Whatbird Community
MeInDallas

Daily Visitors In Decline

I know we are coming upon fall harvest time when numbers drop, and I was wondering if anyone is seeing this yet? This same time last year was when I noticed the decrease, and I'm starting to see it again. Up until now it seemed like there were always one or two birds around somewhere, but I have noticed this past week after some summer rains, there are long periods when I see nothing at all. This summer went by really fast for me!

Well, let me look out the back door.  I filled the feeders on Sunday.  Three weeks ago they'd be empty by Thursday, but today they're still around half full.  So I'd say things are slowing down here in central SC.

(This is another good reason to track your sightings in eBird.  You can compare trends from one year to the next.  This has been an unsolicited public service announcement.)

• Like 1

I'll have to check eBird out. Not sure what it is. :classic_biggrin: My feeder holds 5 pounds, and I cant even remember when I added seed to it last. They used to plow thru it in a matter of days.

@MeInDallas, eBird is a web site run by Cornell U., which has one of the top ornithology schools.  You can create an account and record your bird sightings.  There are also apps available to record sightings using a phone or tablet when you're in the field.

The advantage to you is it gives you a free place to record your sightings electronically, and to retrieve the data in a variety of ways - by species, location, date, etc.  The advantage to Cornell is your sightings are combined with millions of others every year to reveal population and behavior trends over time (such as when birds start migrating out of central Texas :classic_biggrin: ).

If you're interested or have questions about using the site, send me a private message.

https://ebird.org/

• Like 1

Cool I'll check that out!! I'm familiar with Cornell, I watch their bird cams on Youtube. I'll have to go look because it would be a good way to keep track. I thought about writing stuff down but it would just be another pile on this desk :classic_laugh:

Last 2 weeks of August my visitors declined 90%+, picking back up since 9/1.    I guess could be migration thing, or something more-natural-and-yummy-than-my feeder-food came out in the area for a few weeks.   Or the hawks are hanging around more. 

Edited by Dan
  • Like 1