Whatbird Community

Do Birds hate changes to their bird house?

So quite a while ago I got a bird house for my backyard. The bottom of it needed duo falling off, but a layer of the bottoms price stayed on. A bird has already started building a nest, and I was worried that the rest of it would collapse, killing the future eggs. So My dad decided to put clamps (on the four corners) to re attach the bottom piece to the rest of. I don’t know if the parents are going to mind that their there? There not super big, yet not the smallest. Are birds going to stop building their nest because of it? I’d also like to note it is a decorative one, made to look like a barn. 

10 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Do you know what species of birds are nesting there?

Anything bigger than a chickadee, sparrow, or robin wouldn’t fit.

Okay, I ask because if it were a non-native and invasive species, I would remove the nest and repair the box.  I suggest finding out what species you have.  I doubt the birds will mind the clamps, but I don't know.

1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Okay, I ask because if it were a non-native and invasive species, I would remove the nest and repair the box.  I suggest finding out what species you have.  I doubt the birds will mind the clamps, but I don't know.

Okay! Thank you so much! 

14 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

2C875EDE-6EF5-4074-86A4-F213E3536862.jpeg

16 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

The bird species I named are native to the area. We have them all the time here. If this helps. 

2 hours ago, Ava said:

The bird species I named are native to the area. We have them all the time here. If this helps. 

You named families of birds, not specific species.  If the sparrows are House Sparrows (Passer domesticus), then they would be non-native.  If they were chickadees (Black-capped or Carolina), then I wouldn't bother them.  It wouldn't be an American Robin as they do not nest in boxes like that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 9:48 PM, Ava said:

Anything bigger than a chickadee, sparrow, or robin wouldn’t fit.

You might be surprised at the spaces some species will jam themselves into.  Most birds don't like a lot of space; it's just more area they have to keep warm and dry when incubating.  Many will nest in the smallest area possible, to the point where the parents often don't fit once the nestlings have reached even a few days of age.

• 2 weeks later...

I have them get into old boots and old tea kettles I have hanging  to put flowers in but the little brown tens took over so I couldn’t plant flowers in them lol .

But love watching the babies hatch and start s life of there own  such a blessing  to be able to have birds  I can hear singing at 5 am each morning  in the spring and summer mths while I set in my swing  drinking my coffee when all else is peaceful .