Whatbird Community

On the Birding in Massachusetts group on facebook... someone posted a couple pictures of a woodpecker... it has the marks on the tail of a downy...  but that bill...  seems a bit BIG for a downy... but perhaps a LITTLE small for a hairy?  Any chance it's a hybrid? Thoughts on the bird??? I'm confused... ha.

Back side/tail feathers

and the bill...

This is a Downy Woodpecker. It has spotted outer tail feathers and lack a black "shoulder spur." The bill looks large due to the absence of feathers at the base of the bill.

Downy x Hairy Woodpecker hybrids are extremely rare.

Ot is nice to see you back @millipede! I haven't seen you post in a while.

1 minute ago, millipede said:

In case those links aren't working right...

They work for me.

4 minutes ago, akandula said:

The bill looks large due to the absence of feathers at the base of the bill.

Thanks... and that makes a lot of sense. I thought it looked odd there but, didn't examine it carefully enough to consider that.

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

nice to see you back @millipede! I haven't seen you post in a while.

Thanks... yeah... my life is... well... hectic to say the least. I get sucked into too many parts of the internet and forget some... and, actual real life has been chaotic since at least Christmas, to say the least. 😞 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, millipede said:

Thanks... and that makes a lot of sense. I thought it looked odd there but, didn't examine it carefully enough to consider that.

Thanks... yeah... my life is... well... hectic to say the least. I get sucked into too many parts of the internet and forget some... and, actual real life has been chaotic since at least Christmas, to say the least. 😞 

I was just thinking about you and your daughter yesterday. Hopefully, the chaos will subside and you can fit in a little birding.

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

*It*

not sure what that means...

4 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Hopefully, the chaos will subside and you can fit in a little birding.

sometimes, the end to the chaos seems like it would take a miracle. 😞  But, birding still happens some. So as to not drive the wife batty, I try not to go out often... But when a tricolored heron shows up 90 minutes away... in Arkansas... you can't stay home. Only saw it a couple minutes but was well worth the drive. That was my most recent life bird, just within the last week I think.  And, I go outside to do yard work and(mostly unfortunately) I often do more birding than working. Can't help it sometimes. HA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, millipede said:

And, I go outside to do yard work and(mostly unfortunately) I often do more birding than working. Can't help it sometimes. HA.

Guilty as charged :classic_cool: