Whatbird Community

I photographed a pair of ducks this week in South Carolina’s ACE Basin (Bear Island). Are these Ruddy Ducks or another type? Thank you for the ID help. 

A163C06A-E85E-479D-8A6C-DC53AE4FC11A.jpeg

1A2A92DE-4FBB-4E44-80AE-8068D6368288.jpeg

E5C00C9A-FAB2-4239-B3A9-C295ADD20635.jpeg

Posted (edited)

None are Ruddys; they migrated out of SC weeks ago.  They're also smaller and marked differently.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruddy_Duck

I think you have two species here.  The two birds in the first photo and the right bird in the last are different from the bird in the second photo, which is the same as the left bird in the last.  The bills are different sizes and colors.  I don't see a speculum on any, so we may be able to rule out female Mallards; or it could be the light.  The greenish bills may be Mottleds.

Sorry, that's all the help I can be.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

Thanks Charlie. The lighting is different but these ducks were shot at the same time and location. I’m pretty sure they are the same type. Not sure about Mallards. Other thoughts whatbird folks? 

The bird in the second photo is a male Mottled Duck. Yellow bill make it a male and Buffy cheeks, short eyeline, gape spot and under tail coverts look like a purebred Mottled Duck. The other duck has a weird bill. It's hard to tell the color of the bill and the shape is hard to discern due to glare but the plumage looks like a Mottled Duck. Maybe it's the female Mottled Duck and just has a large deformed bill or the lighting is making it look so.

• Like 1

Thank you von Humboldt! It was a pair of Mottled Ducks. It was just the two in this pond. Likely a male and female. 

11 hours ago, von Humboldt said:

Maybe it's the female Mottled Duck and just has a large deformed bill or the lighting is making it look so.

Yeah, that bill threw me.  I had to double check to make sure it wasn't a Canvasback or even a Shoveler.