Whatbird Community

What a weird bird. No yellow undertail coverts rules out a lot here, and I don't think it's any of the species Connor suggested. It's gotta be a drab bunting, no? What other species can look like this? 

• Like 2

@Jefferson Shank, do you remember what it was doing?  Hunting bugs in the trees would lean more toward warbler, although in spring almost anything will eat bugs to pass the protein along to the kids.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Jefferson Shank, do you remember what it was doing?  Hunting bugs in the trees would lean more toward warbler, although in spring almost anything will eat bugs to pass the protein along to the kids.

Yes , it was foraging in the trees. Flitting from tree to tree.

Edited by Jefferson Shank
  • Like 1

What did the bill of the bird look like? I just don't see how this could be any Warbler. The only species that is this drab and brown overall is female Black-throated Blue, but even then I would expect some facial pattern, which I'm not seeing on this bird.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don’t think this could be a warbler. My best guess is a drab bunting. 

Edited by Phalarope713
  • Like 1

I also agree this is not a warbler. Based on this photo alone, the best I can tell is indeed a female Indigo Bunting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jefferson Shank said:

Female Indigo it is then.

Remember, not all birds or photos can be positively identified.

• Like 2

Timing would be good for Indigo. I saw one on May 20 (they are not common here and my only other local previous sighting was the exact same day last year).

PA would be a few days ahead of southern ON for return date, but as Charlie said..................

• Like 1

This bird looks perfect for an Indigo Bunting to me. That was my immediate thought, and I don’t think it could be anything else. 

• Like 2

I'm seeing just a hint of a white wing patch but as @Benjamin stated, there's no facial markings to go along with a Black-throated Blue Warbler ID. Just for the sake of discussion, is it possible the facial markings are diluted/hidden?

• Like 1

@lonestranger I looked through a bunch of photos of Black-throated Blue Warbler on eBird when I saw this image, because it was the only other species that I initially thought could be a possibility. I know they do not always show white at the base of their primaries, but I could not find any images with a face pattern anywhere as non-existent as this bird. It's unbelievably drab, and I don't think any Black-throated Blue Warbler of any age or sex would be this drab.

• Like 2