Whatbird Community

Not Sure.

25 minutes ago, akandula said:

I'd leave this as passerine sp.

19 minutes ago, Phalarope713 said:

Agreed. I don’t think you’re going to get a definitive ID from this picture alone

Definitely.

Edited by Kevin

3 hours ago, Creeker said:

actively going branch to branch, which no flycatchers do. Flycatchers go out and back

Thanks Creeker, this was one of the things that caught my attention - there is a nesting pair of Phoebes at this location and I thought initially that one of them was acting a little strangely which caught my attention. I'm almost certain (95%) it was about the same size, not warbler sized but I know the size guesstimate is not always reliable.

There were four or five sightings of Yellow-rumped in early June for the county so not impossible but I've only been seeing Yellow and Redstarts recently in this area.

I think a young (as in juvenile) bird is maybe unlikely as it was so proficient for the time of year here.

Is there a Phoebe sized bird that has some spotting/streaking on the undercarriage? A thrush unlikely?

@AlexHenry, the thread is hanging on by a thread 🙂.

For whatever it may be worth, warbler was my first thought, and Yellow-Rumped because of the streaking on the underside. Behavior make me think of Tennessee but yes, lots of warblers are very active.

I'm a little confused by "flycatcher size", but I see flycatchers from small empids to Great Kiskadees so that may mean more in other environments.

3 hours ago, Aveschapines said:

For whatever it may be worth, warbler was my first thought, and Yellow-Rumped because of the streaking on the underside. Behavior make me think of Tennessee but yes, lots of warblers are very active.

I'm a little confused by "flycatcher size", but I see flycatchers from small empids to Great Kiskadees so that may mean more in other environments.

Thanks for the correction - for whatever reason (slow learner?) I tend to think of flycatchers as one size up from warblers, sloppy on my part. In this case I was comparing it to the nearby Phoebe I was seeing at the same time.

I agree that the streaking and behaviour suggests Yellow-rumped but no other county sightings for at least ten days so probably best to move on.

One thing I have learned is that when Akundula suggests it is a lost cause I should pay attention.

Thanks again to everyone for the input.

• Haha 2