Whatbird Community

I need an ID on a shorebird sighted outside of Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, on May 24, 2020. It was on the shore of a pond with a number of waterbirds (Garganey, Mallard, one Shoveler), gulls, terns, and shorebirds (plover, Common Redshank, and unidentified sandpipers). My safest guess would be Common Redshank, but the angle of the shot and length of the neck threw me off.

mystery shorebird.jpg

10 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I don't know much about birds in Kyrgyzstan, but looking at what lives there, I believe Common Redshank is the best option.

Thanks for the input. Here's a picture of a CR from about 100m away...comparison for plumage.

Common Redshank-2.jpg

Hmm... I think I would call this a Spotted Redshank based on the thinner bill, prominent white around the eye and grayer coloring.

3 hours ago, birdbrain22 said:

Hmm... I think I would call this a Spotted Redshank based on the thinner bill, prominent white around the eye and grayer coloring.

I assume you're talking about the second picture (of the whole bird)...interesting. My first thought when seeing it in the field was that it was a spotted due to length of the bill and legs. However, I went with Common as it is more likely here, and due to the pattern on the breast. I just measured ratios of bill length to head width on the pictures on eBird, and found the ratio closer to the SR. I'm confused, though, as to the plumage, which is nowhere near breeding for the SR. This is the first time I've gotten a good look at either species, so I welcome the input of others! 

Common Redshank-3.jpg

Common Redshank-4.jpg

Common Redshank-5.jpg

Common Redshank-6.jpg

Common Redshank.jpg