Whatbird Community

You are right about the round feeder - and the green feeder.  I started those feeders out with a cheap generic feed from Fred Meyer's which turned out to be nearly useless.  The suet feeder has a peanut/seed blend which the flickers love.  The dove can't land on the green feeder, but seems to want to hang around in eternal hopefulness!

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Chickadee Fledgling? said:

I started those feeders out with a cheap generic feed from Fred Meyer's which turned out to be nearly useless. 

I didn't want to lecture or preach, so I'm glad you already figured that out.  Generic seed mixes are mostly stuff backyard birds won't eat.

Those round reddish-purple seeds are milo.  It's cheap, which is why the manufacturers put it in generic mixes.  Most of the birds that eat it are game birds you're not likely to have in your yard - turkeys, pheasants, grouse, etc.  (No, using won't attract game birds if they're not already in the area.)  Your doves will eat it, but they'll eat anything.  Ya know who else really likes it?  SQUIRRELS.  Basically you're spending a relatively small amount of money to have the birds you lwant toss food out for the doves and the 'tree rats'.

The other round bits are millet.  It's popular with some of the birds you're likely wanting to see - cardinals, juncos, chickadees, etc.  However, it's usually a secondary ingredient in generic mixes and you pay for a lot of milo to get it.  Birds that eat millet will also eat other things, such as ...

Black oil sunflower seed ('BOSS' to us feeder freaks) cost more but almost everything eats it (including the birds that eat milo and millet), so your money isn't being thrown away.  If you want to get fancier, there are mixes with nuts and fruit bits.  With any mix, check the label.  If milo and millet are the first ingredients, put it back on the shelf and spend your money on something the birds in your yard will actually eat.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

It is very hard to beat BOSS.  And it has become so inexpensive compared to 5 years ago.  You can now get a 40lb bag of BOSS at Tractor Supply for 18 bucks.   Unfortunately, squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, opossums and other undesirable animals also love BOSS so you have to take that into account with your feeder setup. 

• Like 1