Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Clem

American kestrel ? in Mojave Desert

Not a bird we see much out here in Yucca Valley Ca. I have seen a few but they were much smaller then this. That's my water hole and the pan is 12" round. Photo was captured from video so the quality is just so so.

C0002_Moment(2) 1.jpg

C0002_Moment(3) 1.jpg

Yes,  that is an American Kestrel. No other North American falcon has the blue/red color combinations like that.

• Like 2

Seconded. The 2 black slashes on the face are distinctive. The brown wings and streaked underparts/tail make this a female.

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

@Chris Clem, what's the purpose of your 'water hole'?  I can't figure out all the poles and pipes and nets!

Ha Ha.... It has evolved since I put it in 12 years ago. It is basically a enamel pan with a swap cooler float to keep the water level full. The 1/4" copper tube is the water line. The problems are the Coyotes would turn over the pan, so I put tent spikes to hold it down. They also love to steel the blue plastic float so I added the the 1/2" metal tubes with the hardware cloth to cover the float. They had taken that float about 10 times, but so far this has stop them . This is a very popular place for all the animals and birds, they all know right were it is. Out here in the desert you better have water out if you want the wildlife to come around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I figured out the hooked spikes.  It didn't occur to me that it would refill automatically.

I lived in Vegas in the '70s, so yeah.

Beware size estimation of birds, unless one has extensive... no, EXTENSIVE experience with the species in many places, in many situations, in many lighting conditions, etc. We humans suck at eyewitness testimony -- there is a huge literature proving that.