Whatbird Community

Sparrow, finch, warbler or something else entirely?

1 minute ago, The orange bird said:

WOW! That canary has more red than I've seen on a bird. The bird I saw was more yellow orange with small and thin light brown stripes. Yes, a Baltimore Oriole male is a very good guess. I will check that out.

The canaries vary a lot; some are orange too! Not so sure about the thin stripes though...

I'm still getting a feeling about a female Baltimore too; they are orange too but a duller orange, and not as consistent  - can be brighter in some places than others.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the quote out! It did look like a sparrow, but the canary doesn't have the light brown thin stripes that the bird I saw had.

If something like that happens again you can tag me or send me a message and I'll be glad to fix it.

When I looked up the Red Factor Canary to see the variations, at the "also searched for" part it put the Okeetee Corn Snake. ? I don't know how that is related to a canary. At least the others were actually birds, even though they did not look similar. There are so much variations to the female Baltimore Oriole too. Maybe it was a variation that has the bottom of the tail orange too.

By the way, what's the +5 by the username?

It's your "reputation" score. Kind of a strange system to some of us, but it means how many times people have clicked on the like, thanks, ha-ha, confused, or sad on your posts. All are treated the same way and the system assigns you a reputation "value" based on how many clicks you have. There are obvious issues and I think most of us pretty much ignore it ? 

1 minute ago, Aveschapines said:

It's your "reputation" score. 

I find the name 'reputation' interesting. You can only have good reputation on the forum, not bad reputation. And if someone made wrong ID's all of the time, you would think the would get "bad reputation". Just seems like a weird name. 

29 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I find the name 'reputation' interesting. You can only have good reputation on the forum, not bad reputation. And if someone made wrong ID's all of the time, you would think the would get "bad reputation". Just seems like a weird name. 

I agree! And also any clicks get the same "value", and it doesn't take into account how many posts you've made. Like I said, lot of issues and I consider it basically meaningless.

1 hour ago, The orange bird said:

Yes it is very exciting. They are still building the nest, so there are no eggs yet. Maybe when the babies fledge, we will be able to see them.

If you see fledgling doves, keep an eye on the general area the rest of the summer.  Two years ago I saw three separate broods of fledglings, about six or eight weeks apart, under the same shrub in my yard.

Ok. That is really weird, more than 1 month apart from each other, not related, and yet in the same bush. Well, I didn't see the doves yet, so I am wondering how the nest is going. Also, about nests, a robin came and put a few dried grass strands on the tree in front of our window. It looked like the beginning of a nest, but they never came back to build more. Maybe something scared them away. Also, with the orange bird, I tried it on the website's identification page, and when I put that the primary color of the bird was orange, it showed every other color except tan or buff for the secondary color. Then I decided to switch them around, with buff or tan being the primary, because there was sort of an equal amount on the bird, and when I looked at the search bar, (I think that is what it's called) there were no birds there. So, probably someone's escaped pet that was a finch or sparrow or something. Actually, I didn't yet look at sparrows on the All About Birds page, so I'll see if any are orange or brownish orange.

9 minutes ago, The orange bird said:

Ok. That is really weird, more than 1 month apart from each other, not related, and yet in the same bush. Well, I didn't see the doves yet, so I am wondering how the nest is going. Also, about nests, a robin came and put a few dried grass strands on the tree in front of our window. It looked like the beginning of a nest, but they never came back to build more. Maybe something scared them away. Also, with the orange bird, I tried it on the website's identification page, and when I put that the primary color of the bird was orange, it showed every other color except tan or buff for the secondary color. Then I decided to switch them around, with buff or tan being the primary, because there was sort of an equal amount on the bird, and when I looked at the search bar, (I think that is what it's called) there were no birds there. So, probably someone's escaped pet that was a finch or sparrow or something. Actually, I didn't yet look at sparrows on the All About Birds page, so I'll see if any are orange or brownish orange.

I think the search feature focuses on male plumage. You might want to look up Robins and American Redstarts on other sites, like Cornell's All About Birds, and in any field guides you may have. You can also try the Merlin app. (Be careful about just searching for images on Google; lots of bird photos are incorrectly labeled.) But yes, it could be an escaped pet, although you said it has a very long tail and that isn't consistent with a canary.

13 minutes ago, The orange bird said:

Ok. That is really weird, more than 1 month apart from each other, not related, and yet in the same bush.

Ah, I see I didn't make my point clear.  Without doing DNA tests, I suspect they -WERE- related.  The parents raised the first brood in that immediate area.  Because they were successful, they had no reason to relocate, so they stayed to raise the second and third broods.  That's why the fledglings appeared almost like clockwork in the same spot. 

Edited by Charlie Spencer

3 minutes ago, The orange bird said:

It kind of looks like the Fox Sparrow. Streaked brown and tan, with some orange or red on it too. Even the gray variation looks a bit like the bird. I checked the map and it looks like it can get up here. So... now I am not sure about it.

Can you get a photo? Even a cell phone photo if you can get close enough might help a lot to narrow down the ID.

Ok, so that probably explains why it didn't put a Baltimore Oriole or some other kind of female bird. Yeah, they were probably related, because I don't think some birds would be in the same bush with strangers that are maybe older than them, it's just really weird. Yes, I will try to take a screenshot of the fox sparrow's variations on the website.