Whatbird Community

Northern Rough-winged Swallow?

Mungo Park, Lexington County, central SC.  May 10th, 2020.

The park is an abandoned golf course.  Several of the holes have been allowed to revert to nature and have a few years of wild flowers, weeds, etc.  

I saw this bird high in a tree, at least 40 feet up.  I was unable to make out any details with my binos but was able to pull this shot in.  I'm pretty sure this was a Rough-wined but I've never seen one in a tree or from this angle.  It was around 7:30 in the morning, with the temps still in the mid-50s and the sun just hitting the top of this tree, so I assume the bird was trying to get warmed up to start his day.

Thanks.

image.png.421bc07163db7f1e922477fdf811f0f7.png

image.png.0c91c6d3319a690c7f82b32ff2ca1e4d.png

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I thought you were joking...?

I usually trot out an emoji when I'm joking to eliminate any doubt.  :classic_biggrin:

Oh, wait; I used an emoji in that last sentence?  Was I joking?  Maybe the first sentence was serious and this one is a joke?  I'm not sure any more.  :classic_blink:

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

I know there's a joke in there somewhere. ?

I tee-otally forgot to mention the Chip-ping Sparrows.  They were quite close, not fairway.  The fledglings were verry clubmsy.  Still, it was worth the drive.

:classic_tongue:

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Give them a few months, they will be funnier in Augusta.

Pssh, we'll see. A November Master's, if it happens, will be weird weird weird. The schools are already changing the school calendar to compensate for it and everything.