Whatbird Community
nevsar

Northern Waterthrush? (Sound only)

Posted (edited)

Can you confirm if this is a Northern Waterthrush? Taken today (in MA). Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a yellow warbler with a different variation of its song.

Northern_Waterthrush.m4a

Edited by nevsar

I don't think it's a Waterthrush because it's not rich enough of a sound, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Thanks Benjamin for your thoughts. I haven't reported this bird to ebird yet (and I'm glad I didn't). I'll wait for more folks to chime in.

I have another audio (from a different spot) which I'm more confident is a Northern Waterthrush. But I shouldn't be 🙂 So let me start another thread for that bird.

6 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Sounds better for an Indigo Bunting.

I take that back...I think this is also an American Goldfinch. :classic_wacko:  Indigo Buntings are sweeter.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I take that back...I think this is also an American Goldfinch. :classic_wacko:  Indigo Buntings are sweeter.

Yeah, that's it, I don't know why that didn't come to me. American Goldfinches and Indigo Buntings trip me up in the field all the time just because they're so variable and can sound so similar to both each other and many other species.

• Like 2

Thank you. Another common bird I see, and whose two sounds I know, but not this song. Hope to remember this next time on the field.

2 hours ago, Bird-Boys said:

Lucky

Are you referring to the Bunting or Goldfinch?

Sorry, should have been more specific. I meant the bunting, we don't get them too often out here in Cali.

• Like 1