Whatbird Community

Rough-winged?

Southern Ontario yesterday - the bird on the left.

There was a very large flock of Tree and Barn Swallows. At the time I thought the darker birds were juvenile Tree Swallows but I'm thinking now that they were too brown.

I often see Tree and Barn together but don't think I have noticed Rough-winged with them before.

Thanks.

Tree Swallows HVT-7224302.jpg

5 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

Thanks again @akandula, do you happen to know if this is fairly common - Rough-winged mixed in with other species, I have only seen them by themselves before?

Yes, I think it's fairly common. They've been known to mix with many different types of swallows, like Barn, Tree, Cave, Violet-green, etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

They're all after the same food source - bugs on the wing - so it's expected they'd show up in the same places.

Good point Charlie - I'm sure I have not been paying enough attention in the past. I have a tendency to spot a large flock of one species and not look closer to find the one or two other species lurking with them. Although from my limited experience the Rough-winged seem to have slightly  different habits - sometimes more like Flycatchers and also foraging on the ground.

OTOH I wish I had a dollar for every Yellow-rumped Warbler I have tracked trying to spot something different.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Impressive getting 2 different swallows in focus in one photo. I can’t even get a picture with one flying swallow in focus 

Sometimes I get a decent result but often it is a waste of time - they are so darn fast and always changing direction. This one is from the same day - at times they were just taunting me, flying all around me and almost touching.

Tree Swallow m HVT-7224353.jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

Good point Charlie - I'm sure I have not been paying enough attention in the past. I have a tendency to spot a large flock of one species and not look closer to find the one or two other species lurking with them.

I filed a checklist with terns this weekend.  I could nail five of them as Least (lifers!) but had to leave the rest as 'Tern sp.'  Unfortunately, I'd left the camera at home.  They likely were Leasts too, but I couldn't make out enough details to say for sure.

• Like 1