Whatbird Community

Brown, Jay-sized, yet wren-like bird in Ohio?

Yesterday I was doing some landscaping in an area of basically scrub-land, with some sporadic small to medium trees, but mostly open area with a lot of tall grasses and shrubbery. I saw a bird fly up from the ground and perch about 6' in a tree, and to my eye, it looked to be about the size of a blue jay, or a bit smaller, but was brownish and seemed to hold its tail in a very wren-like manner. Are there any wrens that would be this large? It was larger than sparrow sized, somewhere between the size of a robin (though not really robin/thrush shaped) and a typical blue-jay. Any possible ideas what this bird could have been? This was in North-eastern Ohio and was on May 6th. Any thoughts or possibilities I could look into would be appreciated.

As a side note, this area has already been home to at least 3 new bird species for me to add to my life list, including a woodcock and towhee, so it could definitely be an uncommon or infrequent species. So, even if you have a slight possibility, please don't hesitate to suggest anything that could even remotely be seen in my area.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

How about Brown Thrasher?

Taking a look at photos of the Brown Thrasher, that definitely seems like a possibility. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos as I was busy working and didn't have my camera, but I will definitely keep my eye out for this one! (Side note, when I first red your reply I almost refuted it because I was picturing a Brown Creeper which I have seen before but only once. I am glad I did the search for it anyway because I was confusing these two birds!)

7 minutes ago, pcon2009 said:

Taking a look at photos of the Brown Thrasher, that definitely seems like a possibility. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos as I was busy working and didn't have my camera, but I will definitely keep my eye out for this one! (Side note, when I first red your reply I almost refuted it because I was picturing a Brown Creeper which I have seen before but only once. I am glad I did the search for it anyway because I was confusing these two birds!)

Brown Thrashers spend a lot of time on the ground looking for food, often moving leaves or other debris aside to see what's under it.  Brown Creepers are much smaller, more like nuthatch- or wren-sized, and spend much time looking for whatever is living between the bark on tree trunks.