Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spyonabird

undertail covert

Posted (edited)

This is the only shot I got of this bird.  I was thinking Eastern Towhee but I always thought they had more of a rusty undertails and the black and the white on the tail would be reversed.  It looks like too white going up the chest for an American Robin

Winston Salem,NC 5/13/20

undertail.jpg

Edited by Spyonabird

I was thinking maybe a marsh wren but i believe that is rare for you area right now so wait for more opinions.

• Like 1

also maybe consider a Carolina wren but i think the coloration on the tail is wrong for them

My vote goes to marsh wren as well. With those brown flanks, white undertail, and spiky tail feathers, I'm not coming up with much else. Maybe something like the bird on this checklist? But again, your bird shows an awful lot of contrast, and I don't have a lot of experience with this species, so...

It is rather contrasty, but there's no other species that displays this combination of plumage besides Marsh Wren. The habitat is a bit odd as well, but migrants can occasionally be found in weird places like this. I had a Marsh Wren in Illinois last year during the SBC perching in a deciduous forest, much like this bird appears to be.

158190641.jpg

• Like 1

It didn't really strike me as a Wren.  It was more large sparrow sized.  I may  send this Pic to others to get more opinions.  I will update if I find out more.