In order to remove a broken clutch from your hedge trimmer, you need to disassemble the engine shrouds in order to gain access. Step 3- Using an 80 or 60 general purpose grinding wheel, sharpen the hedge trimmer blades to maximum efficiency. • When transporting or storing the hedge trimmer always fit the protective blade cover. Put the bolt back and adjust according to instruction and try again. The gear is in red and the clutch is blue. BackyardGadget.com also participates in affiliate programs with Clickbank, Commission Junction, and other sites. engined units designed for hedge and shrub trimming. Not everything that fits into the cutting zone of a hedge trimmer's teeth can actually be cut. 3 • Never operate the trimmer with damaged guards or without the guards in place. Periodic carburetor adjustment may be necessary to assure blades do not move at idle. I am sorry you are having a problem with the hedge trimmer. Defective spark plugs are often a major reason why hedge trimmers won’t start. You’re probably wondering what exactly causes a hedge trimmer to run but not cut hedges and shrubs. Hedge Trimmer The engine exhaust from this product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or ... ECHO does not recommend the use of this machine by anyone who has a pacemaker. Place blade cover on blades when transporting or storing unit. If your screen arrestor is clogged, remove it and use a wire brush to clean it well. If it freeze right in the middle of your trimming, I would first check the dirt between the blades. Working around the house has always been a big part of my life. Hedge Trimmer The engine exhaust from this product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or ... hanging items that could become entangled in moving parts or surrounding growth. Do this for five – ten minutes. I've created this site to share my experience, and to help people choose the right tools for the job. ECHO's Red Armor Blade Cleaner and Lubricant is a bio-based universal blade solution that inhibits corrosion while promoting plant health after trimming. Within the electric category, there are two types, corded and cordless (battery-powered). I recommend taking the trimmer apart and checking the teeth on both of theses parts. Set the hedge trimmer on a flat surface, such as a workbench or table. If your engine runs, but the trimmer blades do not move when the throttle is engaged, the clutch may be broken or improperly tensioned. hedge trimmers blades do not move? Last but not least, my fs-85 pole-trimmer is a dedicated machine, meaning it is never used for weed-eating (which is what the fs-85 was originally designed to do, lol). ECHO HCR161ES & HCR171ES HEDGE TRIMMER USER MANUAL. For those of you who don’t possess even the most basic technical knowledge, identifying the issue with your hedge trimmer and fixing it can be a frustrating affair. Do this on all 5 bolts. This is also caused by leaving old fuel in the hedge trimmer for too long. Hedge trimmers can come with one of two different power supplies: electric or gas-powered. One thing your motor absolutely detests is when you shove the hedge trimmer into heavy brush. If the trimmer is not secure while sharpening, you may run into more potential hazards. I have to take out the 5 nuts on the blade, use a flat metal tool to scrape the stuff off on both side of the blade. They are the clutch drum and the drive gear. You plan to spend a nice fall or spring day trimming your hedges and then, all of a sudden, you’re left frustrated, not knowing what to do? Why Is My Hedge Trimmer Blade Not Moving? Turn your ECHO PAS power source into a professional-grade hedge trimmer. The gearbox is located near the bottom of the engine, where the blades are directly attached. If so, you will have no other choice but to replace it. Different Types of Hedge Trimmers. Telephone: 01432 381193. If this fails to work, you may need to get the cutters fixed. The frequent use of powered hedge trimmers poses the risk of the blades becoming jammed (and it is highly likely that this will happen to your model at least once). ECHO® hedge trimmers and hedge cutters are perfectly balanced, lightweight and easy to control. The gear case is also a barrier between the trimmer’s operator and the unit’s moving parts that can cause injuries. The blades must not move at idle, otherwise serious personal injury may result. If you don't have the manuel, download from Echo site. The clutch is attached to the crankshaft. Another common malfunction in hedge trimmers are when the blades don’t turn properly. Additionally, a clogged arrestor screen can also cause the engine to start then stop. I hope that you will find these troubleshooting techniques useful. If the blades are not moving, your clutch may be damaged or simply in need of tensioning. Has this ever happened to you? Thing is, the pole-trimmer wasn't really made for that, it works but I found it is better to use a regular hedge trimmer until such time I need the extra height of the pole-trimmer. The two work together to start rotation once a certain level of revolving speed has been reached. Unless you have a considerable amount of knowledge in this area, fixing a broken clutch isn’t really practical. Yes, I’m talking about a clogged carburetor. This happens when fuel is left inside the engine for an extended period of time. HEDGE CLIPPER SAFETY VIDEO - P/N 99922202800 (Not included with unit and English version only) is available for your review and purchase at a cost of $5.00 from ECHO, INC. or any authorized ECHO dealer. Extended Operation / Extreme Conditions Prolonged exposure to cold and/or vibration may result in injury. nothing wrong. If blades move, readjust carburetor according to “Carburetor Adjustment” instructions in this manual or see your ECHO … Are Hedge Trimmers Bad for Plants? Troubleshooting tips for this situation include draining the old fuel from the fuel tank and replacing the fuel filter. If this doesn’t work, the best advice I can give you is either replace the spark arrestor or take your hedge trimmer to a dealer where a professional technician will fix it for you. The exclusive formula contains tacky lubricants to dissolve resins and sap that accumulate along the blade(s) which hinder performance to allow the blades to keep moving smoothly. What commonly happens is that the arrestor becomes clogged with soot over long periods if not cleaned regularly. I have provided you with an image below that shows the two parts. Another common malfunction in hedge trimmers are when the blades don’t turn properly. Again, a clogged carburetor is a common cause of an engine starting fine then abruptly stalling or stopping after a few seconds. FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY. Trimmer Echo SHAFT HEDGE CLIPPER HCA-265 Operator's Manual. The clutch is attached to the crankshaft, and engages the gearbox to start rotating once a certain rotational speed is reached. thanks for the help, 2 exmark hp 48" with ultra vac 1 peco bagger, Thats what we found usually dirt and sap from cutting will bind the blades glad it worked. If you are unsure if you are this procedure properly, refer to the user manual for step-by-step instructions. Wear gloves to protect hands. If the trimmer is secure, it will not move while sharpening. If the blades are not moving, your clutch may be damaged or simply in need of tensioning. Another common factor in a hedge trimmer not starting is a clogged carburetor. Blades are very sharp even when not in motion. • Carry the hedge trimmer by the handle with the blade stopped. After a couple of minutes of running it will sort of half work, it still constantly bogs down when I give it gas and will not reach full throttle. Mend - hedge, blades, not, move Need to mend your Flymo hedge trimmer? Compatible with PAS-225, PAS-230, PAS-266, PAS-280 and PAS-2620. In this case, turn off the trimmer and clean out every bit of debris you find inside. Replace it instead. I highly advise you to hire a professional to get it done. Once that is over, place lubricating spray on the edges of the blades before taking the hedge trimmer from the vice. Gas Hedge Trimmer vs Electric – Which One is Better. I had not run the trimmer into a thick branch or any obstruction during previous uses of the trimmer. The clutch allows the engine to run without always engaging the gearbox. – Common Mistakes Explained. I will examine each issue and explain what techniques you can apply to troubleshoot them. Thank you for stopping by! Use WD-40 to lube the blades often. Do not start if the blades are obstructed by the ground or any other object. Problems with the clutch, gearbox, or blades can prevent the hedge trimmer blades from moving. Periodic carburetor adjustment may be necessary to as- sure blades do not move at idle. 2 Put on leather work gloves to protect your hands from sharp blades. Are Lawn Mower Blades Supposed to be Loose or Tight? If you need more instructions for sharpening your blades, check out this article I wrote. In order to know if a spark plug is faulty, determine that with a spark plug tester. Use WD-40 to lube the blades often. But don’t lose hope – this guide will provide you with the fundamentals of hedge trimmer troubleshooting. The video over- views safety precautions and proper operating techniques provided in detail in the Safety Manual, and is supple- mental to the Safety Manual. While I suggest using troubleshooting techniques listed above to fix this issue, you can also purchase a carburetor repair kit. It becomes very sticky and thus clogs up the fuel filter, which in turn gives the engine plenty of grief. When debris such as heavy volumes of grass or twigs get caught between the cutters and become built up over time, they get clogged. To sharpen the blades, place the hedge trimmer in a vise on a surface with the blades facing up. Hedge trimmer (10 pages) Summary of Contents for Echo HC-30ES. Morning arbtalkers! Afterward, use a damp cloth to clean the blades and grease the cutters with a light oil. This part of the hedge trimmer is a small screen designed to prevent the engine from giving off sparks. The only troubleshooting technique you can apply in this case is to shut off the trimmer and allow it to cool down before going back at whatever job you were doing. After using the trimmer for a day or so try soaking the head in kerosene this has cured the problem for us, it works now. Hi! You must log in or register to reply here. Remember, if you are not comfortable or do not have the mechanical knowledge to fix an engine, motor, etc. Thus, you must regularly clean your hedge trimmer’s carburetor. † Keep clothing buttoned or zipped, and keep shirt tails tucked in. My HC151 got so much dirt cake up in between the blades even using WD40 would not dissolve them. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The blades move when I can get it revving higher than idle, but when I give it gas it just bogs down and doesn't want to come up to full speed. The gearbox works by allowing gear reduction, which transfers rotational motion back and forth to enable the blades to operate correctly. The most common problems pertaining to hedge trimmers not working include: not starting properly, running rough and starting then abruptly stopping. • The operator is responsible for accidents or hazards occurring to other people at their property. Two things will cause the blade not to move. I have an Easicut 6000 XT which jammed. JavaScript is disabled. When that happens, it becomes overheated. Depending on the brand and model of hedge trimmer you own, you should remove the spark plug, and place rope into the combustion chamber to prevent the piston from moving while the clutch is being removed. The way to adjust is to tighten the bolt very lightly, back off 1/3 to 1/2 turn, hold the bolt in place with a ranch, put on the locking nut from the other side and lock tight to hold the loose bolt. This kit provides the essential tools you need for fixing your defective carburetor. I took its blade apart a while ago to clean and sharpen and put it back together When I tightened the nuts the blades were hard to move, so I loosened the nuts a bit which freed the blades - and so last night I lost one of the nuts, prompting this question.. This fuel becomes stagnant – and thick and clogs up the carburetor. Use a rotary tool with a sharpening pad on the end to grind the edges of the blades. If there is a strong spark between the tester’s terminals when the engine is cranking, the spark plug is working fine. The clutch is attached to the crankshaft. I'm Peter, the owner of BackyardGadget. Do this on all 5 bolts. Page 2: Table Of … I havent gone to town on it just yet but have done a few small things to try and get it to work. Black & Decker 18" hedge trimmer, TR1800, has worked fine until yesterday, when I plugged in the trimmer, heard the motor running, but the blades were stationary. My Stihl hedge trimmer blades bound up and wouldn't stroke. it must of been dirt. Echo hca-266 shaft hedge trimmer (40 pages) Trimmer Echo HCA-2500 Service Data. if the teeth are worn off you have found the problem. Hedge Trimmer blades are very sharp and can cause severe injuries, even if engine is off and blades are not moving.
2020 echo hedge trimmer blades not moving