Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Scott A

Orange headed Blackbird ?

Hi ,new to this- Scott from Smoky Lake Alberta, after a little research I have not been able to identify a blackbird - they look EXACTLY like a yellow headed blackbird , markings, eyepatch, white half moon on the wing, same size  BUT their head is bright ORANGE !  I’ve seen at least a dozen of them ( swamp area) Haven’t been able to catch a picture yet but I’ll keep trying. 
  Any body know what I’m looking at ?

Welcome!

I'm from Alberta as well, Airdrie area, and I've seen a few of these by lakes and little marshes, but always just assumed they were yellow-headed blackbirds with odd lighting. They aren't Orioles of any type I don't think, they literally look the exact same as the yellow-headed blackbirds other than the head colour, I'm interested to see if that's what they are or if they're an entirely different bird!

Can confirm -- southern Alberta here as well. Pretty sure these are yellow-headed blackbirds with just a bit of color variation, especially if you are seeing them in the same sort of marsh areas or within the same colonies as the other blackbirds. Let us know if you catch a picture!