Whatbird Community

BIJ4OeD.jpg

Photographed this little shorebird Last Wednesday at the Oak Hammock Marsh here in Manitoba.  

• Like 5

Gorgeous photo!

That's a Semipalmated Sandpiper. Note the short bill and black legs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, akandula said:

Gorgeous photo!

That's a Semipalmated Sandpiper. Note the short bill and black legs.

I have trouble distinguishing Semis from Sanderlings if I don't have some size reference. Any pointers?

11 minutes ago, cvanbosk said:

I have trouble distinguishing Semis from Sanderlings if I don't have some size reference. Any pointers?

Good question. Here are some tips:

1. If you see a Sanderling at close range, you can see that it lacks the hind toe of a Semi.
  2. In nonbreeding plumage, Sanderlings have clean white breasts. In breeding plumage, Sanderlings have spotted breasts. Semis usually have streaked breasts.
  3. Semis have a slimmer midsection than the chunky Sanderlings.
  4. Sanderlings are sometimes a different primary color, depending on the time of year. In full breeding plumage, they’re redder than Semis, and in full nonbreeding plumage, they’re grayer than Semis.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, akandula said:

Good question. Here are some tips:

1. If you see a Sanderling at close range, you can see that it lacks the hind toe of a Semi.
  2. In nonbreeding plumage, Sanderlings have clean white breasts. In breeding plumage, Sanderlings have spotted breasts. Semis usually have streaked breasts.
  3. Semis have a slimmer midsection than the chunky Sanderlings.
  4. Sanderlings are sometimes a different primary color, depending on the time of year. In full breeding plumage, they’re redder than Semis, and in full nonbreeding plumage, they’re grayer than Semis.

I've been immensely appreciating your wealth of birding knowledge.  A great asset to have on these forums!  👍

• Like 1