Whatbird Community

Great Egret eating a ...?

Hi all,

Seen today by SF Bay. I apologize that I am asking for help in identifying this Great Egret’s lunch rather than the bird itself. It seems to be some kind of flatfish, but I am amazed that it is so small. 

Many thanks,

Mark

0BD4C2BE-33F5-4BE2-AC92-830B086B57A6.jpeg

2C5F1A8E-2E5E-4896-91FA-CDF281E5128A.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aveschapines said:

Welcome to WhatFish! 

Couldn't it be a young fish? I've heard that flounder start life with eyes on both sides of their heads and one eye migrates to the top side when they hang out on the ocean floor. I am now about 50% above my knowledge of fish.

Yes, that sounds right. I guess they gotta start small. WhatFish — I like it! 😄

Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aveschapines said:

Welcome to WhatFish! 

Couldn't it be a young fish? I've heard that flounder start life with eyes on both sides of their heads and one eye migrates to the top side when they hang out on the ocean floor. I am now about 50% above my knowledge of fish.

You heard correctly.  I’m not sure how old they are when they transition. 

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Aveschapines said:

OK! I didn't mean it was a flounder - I know how to cook fish but not identify it LOL! I just noticed it was round and flat and only one eye was showing.

It probably is a Halibut. I fish the bay and that's what they look like, just 10 times bigger. I really don't know the difference between them, all I know is we don't have flounder in the SF bay.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

It probably is a Halibut. I fish the bay and that's what they look like, just 10 times bigger. I really don't know the difference between them, all I know is we don't have flounder in the SF bay.

Cool! If you ever need someone to clean, de-scale, gut, fillet, and cook your halibut give me a call 😄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Thanks!

Best fish and chips I ever had was a brew pub in Manteo, NC.  The waitress said the pub had made a great deal on flounder at the dock that morning, and was it okay if they substituted that instead of the usual white fish.  Beer-battered flounder at the regular cod price.  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Best fish and chips I ever had was a brew pub in Manteo, NC.  The waitress said the pub had made a great deal on flounder at the dock that morning, and was it okay if they substituted that instead of the usual white fish.  Beer-battered flounder at the regular cod price.  :classic_biggrin:

you had me at "brew" 😄