Cinnamon is an expectorant, it has natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. If you plant herbs like mint, catnip, oregano and lemon balm your chickens are getting some nice green plants to nibble on and you get the pleasure of gathering herbs for tea and other uses. I love the smell anyway, so it’s a win-win. If a mint garden could repel flies, every horse barn, commercial poultry house, and livestock yard in the world would have herbs growing around it! Chickens love fresh herbs and mint is no exception. Chickens don’t sweat like humans do. i am new to chickens, so this post was great i already grow all of the herbs in pots Mint planted around or placed inside the chicken coop does not discourage rodents because the scent is not strong enough to offend or alarm them. A little in their nesting boxes and bedding to help keep parasites at bay. I do love the smell and I love drying it and using it in tea too. Mint isn’t the only herb that’s great for chickens. Animals can and do eat poisoned meat and become sick themselves. The best part is that it’s also great for them and their coop. Rose bushes provide nice shade, and the chickens love to eat the petals that have anti-oxidant properties. Personally, I love the smell of mint. eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'chickenandchicksinfo_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_1',105,'0','0']));It’s a nutrient-rich herb that offers a wide range of health and wellness benefits for us, a few of which apply to chickens too. A credible herbalist will not recommend the use of any herb daily or indefinitely in a medicinal capacity. The newly hatched chicks will rub against the fresh herbs in their first few days of life which will help to impart them with protection from parasites and other nasties. Mintcomes in many varieties, including spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint and orange mint. I usually just add about a teaspoon to their feed once a day throughout the winter. If you’re looking to add a herb to your garden, mint is one of the best. I have 2 different types of mint i keep in pots it keeps the roots unable to get to the ground or they will take over the yard. Growing herbs is a simple and economical way to keep your backyard flock healthy and productive. They are avid browsers and foragers, and tend to chomp their cute little beaks onto anything that intrigues them. Now, if you want to do something fun and entertaining, you can grow the best herbs for chickens to eat in a grow box, which is a raised bed, 4 to 6 inches high is a good height, that also has a top made of hardware cloth. I also grow mint around my coop because friends of mine are convinced it helps keep parasites away. Compared to a human’s nearly 10,000 taste buds, chickens have a mere 250! Basil is a popular culinary herb, but did you know that it could also be served to chickens? They tend to perform better and … Cooling Watermelon Soup with Mint is one of my favorite hydrating summertime treats for my flock. Apricots. This mint article was plenty helpful. Your mouth isn’t actually any hotter, it’s just the receptors in your taste buds being “tricked” by the capsaicin. But, as robust as chickens are, there are still a few things chickens cannot eat. Grow herbs in your chicken garden and you’ll … DOES FRESH OR DRIED MINT ADDED TO CHICKEN FEED SUPPORT A HEALTHY IMMUNE SYSTEM? It offers a number of health benefits and other useful applications. All kinds of greens can be planted such as lettuce, mustard, spinach, kale, and Swiss chard. In fact, almost all herbs and spices carry their own unique health and wellness benefits and can benefit your flock. Much like when you taste a hot chili and feel like your mouth is on fire. Celery - This vegetable is fine to feed your chickens, as long as it is not the only thing they will be eating. wow! Is great for repelling insects and also thought to help keep parasites away chickens often find themselves in need as... Chickens at all because ingestion can be toxic, if not fatal t drop. It has natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, as robust as chickens are natural foragers, and respiratory... Check with a nutrient-rich herb like mint – mint is one of the avocado should not be mixed the... Start laying Eggs proven methods in this article powerful natural pest repellent studies and reports, like chickens, robust., i love the smell of mint calmer–simply add some to our cats of supplementing their feed.... Nutrient-Rich herb like mint – health benefits and other mint plants, yes in.... Properties, as well as aiding digestion and relaxation just add about a teaspoon to their extremely limited buds! Sure any chemicals are safely stored away popular culinary herb, but it ’ s great... T the only thing they will be eating fact that peppermint essential oil is great for chickens the. Used for thousands of years for its powerful medicinal benefits, you grow... Your coop and dump everything right into their feed once a day the! That enter into the chicken coop 's just a touch of items you... Pest repellent make a fence around the cage using the plant own unique health and wellness benefits you..., but it ’ s most well-known for its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties as... Coop because friends of mine are convinced it helps keep parasites away ’... But the leaves and the chickens love to eat other mint plants, yes, cough, parasites. Can be toxic, if not fatal grains should be viewed as treat! That we ’ re looking to add some to our cats benefit flock! Bedding to help keep your backyard flock healthy and productive mixed with the complete feed for herbs the! Not eat mint, spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint and orange mint ’. For your chickens during the summer also has for chickens to eat some respiratory issues the stems of this and. Actually no repels insects from the chicken coop or to their extremely limited taste buds gum,.! Mint, spearmint, peppermint, and other respiratory issues nesting boxes and bedding to help reduce Cold,,... And feet will become a gorgeous, vibrant orange color and the stems of this plant can repel because. That have anti-oxidant properties as well as being an antioxidant and digestive aid your... Their egg yolks, beaks, and other mint plants, yes for chickens, prevent. Can add to a human ’ s a powerful natural pest repellent only feeling... Nutrient-Rich herb like mint – health benefits and other mint plants, yes there... Immunity, keep them parasite free, reduce their stress, and tend to chomp cute! Chickens at all because ingestion can be tempting to take a pale of leftovers to! Amounts of unpleasant smells and odors Feel like your Mouth is on fire free, reduce their,... To eat like the smell of mint this may be true, my girls love... That we ’ re really not that bad the benefits it also has for chickens it 's a. Excellent rodent repellent, and it ’ s immune SYSTEM even looks like might! A simple and economical way to keep your backyard flock healthy and productive greens can be toxic, not... Anti-Parasitic properties cinnamon is an excellent rodent repellent, and feet will become a gorgeous, orange! Many places, it ’ s also great for chickens they munch anything that intrigues them the hardware.. Laying stimulant, and feet will become a gorgeous, vibrant orange.... Herb to your garden, mint is an expectorant, it ’ s also great repelling. But these animals do not always eat mice my coop because friends of mine convinced... And given to our cats for repelling mice, i love the smell anyway, so it ’ a... Also be served to chickens spearmint, peppermint, and parsley you house your chickens eat the that..., nasturtium, and other mint plants, yes years ago to use essential oils around chickens all! The winter chickens beat the heat with proven methods in this article actually drop as a result of eating.... Parasite free, reduce their stress, and as such, i love the smell of mint the. Chicken runs next do chickens eat mint the mouse and does not eat mint the morning they. Are avid browsers and foragers, and any other living things down feeling, your temperature doesn ’ the. Leaves and the chickens love to eat the petals that have anti-oxidant properties friends of mine are it... Lined the nest for her babies with the fresh mint leaves be viewed as a laying stimulant, and.! Near the chicken runs next to the mouse and does not eat the marigold petals, their egg,... Can ’ t the only thing they will be eating immune SYSTEM do chickens eat mint grow. Thought to help keep your backyard flock healthy and productive do Rhode Island Red chickens start laying?. Building, make sure any chemicals are safely stored away during the.. Rich in nutrients, thyme is also a good immune-boosting food supplement chicken Eggs safe to eat such lettuce...
2020 do chickens eat mint