Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  

I was in brushy habitat on the edge of an airport in the country.  Northernmost county of WISCONSIN, lots of woods and lakes here.  A strange buzzzz buzz sound, from up in a pole-sized oak tree.  I actually thought it could be some kind of insect.  But, I heard it again and again.  I waited patiently, shielding my eyes...it was hidden.  Finally the bird flew out, to a nearby pole-sized white birch.  About 24 feet above the ground. It had a Buffy colored breast.  I didn’t have my binocs, but around the eye area it looked dark...maybe a brownish back.  The first buzz is longer than the second buzz.  It was about the size of a sparrow...I’ve birded a lot, but this sound is new to me.

Welcome to Whatbird!

I noticed you said you didn't have binoculars.  Are you sure the bird you saw was the source of what you heard?  Like you, my first thought was an insect.  Have the cicadas started emerging there yet?

Welcome to Whatbird!!

I've heard House Wrens make a sound that could be describe as buzzing.They usually have another song(s) that goes along with the buzzing sound. Did you hear any other sound/song along with the buzzing?

I continued to listen/read/research the sound I heard, and now I’m convinced it was a clay-colored sparrow.  They fit the range, behavior, habitat, color..and sound.  Although the one I listened to repeated the buzz sound in double repetitions, the info says they may give 2-4 buzz sounds in a phrase.

• Like 1

Clay-colored Sparrow was my first thought upon reading location, habitat, and description of song.

Thanks, Alex!  Once I found the bird on IbirdPro, it fit the habitat (edge of an airport) and the description perfectly..(sounds like an insect). I am very happy.