Whatbird Community
MacMe

Small Bird Migration Behavior

I live in South Texas and the birds are currently migrating through.  This morning I went out into an abandoned golf course and found a small grove with ~20 small birds flitting around.  As I manuevered to a spot to take pictures they hopped into trees beyond.  I waited for them to come back for about 30 minutes in case it was me that spooked them.  They never did.  Other birds came into the area for a bit then moved on.  

This started me wondering about the migration behavior of these small birds.  Do they migrate north by mostly hopping from tree to tree.  A steady movement northward.  They did leave the grove to the north.  Or do these birds stop at a place for a few days then take a big move northward.  Another way of putting it is if I go out tomorrow morning and see the same species will they be the same individuals (stopping to rest and refuel for a couple days) or are they new individuals.  Do they approach the southside of a tree, then leave on the north?

To risk over explaining, but I'm unsure if I'm wording my question clearly.  Do these small birds migrate like Geese, who travel long distances in one go but stop and hang out few days.  Or are they more like wildebeast, who constantly move at a steady pace, resting only for short periods.

I believe birds like warblers migrate long distances during the night and stop to rest for a day or more then continue.  So, more like geese.

• Like 1

Once they cross the cross the Gulf of Mexico, I believe most of our transgulf neotropical songbird migrants travel by flights of 100-200 miles or so, at night.

They don’t necessarily move every single night, they may stay in an area for a full day or two to regain energy or due to unfavorable conditions. 

• Like 2