Whatbird Community

New York City - May 12, 2020, late afternoon.  I used the backlight setting for this, but it didn't help. 

It was a tiny bird, fluttering up and down between branch and leaves.

Also, is the bird other photo a Chipping Sparrow?  (Very low light, and moved very fast.)

Thanks, Kami

Unknown3.JPG.748c0bd86df4defd2dbe7d0b39d9696b.JPGUnknown6.thumb.JPG.36aabac077b7826d231090e39aa28d10.JPG1210132989_ChippingSprw.JPG.e177ad41df53ac36e8a4e5d9fd714445.JPG

Agree with Swamp for the second bird.  A Chipping Sparrow would have tan wings and back, two wingbars, dark lores (between the eye and the beak), and no streaking on the flanks.

2 minutes ago, Nivalis said:

bird one struck me initially as a house sparrow

I see why you say that, but the bill shape is completely wrong. It's a warbler, but I'm not willing to venture more than that.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the replies.  My first guess on the Sparrow was a Swamp, but when I saw the deep color on the computer, I thought maybe a Chipping.

The bird in the tree was too small and not moving like a House Sparrow.  I intentionally picked screenshots of it which emphasized the beak.  

Thanks again.

Happy Birding!

I assume that dark stripe down the throat and chest is a shadow.  I see yellowish feet and legs.  Golden-crowned Kinglet?

39 minutes ago, Jefferson Shank said:
  1. Black-and-white Warbler?
  2. Swamp Sparrow

Would be great if it was a B&W Warbler.  I've seen only one in this area, a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I assume that dark stripe down the throat and chest is a shadow.  I see yellowish feet and legs.  Golden-crowned Kinglet?

I think the beak of the bird I saw is longer than that of a Kinglet (just looked at a photo).

I don't think that this is a Black-and-white Warbler. The image is confusing though. There really does not appear to be much streaking, just a very dark top with dark extending down the front of the bird. Or is that black extending more down the bird's sides?

I'm afraid the first bird is unidentifiable, but it appears it is missing some feathers at the base of the bill making the bill appear longer.  By the way, the way it was edited (lightening shadows, I assume) caused the dark line on the breast; notice that the leaves and everything else also have a dark border.  I've seen this happen with my own photos.

5 minutes ago, Sneat said:

I don't think that this is a Black-and-white Warbler. The image is confusing though. There really does not appear to be much streaking, just a very dark top with dark extending down the front of the bird. Or is that black extending more down the bird's sides?

The wide shadow, if it is a shadow, would be from a branch.  I think.

4 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I'm afraid the first bird is unidentifiable, but it appears it is missing some feathers at the base of the bill making the bill appear longer.  By the way, the way it was edited (lightening shadows, I assume) caused the dark line on the breast; notice that the leaves and everything else also have a dark border.  I've seen this happen with my own photos.

Same here, hate the dark border.  But on this screenshot, I can see what looks like very light stripes on its sides.  I tried photoshopping it more, and the body stripes were a tad clearer (not enough to be worth posting).

Just now, KJS-LES said:

Same here, hate the dark border.  But on this screenshot, I can see what looks like very light stripes on its sides.  I tried photoshopping it more, and the body stripes were a tad clearer (not enough to be worth posting).

It may have streaks on its sides, but I believe the actual bird does not have that black line on the breast.  Could you upload the original photos?  Is it alright if I try to edit them?

2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

It may have streaks on its sides, but I believe the actual bird does not have that black line on the breast.  Could you upload the original photos?  Is it alright if I try to edit them?

Give me a few moments.  It's a screenshot of a video frame.

5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Can I email the actual video file?  It's only a couple of seconds.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, KJS-LES said:

Can I email the actual video file?  It's only a couple of seconds.

Not sure...I've never emailed a video.  I upload my videos to Google Photos and send a link.  Do you have something like that?

Edited by The Bird Nuts

Just now, The Bird Nuts said:

Not sure...I've never emailed a video.  I upload my videos to Google photos and send a link.  Do you have something like that?

Yes.  Will do.  Meanwhile, here are a couple of the originals (attached, I think).

Unknown-orig-3.JPG

Unknown-orig-2.JPG

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, KJS-LES said:

Unknown-orig-2.JPG

This photo confirms Black-and-white Warble. Edit beat by @The Bird Nuts!

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Even without editing I can see that it is indeed a Black-and-white Warbler!

Great, thanks!  I'd appreciate it if you can point out what you see for the ID.  All I see is a lot of gray.

Here's the link for the video.  Please tell me when I can delete it!  (I didn't know how to make it visible only for those with the link.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45718806@N08/49891387618/in/dateposted-public/

11 minutes ago, Kevin said:

This photo confirms Black-and-white Warble. Edit beat by @The Bird Nuts!

Thanks!  What do you see in the blob of gray which ID's it? 🙃

Just now, KJS-LES said:

Great, thanks!  I'd appreciate it if you can point out what you see for the ID.  All I see is a lot of gray.

Here's the link for the video.  Please tell me when I can delete it!  (I didn't know how to make it visible only for those with the link.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45718806@N08/49891387618/in/dateposted-public/

It has a black mask with a white eyering, black throat, long black streaks on the flanks, and two white wingbars.  The mask makes it a male.

Does this help?

baww.jpg.fcf80e964672b4cb2302d6af6480d95b.jpg