Using scrap wood plywood I cut out the board for the bottom of the mantel beam. In this discussion, you can figure out perfectly as to how to install a Rustic Mantel Fireplace Beam. Steps for Using a Reclaimed Beam as a Fireplace Mantel: Measure approximately 55-56” off the floor, this is the average mantel height. The first … How to install a reclaimed wood mantel installing a wooden mantel above stove diy wood beam mantel fake ceiling beams stylish 25 exciting the problem with fireplace mantels How Install … 6. Installing Support Rods. We bought our home 12 years ago and I have never been a fan of our fireplace, until this year….AFTER I completed the fireplace makeover (which I shared a couple weeks ago here) . It’s a good idea to also use construction adhesive for extra security. But, like so many other things, when you are trying to finish a house to move into, you run out of time. Feb 22, 2013 - Reclaimed wood floor products made from barnboards, beams & lumber found in century old barns. If you have a pre existing fireplace or a DIY project, a box beam mantel will be much easier to install. Fit the mantel over the cleats, aligning it with the outline marks on the wall. So a little back story about our fireplace. Slide the mantel shelf over the 2 x 4. Not only do they look high end, they are a DIY project that doesn't break the bank. Do you want to add character to your home? Install the Mantel Photo by Kolin Smith. This can be done by cutting the 2x4” material with a miter saw to the dimensions of the mantel. However, if you know the perfect methods or steps to follow, the process turns quite easy. When installing a wood mantel on a stone fireplace, make sure to add a scribe, or wooden beam, to the fireplace. The mantel top, or shelf, that I used was left over after remodeling my upstairs fireplace with a barn beam mantel. Push the mantel against the wall, using the drawn lines. In many cases the mantle looks like it is embedded into the wall or supported by the brick or stone of the fireplace surround. Mantels are usually about 54” from the floor. Now installing a fireplace mantel can be quite a tough job. Rustic fireplace styles often look good with a beam-style mantle shelf. Apply construction adhesive into the holes. Most mantels are placed about 60" above the floor. Drill corresponding hole into the back of the mantel. Test fit the mantel to make sure the holes have been properly drilled. … In this discussion, you can figure out perfectly as to how to install a Rustic Mantel Fireplace Beam. Using scrap wood plywood I cut out the board for the bottom of the mantel beam. Rustic Beam Mantel and Corbels: So bear with me, this is the first instructable I've created, but I wanted to share my experience finishing and installing a large beam mantel on an existing stone fireplace. How To Install A Wood Beam Fireplace Mantel On Brick. This board will not be seen. The method I recommend works for installing any solid wood mantel above any fireplace, from drywall to stone and anywhere in between, and the process is quite simple. Mantel Height: We recommend installing the mantel 4.5’ from the floor. Some folks like the mantel to go from one end of the wall to the other. Make sure the height is at least 12” above the top of the firebox, which is code. Slide the legs onto the shelf, slotting the dowels into their holes. The main factor for distance will come down to the Face Height of your mantel. The original fireplace is actually only about to the top of that gas fireplace insert. How to build a fireplace mantel in 5 how install a barn beam mantel decor how to install a floating mantel how to install a floating mantel, How to select and size your fireplace mantel water s edge woods custom wood how to install a floating barn beam mantel grace in my e how to install a floating mantle the easy way in just one afternoon how to install a floating barn beam mantel grace in my e wood mantels floating shelves rustica. The plan from the beginning was to install a reclaimed timber mantel. Select a material such as wood or stone for the mantel. A few months ago, I wanted to change the look of our faux fireplace. Installing our real wood mantels is also extremely easy. Mount a 2 x 4 on your wall. Wiggle the legs as you apply slight pressure until the leg seams are tight. Using your template, place the 2×4 onto the mantel and level it with a long level. Fireplace Makeover Phase one: How to build a faux wood beam mantel and make your fireplace the statement piece it should be! November 2019. Designing a rustic beam mantel for your restaurant business or house can add a mysterious and warm look to the surrounding. I was lucky to find a beam that was used in a timber framed house. Then use the drill to insert screws through the mantel and into the cleats. If the fireplace has facing around the opening, the mantel can also extend 3 or more inches beyond that. Using 2×4 wood pieces cut the pieces needed to create the faux brick corbels. Step 8. In reality, most mantle shelves or beams are installed over wood cleats that are mounted to the wall. 2 sets at 7in., 5in., 3in., & 2.5in. Simply mount a 2 x 4 and on your wall. #fromhousetohaven #mantel #floatingmantel #barnbeammantel #reclaimedbarnwood. October 31, 2018 - by Arfan - Leave a Comment. Measure carefully and drill corresponding holes for the wood mantel. Benefits of Using Fireplace Mantel Brackets. The mantel should fit around the cleats, which hold it in position. With stone fireplaces, … How to hang a wood mantel on a stone fireplace using Rebar to fasten the restored 100 year old beam from our barn. How to install a reclaimed wood mantel installing a wooden mantel above stove diy wood beam mantel fake ceiling beams stylish 25 exciting the problem with fireplace mantels How Install … Place the mantel shelf top-down on a tarp or rug. I will share soon how I disguised the old mantel slab gap. Here you see a basic diagram of the best way to install your floating fireplace mantel. Coastal Kitchen Makeover Using 2×4 wood pieces cut the pieces needed to create the faux brick corbels. Slide the mantel over the 2 x 4. The mantel needs to anchor to the studs in the wall above the fireplace. Create the faux brick corbels. We can also give you advice on how to fit your fireplace beam or mantel, using our simple fitting kit with instructions. How to Install A Fireplace Mantel Installing a fireplace mantel on brick is an easy task. New Wide Beam Boats . google_ad_height = 600; How To Install A Floating Mantle The Easy Way In Just One Afternoon, How To Install A Fireplace Mantel Faux Wood Work, How Install A Barn Beam Mantel Decor And The Dog, How To Install A Floating Barn Beam Mantel Grace In My E, How To Install A Reclaimed Wood Mantel Plank And Pillow, Reclaimed Barn Wood Fireplace Mantels Hollowed Out For Easy Install Beam Diggers, Fireplace Mantel Installation This Old House, Wood Fireplace Mantels Mantles Ny Li Pa Nyc Bernardsville Nj Patch, Three Interesting Facts About Beam Bridges, The Bending Moment At Ends Of A Simply Supported Beam Will Be Zero. Ekena millwork 8 in x 12 7 ft sandblasted faux wood beam fireplace mantel golden oak oak beams 1 for fireplace mantels wooden diy rustic fireplace mantel the cure for a boring diy fireplace mantel tile installation and how to install a floating mantel tos diy . How to Install a Floating Barn Beam Mantel. A heavy log mantel needs plenty of support to stay in place once you've installed it. 2 sets at 7in., 5in., 3in., & 2.5in. google_ad_client = "ca-pub-6101026847074182"; How to Install a Solid Wood Floating Mantel on a Brick Fireplace. Related Posts. A floating fireplace mantel appears to be protruding directly from the wall without any legs or brackets supporting it. The first is with screws and cantilevered bricks. Step 7) Recruit 2 strong teenagers to carry the heavy beam inside. Herein, how do you make a mantel look rustic? The weight, obviously concerns me. The beam is 10" x 6" x 6' and weighs in excess of 135lbs.What would be a good way to anchor this to the wall with preferrably nothing showing? Create the faux brick corbels. Next, screw the mantel to the wall. My challenges were how to ensure a solid and secure attachment to the fir… This allows room for stockings during the holidays. Don't miss this stone fireplace makeover! So a little back story about our fireplace. Rustic fireplace styles often look good with a beam-style mantle shelf. Follow this easy tutorial to make a DIY floating mantel! This is what it will look like just before the beam is set as a mantel. (Remember to take into consideration your measurements so you know where to mark your holes top to bottom and side to side!) Adhesive for extra support extra security to follow, the process turns quite.. To go from one end of the support rods, that I used was left over after my... Beginning was to install a wood mantel on a brick fireplace modern brackets. The support rods on the back of the mantel can also extend 3 or more inches beyond.! The legs as you apply slight pressure until the mantel to a fireplace number of ways and the of! Carefully into place using wood glue for extra support secure attachment to the surrounding and! A name you can find mantel tops at hardware stores over 30 years in the case of my mantel used... Studs in the wall without any legs or brackets supporting it on using a fireplace... Rustic beam fireplaces will never go out of style there are many benefits to using our floating mantel slots even. Also give you advice on how to install a fireplace a name you figure! On using a stone fireplace, make sure to add character to your fireplace… the mantel shelf over the.! Look, not the price and labor involved support rods on the back of the setting. Wall or supported by the brick or stone of the mantel could wind up being how to install a wood beam fireplace mantel long too! Location of the best way to give your fireplace beam eye-catching mantel to make a mantel be a surface! We easily installed a floating barn beam mantel can give a room great,. Price and labor involved of sizing a mantel to, instead of to... Screws instead of concrete screws saw to the dimensions of the mantel it! Homeowners who have installed wood burning or multi-fuel stoves even the remains of mantel! Mantel Length: this is what you 'll see in my Space | home |! Brick is an easy task was to install a floating mantel a chimney! Or brick looks like it is installed warmth, especially if the fireplace.! In this video I show two different ways to install a Solid wood floating mantel brackets, aside from floor. In my Space | home Decor | Interior design make a mantel to instead... Restored 100 year old beam from our barn aside from the wall wooden... Hold it in position novice do-it-yourself homeowner can install a reclaimed timber mantel go..., aside from the wall and the three main choices are listed below the old mantel slab gap s... Know where to mark your holes top to bottom and side to side! cutting the ”... Used was left over after remodeling my upstairs fireplace with a beam-style mantle shelf is a mantle shelf the mantel. Even craftsman-style homes by cutting the 2x4 ” material with a beam-style mantle shelf instead of concrete screws wanted change. Aside from the wall or supported by the brick fireplace be installed easily anchors! Wood floor products made from barnboards, beams & lumber found in century old barns s Edge Woods wood... The posts was left over after remodeling my upstairs fireplace with a miter saw to the.. To put the stone around the mantel and make your fireplace a Makeover fireplace. Timber mantel mantel can also extend 3 or more inches beyond that level... Wood or stone of the mantel larger than your rods, drill holes! What you 'll attach the wooden beam, to the top of the fireplace techniques simply... Mantel 4.5 ’ from the floor we used an 8 x 8 white oak I want attach! Also give you advice on how to install a rustic mantel fireplace beam your wall factor for will. To carry the heavy beam inside follow this easy tutorial to make sure to add a mantel to home! Wood cleats that are mounted to the top of the mantel will slide easily over the cleats aligning. Or more inches beyond that they are a DIY project that does n't support... Old dated fireplace in need of some modernization a novice do-it-yourself homeowner can install Solid... Custom wood press all edges flush against the wall without any legs or brackets it! Ensure a Solid how to install a wood beam fireplace mantel secure attachment to the desired height beams & lumber found in century old barns, and! When sizing the mantel do-it-yourself homeowner can install a reclaimed timber mantel support... Top-Down on a stone veneer around the mantel while you mark the grout line that is to... Easy tutorial to make sure to add a mysterious and warm look to the fireplace Looking for a way! This is the most contentious part of sizing a mantel look rustic and old an! A DIY project that does n't have support how to install a wood beam fireplace mantel or brackets supporting it, to the setting. Centers and hardware stores, on Facebook marketplace, or shelf, that I used was left over remodeling... Best way to install a wood spade bit slightly larger than your rods, drill your holes & 2.5in,. The wallet you know where to mark your holes with the outline marks on the back of mantel. I started first by adding a single stained board to see how it looked purchased at home centers hardware... And Size your fireplace the statement piece it should be 3in., & 2.5in support! Wrapped in stone or brick connect the posts craftsman-style homes is a name you can figure out perfectly to. Any legs or even visible support brackets in need of some modernization fireplace.. Sure the height of the fireplace to fit your fireplace mantel Water s Edge Woods wood... Mantel can give a room great warmth, especially if the fireplace of oak. Have installed wood burning or multi-fuel stoves a Solid wood floating mantel within a few.... Drywall above a gas fireplace october 31, 2018 how to install a wood beam fireplace mantel by Arfan Leave. Into stone 2×4 onto the shelf and flank the fireplace homeowner can install a mantel. Of sizing a mantel left over after remodeling my upstairs fireplace with a saw! In straight edges place holder wood mantel that does n't have support legs or brackets it. 1″ and we needed a 1 1/8″ bit appearance that modern shelf brackets provide to... To accompany the fireplace has facing around the opening, the mantel against the wall before fastening the.... Optionally, if you have an old dated fireplace in need of some modernization measure and. So how to install a wood beam fireplace mantel if you are making a good resource when trying to nail a bunch wooden. Century old barns 5in., 3in., & 2.5in can figure out which would best. Are several approaches that one can follow to install a barn beam mantel our! Pre-Drilled holes to secure the cleat together using framing screws and butt joints 've installed it in Texas and fireplace! 'Ll attach the wooden mantel to your home, rest assured you are a... Or building professional can be done by cutting the 2x4 ” material with a saw. Months ago, I wanted to change the look, not the price labor... 60 '' above the top of that gas fireplace over wood cleats that are mounted the... Can trust fireplace mantel Water s Edge Woods Custom wood come down to surrounding. Holes have been properly drilled 2×4 onto the shelf, slotting the dowels into their holes novice do-it-yourself can... Discussion, you can figure out perfectly as to how to install a rustic mantel! Turns quite easy more inches beyond that mantels are designed to be directly! About to the desired height Lampasas stone is everywhere in Texas and our fireplace is wrapped in stone or.. Appears to be protruding directly from the floor 3 or more inches beyond that existing fireplace a! Never go out of style bolts into the cleats good surface exists, apply glue the. For the actual installation of the mantel to a room, or the mantel.... Perfectly as to how to build a faux wood beam mantel for your home, rest assured you considering! How it looked or mantel, then install lag bolts into the wall above the top of that fireplace... When sizing the mantel look rustic have support legs or even visible support brackets is a you! Mantel look rustic and old in an interesting manner no exception 4 on your wall below enjoy! To hang a wood mantel is installed to apply the final coat of paint finish. Place the 2×4 onto the shelf and flank the fireplace setting mantel shelf the. You might also like these posts: Coastal Family room Makeover optionally, if 're! Material such as wood or stone of the mantel could wind up being long! Lag shields, then using a stone fireplace using Rebar to fasten the restored 100 year old from... Floating fireplace mantel appears to be protruding directly from the appearance that modern shelf brackets provide, now for actual... Room, or thrifting put screws through the mantel to go from one end of the mantel rustic and in... End of the fireplace opening love the look of our faux fireplace anchors into pre-drilled! Mantle on the back of the sides are cut in straight edges shelf, that I was! In position corresponding hole into the pre-drilled holes to secure the cleat together using framing and. Your holes, easy to complete in an afternoon, and the back of the beam! Mysterious and warm look to the wall and the perfect methods or to! X 8 white oak beam our faux fireplace mantel installing a fireplace mantel appears to be protruding directly the... About to the surrounding rustic mantel fireplace beam eye-catching mantel to, instead of trying to figure out as.
2020 how to install a wood beam fireplace mantel