Whatbird Community

Bird Habitats - Mountains

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Johnd said:

Mesa AZ 1240ft elevation.

Black Throated Sparrow

Black Throated Sparrow Mesa AZ

Does 1240ft even qualify as mountains? Denver is at 5280ft and is considered plains. Or is there a digit missing? Cool bird and photo no matter what.

Edited by Clip

New Jersey has 89 "mountains" over 1,000 feet, the highest being just 1,803 feet so we're kind of lacking there. These pictures were all taken in such habitat & luckily all the pictured species breed there as well.

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker                                                                                                                                                                    Scarlet Tanager                                                                                                                                                                                    Yellow-throated Vireo                                                                                                                                                                          Baltimore Oriole                                                                                                                                                                                    Blue-grey Gnatcatcher                                                                                                                                                                        Cerulean Warbler                                                                                                                                                                                  Hooded Warbler                                                                                                                                                                                    Blackburnian Warbler

49795975036_2143b79bd8_b.jpg

34524280895_08e7577ae8_b.jpg

49856888093_51d8dcc100_b.jpg

25096258718_9ef0f24780_b.jpg

37151288133_a0db57bc42_b.jpg

47088833134_1e523ee9be_b.jpg

51208854305_5e9ddef509_b.jpg

41043108105_450aabe90b_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

American Dipper at, as far as I know, it's only habitat type which is along or in fast moving streams. Those streams are mostly in the mountains though I did see one in a stream in a western suburb of Denver once. Cool birds that dive into even frigidly cold streams looking for slugs...to eat. They have a filmy white eye covering that comes down when they are in the water. Once in Awhile they come out of water with it still down. While I have seen this eye cover and I think I have a photos somewhere I couldn't find one.

081.JPG

088.JPG

124.JPG

153.JPG

American Pipit-this photo was taken in Colorado near the summit of Mt. Evans. For those who may not know the Summit of Mt. Evans is 14,000 ft above sea level. This puts it above timberline. The American Pipit summers at this location. Unlike the American Dipper that has one preferred habitat this bird can be found in many depending on the season... I have seen above timberline, along the shore of lakes during fall on plains of Colorado and in grassy areas during winter in Florida.

160.JPG

2 hours ago, Clip said:

American Dipper at, as far as I know, it's only habitat type which is along or in fast moving streams. Those streams are mostly in the mountains though I did see one in a stream in a western suburb of Denver once. Cool birds that dive into even frigidly cold streams looking for slugs...to eat. They have a filmy white eye covering that comes down when they are in the water. Once in Awhile they come out of water with it still down. While I have seen this eye cover and I think I have a photos somewhere I couldn't find one.

081.JPG

088.JPG

124.JPG

153.JPG

Sometimes they’re found away from creeks, such as probably one of the oddest records I know of from the county I live in. Dippers are pretty rare here in the first place. https://ebird.org/checklist/S35462848

7 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Sometimes they’re found away from creeks, such as probably one of the oddest records I know of from the county I live in. Dippers are pretty rare here in the first place. https://ebird.org/checklist/S35462848

Interesting! They do fly and I'm sure they probably get away from one stream to fly to another but they don't hang out, feed or nest any where else I'm aware of.