Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
slidinghills

Hummingbird help

This actually might be a Black-chinned which would be a good bird. I'm pretty confident on the ID, but not certain. Look at the tail spread, and see how the middle two feathers are green, not black. That's good for Black-chinned. Is this the same bird in all the photos, because the bill looks very thin for a Black-chinned in the first two, looking better for Calliope. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

This actually might be a Black-chinned which would be a good bird. I'm pretty confident on the ID, but not certain. Look at the tail spread, and see how the middle two feathers are green, not black. That's good for Black-chinned. Is this the same bird in all the photos, because the bill looks very thin for a Black-chinned in the first two, looking better for Calliope. 

The photos were all taken within minutes of each other. I think they are all of the same bird but I am not 100% certain. I don’t have feeders in my yard. The bird was feeding in a willow tree outside my kitchen window.

Calliope and Rufous are expected around here but I thought there might be a chance this was a Black-chinned.

Edited by slidinghills

Just now, slidinghills said:

I think they are all of the same bird but I am not 100% certain.

I'm pretty sure they're different birds. Look at the difference in bill thickness from the first two and the last photo. 

Here are more photos (as well as repeats of the original three). The first 3 photos were taken through a window. The 3 photos of the bird perched (with the bill appearing thinner) have a solid white background behind the bird (and are cropped more) which may be contributing to the appearance of the bill losing some thickness in the photo. With that said, I can't say for sure that this is only one bird in all of the photos.

P1470245.JPG

P1470242.JPG

P1470244.JPG

P1470248.JPG

P1470250.JPG

P1470251.JPG

P1470253.JPG

P1470254.JPG

P1470256.JPG

Definitely Black-chinned. Good find. The dusky cheek along with gray crowned and bill shape is obvious in this bird. The first two photos in the first batch are Calliope. Also attached is a photo of it's tail spread in the hand. Note the first three feathers from the end are white, on with black, and then one green. This repeat's on the other side. This is not my photo, I couldn't really find any good tail spread photos.

824706180_ScreenShot2020-05-23at3_59_49PM.thumb.png.38ede06454ec7e6d6ba7647e7738406a.png

• Thanks 1