Whatbird Community

Most interesting bird, never seen before but think it is a type of thrush as very distinctive mottling on the breast and a prominant white eyebrow.  White dots on the wing bars.  Looked it up in the bird book and the nearest thing would be the Dusky Thrush but not found in our part of Canada.

Posted (edited)

Pam, welcome!  What part of Canada are you in, eh?  (Did I use 'eh' correctly?)  What colors are the body and wings?

Edited by Charlie Spencer

This sounds like it could be a female rose-breasted grosbeak. I have seen them eating oranges at our feeders.

• Like 1

Several birds to look into would be female Rose-breasted Grosbeak (or Black-hearted Grosbeak if you live in western Canada). Also check out female Red-winged Blackbird.

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Whatbird! Just a thought...could it be a young American Robin? The mottling on the breast and white dots on the wing bars would fit. 🙂

Edited by lonesome55dove
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

(or Black-hearted Grosbeak if you live in western Canada).

Autocorrect?  Should be Black-headed Grosbeak. :)

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Autocorrect?  Should be Black-headed Grosbeak. 🙂

I like my version better 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Autocorrect?  Should be Black-headed Grosbeak. :)

Is that the problem they had when they created this sign? I found it while birding the other day!

IMG_5758_1.jpg

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, lonesome55dove said:

Welcome to Whatbird! Just a thought...could it be a young American Robin? The mottling on the breast and white dots on the wing bars would fit. 🙂

That was my thought too. Plus @Pam Webb Thwaites thought it looked like a thrush.

• Like 1

Usually it is just orioles at this feeder but yesterday there was a bird about the same size, mostly greyish, but with a buff coloured tummy with darker spots, rather thrushlike pattern.  However his most prominent feature was a white eyebrow that extended the full length of his head.  What bird?

I am in Quebec.  It could not be a grosbeak as it has a straight beak.  Not sure about the robin juvenile, but honestly do not think so, i have seen them before.  What about the prominent white eyebrow?

@Pam Webb Thwaites glad the mystery has been solved. American Robin's are in the thrush family so you were right on track. I expect most of us have  been ''ambushed'' by juvenile or young birds as they look ''full grown'' so therefore they must be something new.  🙂

1 hour ago, Pam Webb Thwaites said:

Oh my gosh, this is it!  Who knew?  So different from the adult.  Thank you so much.  Thinking thrush, I am very ignorant, such a common bird too!

I merged the two threads to keep your feedback in one place and avoid confusion.

Another thing about juvenile thrushes (and some other birds) is that they change a lot over time, so sometimes you need to look at a lot of photos to find one that matches your bird more closely. If this one keeps coming back you can watch him or her grow into adult plumage.