Whatbird Community

Leucistic/Melanistic Birds

This is in IL. There are other photos with different lighting, but the buffy-ness is still there. Unfortunately, those photos are blurry. The weird thing is, the underparts and the white in the feathers on the back and wings are buffy --every part that would normally be white is buffy. 

8 minutes ago, Trevor L. said:

I can't tell if it's just buffy, if it's the lighting, or what it is. Certainly not a bird I've seen in Missouri. I think some western populations (either Rocky Mountains or Pacific, can't recall off the top of my head) have mostly buffy underparts. Still a cool bird, regardless.

This is in IL. There are other photos with different lighting, but the buffy-ness is still there. Unfortunately, those photos are blurry. The weird thing is, the underparts and the white in the feathers on the back and wings are buffy --every part that would normally be white is buffy. 

Thanks for looking! I have stopped by my friend's a few times hoping to see it with my own eyes, and get a photo with my superior camera. 

19 hours ago, Avery said:

We had a leucistic robin yesterday. Wasn't able to get a photo.

These used to be a partially leucistic robin in my neighborhood, too. I haven't seen it since last spring, though. I think I have a picture.

Edit: Well, apparently I haven't seen it since November of 2020. Dumb moment there for me.

American Robin - Trevor Leitz American Robin © Trevor Leitz

Edited by Trevor L.
  • Like 1

Oh, and it seems I forgot one of my all-time personal favorite birds. For the last few years, there's been an entirely white Red-tailed Hawk (I think male based on the size comparison with another hawk in the attached photo) living near me. Every time I go hiking without my camera, I seem to find it. Just my luck. Here are some photos I took with my phone through my binoculars.

In-flight shot without bins

Comparison with another hawk (suspected mate) through bins

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure if either of these count, but I'm curious to learn more about them.  First, the raven has some tiny white feathers above its eye.  Is that a mutation, age, or something else?  For the Peach-faced Lovebirds, all the other birds had the same coloration as the one of the right.  Why is the one on the left brighter?  Both of these photos are from Arizona.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/397026431

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/395547111

• Like 4