Whatbird Community

Small chicken like bird

I may be asking for a miracle here, but after an exhausting search scouring bird id books and apps, I thought I'd give it a shot. In the past week I've have twice seen this bird in a canyon in Lincoln Co. WA.  My first impression was that it looked like a small chicken.  It was a rich reddish brown color and its tail fanned out in flight revealing an orange stripe tip.  It was larger than a quail but smaller than a pheasant, and it flew like one - taking off and gliding down into the tall dry grasses.  Does this ring a bell to anyone out there?? 

Just now, Louie said:

I couldn't find a picture of either of those with an orange tipped tail. 

Just so you know I figured Gray Partridge would fit because fanned out, they definitely have a bright orange tail and depending on the angle it could look like just the tip was orange.

Just now, Melierax said:

Just so you know I figured Gray Partridge would fit because fanned out, they definitely have a bright orange tail and depending on the angle it could look like just the tip was orange.

Ahh, thanks I've been stuck on that stripe that may not have been a stripe at all! And  I have seen Gray Partridge here in the past. 

Well, after reviewing pictures of both the Gray Partridge and the Roughed Grouse, I'd have to the color of the bird was more like the Roughed Grouse.  Thank you both for your help.  Hopefully I'll get another look at it now armed with info to guide me to a clear ID.  Thank you for helping out a rookie, you all are the best!!

• Like 1