Whatbird Community

This hummingbird appears to be a subadult Costa’s due to wing projections being longer than tail and it’s size also being about half an inch larger than nearby Calliope. Additionally it’s gorget it purple and has a white eye stripe extending down to the neck behind the gorget down to the neck which is unique to this species. I’m hoping someone can confirm this or offer another identification. Here is a link to the ebird checklist with photos, location, and date: https://ebird.org/checklist/S69189597

14C38447-20F9-4617-B972-59478125E427.png

Posted (edited)

Definitely Calypte (Anna's or Costa's). Its hard to tell gorget color in the photos, but if the gorget feathers were purple, then its safe to call it Costa's. 

The rest of the field marks seem to support Costa's as well. These two species can be underratedly very difficult to ID, but purple gorget feathers are distinctive. Out of range Costa's with no purple feathers on the throat usually require recordings of vocalizations for proper documentation.

There's been a few Costa's this past winter and spring in that general area too, isn't there one currently in Yuba County?

Edited by AlexHenry

That is correct that one is currently in yuba, you can barely see some of the purple in the gorget on the ebird checklist. Just would really like to confirm before posting on ebird due to the rarity.

765F0F78-B8E6-4E80-A0CA-6B93F5A7BCA1.jpeg

This looks good for a costas. I can see the purple in the gorget. All other field marks mentioned earlier also sound good for Costas. I would go ahead and post it, I feel costas is a safe ID

• Thanks 1

Looks purple to me. If it looked purple when you saw the bird, it is Costa's. You should go for it

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Totally agree with everything that's already been said. Unfortunately, Costa's/Anna's is a common problem where I live, but even without gorget I think these birds can be separated. At first glance it'ss definitely giving Costa's vibes- the very short tail and wingtips that reach it, and the very light belly and breast. Between those two field marks I think this is a slam dunk Costa's.

Edited by Benjamin
  • Thanks 1