Whatbird Community

I am hoping y'all can help me to figure out what kind of sparrow (at least I think its a sparrow) I photographed the other day.  I noticed the streaks on the breast, but still can't figure it out.  The photos were taken in Central Texas on May 14 in the evening.  I know the one image of the back of the bird is far away, but maybe it will help.  Not sure if it makes a difference or not but the bird is on a cattail on the bank of a pond.  Thank you for your help.

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

8 minutes ago, Jefferson Shank said:

This is actually a female Red-winged Blackbird. Note long, sharply pointed bill.

Wow! I never would have thought to look under that type of bird.  I just assumed sparrow because we have so many around here, but Red-winged Blackbird makes sense because I am able to photograph a male fairly often.  Thank you so much for your help.

• Like 1

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought a female RWBB was a cool sparrow. Even after I knew how to identify them! They always throw me off for a bit. 

44 minutes ago, 3Gbear said:

Wow! I never would have thought to look under that type of bird.  I just assumed sparrow because we have so many around here, but Red-winged Blackbird makes sense because I am able to photograph a male fairly often.  Thank you so much for your help.

If you see a bird clinging to cattails, blackbirds are good first suspects, Red-Wingeds in particular!

• Like 1

I do not have a problem with both birds being a females. What I was really wanting to know is how to tell the difference between female and immature males.

I think certain times of year that can be tricky, although in general the males are darker. So, if a bird seems pretty light, I feel safe assuming it's female.

• Like 1