Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
meghann

Ducks yesterday, South Georgia coast

I think that these are American Black Ducks! Pattern on underside of the wing matches what I know for ABD and dark body as opposed to female mallard which would be lighter brown I believe. 

• Like 1

Mottled, Mottled/American Black Hybrid, and Mottled/Mallard hybrid are all considered normal at this location. Full on Black would be a lifer for me, but don't know if it can be called or not from these shots. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Either American Black Duck or American Black x Mottled Duck hybrid.

Yeah, that's what I'm torn between and wondering if it can be told which one from these shots.

Looking through these, all three of these bird stand out as hybrids to me. The pale faces, and white on the upper wing outline the blue, none seem to have all the features of a pure American Black Duck.

45 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Looking through these, all three of these bird stand out as hybrids to me. The pale faces, and white on the upper wing outline the blue, none seem to have all the features of a pure American Black Duck.

Pure black would be rare, so it probably is the hybrids, but can you point out where the white outlining the blue is? I'm having a hard time seeing that.

2 hours ago, meghann said:

Pure black would be rare, so it probably is the hybrids, but can you point out where the white outlining the blue is? I'm having a hard time seeing that.

In the second phot of where the bird has it's upper wing facing us, you can see it, it's an extremely thin row of white feathers