a file, first, locate the file somewhere in File Explorer. by philip.weissv. The changes will immediately be reflected when you run the batch file. ATM it creates a "shortcut" to the client by writing a batch file on the desktop which launches it, but i want a real shortcut(.lkn), not a .bat file, it looks better I have compiled the batch script into an .exe and included a shortcut making program, this works fine but I would prefer it without the shortcut making program, if its possible. This program demonstrates how to use the Windows Script Host to create a shortcut on the Windows Desktop. By enumerating the logonserver environment variable, the client system will copy the shortcut from the netlogon share on it's authenticating domain controller. I used this script to create one for all users. Right-click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties. Then, you give the text file a .bat extension instead of a .txt extension. How to Create a This PC Shortcut in Windows 10 My Computer was changed to This PC in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1. Type the path and name of the batch file, and press Enter: C:\PATH\TO\FOLDER\BATCH-NAME.bat. Disclaimer & Terms of Use | The words “Create Link in Desktop” will appear. Uncomment (::) and add the appropriate information if desired. Open File Explorer (left-click the File Explorer icon on the Taskbar or left-click on the Start Menu and select File Explorer) and navigate to the object you want to create a shortcut to.If you're going to create a Desktop shortcut, make sure File Explorer is not in full-screen mode. Then in the shortcut box, you have to type in this – “c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe –r –t 00”. To run one of these examples, copy the code below into a new program file and run it. This program demonstrates how to use the Windows Script Host to create a shortcut on the Windows Desktop. Just modify the highlighted lines per your environment. Pick one of the ms-settings apps listed below and type it into the input box. To create a shortcut in Windows 10, you need to know where the object is located on your computer. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. For me it would be ideal if it was an option in action center (New feature for Windows 10?) In order to run this example, you must have the Windows Script Host installed on your computer. I tried adding .ink to the end of the shortcut, but that didn't work. Then open the test.html file which will be created on your desktop in a browser to see if the GPO is actually being applied to that target PC. Learn More. Are you smarter than most IT pros? The process is fairly simple. To run one of these examples, copy the code below into a new program file … copy sites.ico "c:\program files (x86)"\Sites On the Shortcut tab, click on the Advanced button. Making Batch Files-----"A batch file is a normal text file, no programming involved. Use "Create shortcut" on both, right-click and set "Shortcut" > "Advanced..." > "Run as administrator". Your batch file will start performing the written tasks. But here is a reply on pretty much anything if you RIGHT CLICK it you get a MENU list and in there you should find 'Create Shortcut'. Yes it is possible to create a shortcut, sort of... you can create a .url file which works just like a shortcut (.lnk) file from at least windows 98 on up to currently Windows 7. Create a Windows Shortcut. Right-click or tap and hold any blank place on the Windows 10 Desktop. Its syntax is: Shortcut.exe /F:filename /A:C|E|Q [/T:target] [/P:parameters] [/W:workingdir] [/R:runstyle] [/I:icon,index] [/H:hotkey] [/D:description] Example 1 It’s free to use. It'll create a new shortcut of the batch file. Good luck. rem     Now put shortcut on their desktop We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Tech support scams are an industry-wide issue where scammers trick you into paying for unnecessary Here It’s quick and easy to set it up so that a quick shortcut can open any executable file. Any help and ideas on what I need to put into the VB Script and/or Batch File to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated! As a result, my primary solution will only be applicable to Windows users: Right-click the script and select create a shortcut; Right-click the new shortcut and select properties; Under the shortcut … Just paste the code below into a bat script and execute it to create a shortcut on the All Users desktop folder: echo Set oWS = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.Shell") > CreateShortcut.vbs When I run it from the Command window I get the following output: C:\>del "C:\Users\NobleK\Desktop\test.lnk" and the file test.lnk is deleted from the desktop. Create an Advanced Batch File. You can open Windows Explorer by pressing the Windows and E keys. The .url file which is actually used for the Windows Favorites bookmarks is a simple text file which references a … This program demonstrates how to use the Windows Script Host to create a shortcut on the Windows Desktop. Shortcut is called Sites. on ... Popular Topics in Windows 10. simply change the .bat file extension to .txt for editing. All the commands written in a Batch File are executed by Windows inbuilt utility CLI short for Command Line Interpreter.. You can write the commands in Notepad or Notepad++, and then save the file with the .bat file extension.Saving the file with this extension makes … Is this a rights issue? Place your cursor on the Batch file and double click on it. In order to run this example, you must have the Windows Script Host installed on your computer. Tech support scams are an industry-wide issue where scammers trick you into paying for unnecessary During the reign of Windows 7, When we install Windows 7 on our PC, it creates “My Computer” Shortcut icon on Windows 10 Desktop automatically. If /I %INPUT%==n goto end I tried renaming it to something totally different as well. Is it possible (using a batch file) to simply create a shortcut with a network path to the company folder? Does anyone know how to create a desktop shortcut to an executable using a command line/batch or reg file?I need it to solve desktop shortcuts for silent installer withous link creation switch like trojan remover.Or for example, can i make a file to create shortcuts on desktop … I can see this shortcut option being useful for a large number of Windows 10 users. goto end Hello. 2. That’s all you need to do to set the shortcut up, and make it look good. You can help protect yourself from scammers by verifying that the contact is a To pin a batch file (*.bat or *.cmd) file to the Windows 10 Start Menu or Taskbar: Right-click on the batch file and select Create Shortcut from the context menu. I used this script to create one for all users. Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site. If you know a way please reply. www.computerhope.com The BAT file method would also be good if you use any other programs, like streaming or macro software, when playing games, because it enables you to launch multiple programs with one shortcut. Also, I know that I can simply do this by going to Start Menu\All Programs\Accessories\ right-clicking on Notepad and selecting Send to\Desktop (create shortcut).Easy enough for creating a single shortcut. Once you have all this ready, you can create a desktop shortcut for the task. technical support services. Add New Batch File Context Menu.reg Remove New Batch File Context Menu.reg Double-click Add New Batch File Context Menu.reg or Remove New Batch File Context Menu.reg to add or remove New > Windows Batch File to your Context Menu. He is passionate about Microsoft technologies and he has been a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) for 10 consecutive years from 2003 to 2012. To run one of these examples, copy the code below into a new program file … Protect Yourself From Tech Support Scams At any time, you can right-click your batch file and click Edit in the resulting drop-down menu. Example 1 STEP 2 Once the shortcut is created, right click on it and choose the Properties option. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! echo Continue with installation of Cultural Resources Manager? First, download the WinHotKey program from Directedge. This will open the batch file as a Notepad document; at this point, you can make any changes and then save the file by pressing Ctrl+S.. I'm trying this on a Win 7 PC, fully patched. I also ran a CMD prompt as Admin, then launched the batch file from there, but still no joy. rem   to that new folder, then places a shortcut to same on the desktop. – pajevic Feb 7 '11 at 12:52 This is possible. technical support services. Edit the batch file's contents. To run one of these examples, copy the code below into a new program file and run it. An advanced batch file needs more commands than a simple batch file. It'll create a new shortcut of the batch file. Any help and ideas on what I need to put into the VB Script and/or Batch File to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated! From now, we are going to jump into some fascinating real world applications and some important commands that makes using your Windows PC much easier and comfortable than ever. Choose New > Shortcut. To create shortcuts of files or folders for your desktop on Windows 10, follow this procedure step by step: Find a file or folder of which shortcut you want to create on the desktop. I've created a logon script that maps a drive to a company folder (policies, fax coversheets, and such), but am running into problems due to large number of users and employee turn-over. To pin a batch file (*.bat or *.cmd) file to the Windows 10 Start Menu or Taskbar: Right-click on the batch file and select Create Shortcut from the context menu. A: Yes. Right-click on the batch file and select " Create shortcut " option. In such a case, you need administrative privileges to run the command embedded in the batch file. The reason you want the files in %PUBLIC% is so that all users receive the link and the link can only be removed by a member of the Administrators group. let’s see how to create a restart shortcut in Windows 10. Accept the offer to create the shortcut on your desktop then move it into your drafting folder. General → Create an Internet Shortcut Using Batch File. Create Your Own Shortcuts Using Batch File Till now all the tutorials are the basics that you need to start with batch files. Select the file and press Alt key from the keyboard. I have a .bat file that removes an existing shortcut and creates a new one, but the new shortcut has the old url. Batch file to place shortcut on all users desktops. When creating your batch file, you can choose to either use the Windows icon or create one of your own. pause How to Create a This PC Shortcut in Windows 10 My Computer was changed to This PC in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1. All you need to do is have your scheduled task already configured, and enabled. As a fair warning, I own a Windows 10 PC that I tend to use for development. Create Your Own Shortcuts Using Batch File Till now all the tutorials are the basics that you need to start with batch files. Create Restart Shortcut in Windows 10 To create a shortcut to restart Windows 10, use the shutdown /r /t 0 command as follows: Right click the Desktop and select New - Shortcut. If you hard code the hostname in the batch file or script then the copy will fail if that domain controller is offline. It’s a … Could I use group policy instead, or an .inf file to add something to the registry? Some application installers in Windows do not create a desktop icon. Type the path and name of the batch file, and press Enter: C:\PATH\TO\FOLDER\BATCH-NAME.bat. In order to run this example, you must have the Windows Script Host installed on your computer. To Create Shortcut to App, File, Folder, or Drive using "Send to" Context Menu 1 While on your desktop (Win+D) or in File Explorer (Win+E), select one or more items you want to create shortcuts for. This tip works in older versions of Windows as well. When I run it, the folder is created, the database and icon are copied over, but then it fails at the line for copying over the shortcut, saying "the system cannot find the file specified.". Does anybody know how to create a shortcut on a user's desktop from within a batch file? It's actually really simple. Release the mouse button to … Then you need to set the name of your shortcut and then set a new icon for that. I've created a batch file to create a new folder on user's C: (in \program files (x86)), copy an Access database and associated icon into that location, and then copy a shortcut to the user's desktop. The ampersand (&) is a special character in batch files/the Windows command shell. Select the file and press Alt key from the keyboard. It signifies that a the current command has ended and a new command is starting. Here are some examples: Ramesh Srinivasan founded Winhelponline.com back in 2005. If you prefer white use "%SystemRoot%\system32\pnidui.dll" instead. Steps on how to start or open an exe file from within a Windows batch file. Proper icons can be changed using "%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll" in "Shortcut" > "Change Icon...". Also tried running it with antivirus turned off. How do I modify the url path on an existing internet shortcut? mkdir "c:\program files (x86)"\Sites I'm looking for a way to create a shortcut to disable touchscreen on my computer without having to go into device manager every time. If you want a specific app’s icon to be what launches your batch file, locate the app by using the Windows Explorer. An advanced batch file executes many commands at one time. To do this, go to File > Save As, navigate to the desktop, and type the name of your shortcut followed by.bat (for example, Chrome and Steam.bat) in the File name field. Restore or Reinstall Windows Store in Windows 10 after uninstalling it with PowerShell, Windows 10: Latest Cumulative Update Direct Download Links, How to Download Missing System files (dll, exe, sys) from Microsoft site, Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit. For example, the following command runs the batch file … This is possible. Right-click on the batch file and select "Create shortcut" option. Does anybody know how to create a shortcut on a user's desktop from within a batch file? It is a script file used to automate tasks. For example, the following command runs the batch file … 3 Create a batch file shortcut - ThisBatch.lnk 3.1 In C:\Tools\ThisBatch, right-click on ThisBatch.bat and select Create shortcut. Have you thought of using the mklink command to create a softlink(shortcut) to the file? Is it possible (using a batch file) to simply create a shortcut with a network path to the company folder? You would open File Explorer to view This PC. Tech support scams are an industry-wide issue where scammers trick you into paying for unnecessary technical support services. Copy the batch file and change "disabled" to "enabled" for reactivation. Microsoft Employee and that the phone number is an LEFT CLICK it and you should see it appear in the folder your in. ... everytime I create a new folder/shortcut to the desktop, this (see pic) happens. set INPUT= set /P INPUT=Enter (Y)es or (N)o to continue or cancel: %=% … Then I tried copying the shortcut to the newly-created folder You can help protect yourself from scammers by verifying that the contact is a Microsoft Agent or Microsoft Employee and that the phone number is an official Microsoft global customer service number. This program demonstrates how to use the Windows Script Host to create a shortcut on the Windows Desktop. You would open File Explorer to view This PC. Hold down the Alt key on your keyboard and then drag and drop the file or folder to your desktop. 3.2 Tidy up the name so it appears as ThisBatch. All the files to be copies are located in the Q:  Is there a way to create a batch file which would put a desktop icon onto the desktop which invokes an HTML page in a web browser and change the associated icon for that particular desktop item, all in one batch file? Also, we can run one batch file from another batch file using the CALL command. set INPUT= You can open Windows Explorer by pressing the Windows and E keys. Right-click the shortcut you created and select Properties from the context menu. Services - Start, Stop, and Disable in Windows 10 - TenForumsTutorials For Option 2, which is probably the simplest method overall, you would write out the necessary SC command in a batch file and then put a shortcut to that batch file on your desktop or some other convenient location. Open Notepad and type the commands to create an advanced Batch File. echo Continue with installation of Cultural Resources Manager? How to Create a Batch File to Launch Multiple Apps. ver | FIND "Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]" >NUL && copy NETWORKSHARE\SHORTCUT.lnk "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\SHORTCUT.lnk" Now permissions to the folders so only each user can access their own folder is a whole other beast, but one I have written scripts to do this as well if needed. In the shortcut target box, type or copy-paste the following command: shutdown /r /t 0. The easiest way we've found is to use a bat script to create vbs code, and then execute the code with cscript. This thread is locked. A Batch File is the list of commands that are executed in sequence until all commands are executed. Open Notepad and type the commands to create an advanced Batch File. In order to run this example, you must have the Windows Script Host installed on your computer. mklink %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Sites "C:\program files (x86)\sites\sites.accdb", https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753194(v=ws.11).aspx. If you want a specific app’s icon to be what launches your batch file, locate the app by using the Windows Explorer. To create shortcuts of files or folders for your desktop on Windows 10, follow this procedure step by step: Find a file or folder of which shortcut you want to create on the desktop. cls What is a Batch File? Desktop Shortcut For Scheduled Tasks. ----------------------------------------------------------------, @echo off 2. This program demonstrates how to use the Windows Script Host to create a shortcut on the Windows Desktop. You need to know the exact name of the scheduled task in order to configure the desktop shortcut for it. It is extremely easy to create shortcut to a file or folder using the Shortcut Create wizard in Windows, but there’s no direct way to create a shortcut from the command line. In order to run this example, you must have the Windows Script Host installed on your computer. same folder as the batch file. Microsoft global customer service number. Step 3 Create a shortcut for your batch file and place on the Desktop. Some application installers in Windows do not create a desktop icon. copy sites "%USERPROFILE%"\Desktop Thanks A: Yes. RickS When creating your batch file, you can choose to either use the Windows icon or create one of your own. A batch file can be used to complete repetitive or common tasks. Sure, there is the mklink utility but it creates a “ symbolic link ” and not a “shortcut”. Then if you RIGHT CLICK the Shortcut you can either 'COPY' it or 'CUT' it and then you can RIGHT CLICK it and 'PASTE' it anywhere. You type DOS commands into a text file, each one on a seperate line. How to Free Up Hard Disk Space in Windows 10, How to View WinHelp (.hlp) Files in Windows 10, Windows Defender "HostsFileHijack" alert appears if Telemetry is blocked, OneDrive Files On-Demand Downloads - Block and Unblock Apps via Settings, Limit Windows Update Bandwidth for Background Downloads in Windows 10, Get Windows 10 Official ISO Images Using Media Creation Tool or Direct Download, Find the Windows version, build and edition from ISO or DVD, Cannot Save Files to Desktop and Error "File not found" in Windows 10. How to Enable Blue Light Reduction in Windows 10? Drag and drop the file to the desktop as the following image is showing. The desktop shortcut of application will appear on screen like this. The .url file which is actually used for the Windows Favorites bookmarks is a simple text file which references a … ... Just create a shortcut on your own desktop then cut and paste it into C:\Users\Public\Desktop First of all create a shortcut of the batch (.BAT) file or .CMD file. Microsoft Agent or For that, create a shortcut of the batch file in question by right clicking on it and then by clicking on the Create shortcut option. Step 2 Modify the line set VMNAME="Windows 10", replace the "Windows 10" portion with your virtual machine name. Then, you give the text file a .bat extension instead of a .txt extension. 1. (c:\program files (x86)\sites), but that failed with the same error. rem   This batch file creates a folder at user's C:\Program Files(x86), Just modify the highlighted lines per your environment. In order to run this example, you must have the Windows Script Host installed on your computer. Also keep in mind this is not a tablet. Place your cursor on the Batch file and double click on it. set /P INPUT=Enter (Y)es or (N)o to continue or cancel: %=% Cheers Matt :) echo. Contact us | You type DOS commands into a text file, each one on a seperate line. Right-click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties. How to Create a Batch File to Launch Multiple Apps. This is possible. official :). 2 Right click or press and hold on the selected item (s), click/tap on Send to, and click/tap on Desktop (create shortcut). echo Please hang on a sec' while files are copied to your PC.... :end echo This next part fails... First, you have to right-click on the Desktop and go to “New” and then choose “Shortcut”. This creates a temporary vbs file in Windows\Temp with a random name. Here’s how to do it. Accept the on-screen prompt and select the ICO file you want to use for the shortcut. Rename the shortcut to the desired name that will appear in the Start Menu.
2020 batch file to create shortcut on desktop windows 10