Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
gpoole

Wanting to name this Least Flycatcher?

Good afternoon. I took this photo today in Nova Scotia. My best guess is a Least Flycatcher. Am I close?

IMG_7466.JPG

IMG_7464.JPG

1 hour ago, gpoole said:

Am I close?

I can say YES to that part...  outside of that... hmmm...
I'm not great with the empids...  the eye-ring doesn't impress me here... not enough to say it's a least(though it could be).  I don't know how to rule out alder... looking at bar charts for nova scotia this time of year... lease is most common right now, followed by alder(only reason I mentioned it.)
https://ebird.org/barchart?r=CA-NS&yr=all&m=

What was the habitat like? I've found least flycatchers, here in Arkansas, just about anywhere but, typically, have only found alder flycatchers near water. And IF they vocalize, sometimes that's the only thing that helps me. When they're quiet, I get frustrated... those empids are tricky birds.

Hi folks. Thanks for your thoughts. It made a single "sclink" call about every 15 seconds and was high in the canopy of mixed forrest mostly calling from hardwood trees (birch and maple). I'm just glad it's a flycatcher.

That's got it! I checked the All About Birds site and listened to the call of the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. That was exactly the sound of the bird I was watching. Thanks ever so much for your direction and guidance. If I'm coming to this well too often, just say something and I'll dial'er back. Don't want to wear out my welcome.

• Like 1

If I'm coming to this well too often, just say something and I'll dial'er back. Don't want to wear out my welcome.

Don't worry! Bring em' on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

other than a slight yellow(which, I can never tell if it's just the picture or not) what specifically makes this a yellow-bellied? That one is on the bar charts for that area, but a lot less common than least and alder...  when I hear them, I can either know it right away or use a brief playback to confirm my suspicion...  but, I want to get better at just looking at them and knowing and, they're just SO difficult... so, any help on the ID of this bird, how people come to it, I'd appreciate it. MAYBE... just maybe I'll remember what you say. 🙂

4 minutes ago, millipede said:

other than a slight yellow(which, I can never tell if it's just the picture or not) what specifically makes this a yellow-bellied? That one is on the bar charts for that area, but a lot less common than least and alder...  when I hear them, I can either know it right away or use a brief playback to confirm my suspicion...  but, I want to get better at just looking at them and knowing and, they're just SO difficult... so, any help on the ID of this bird, how people come to it, I'd appreciate it. MAYBE... just maybe I'll remember what you say. 🙂

Least have a much stronger eyeing. Look how this is incomplete. Traill's always has a distinct white throat, which contrasts with the rest of its body. The throat on the bird is close to the same color as the body, which point's to Yellow-bellied. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Least have a much stronger eyeing. Look how this is incomplete. Traill's always has a distinct white throat, which contrasts with the rest of its body.

I knew that about the least... Based on pictures I've seen, I wasn't sure that it was ALWAYS so bold, but knew that trait. Didn't know about the throat... I'll TRY to pay more attention to that sort of thing. Thanks