Whatbird Community

Pregnant Ruby-throated Hummingbird?

I don't really know either, but I wonder if it's muscles and an unusual body position creating that effect. I don't think I've ever heard of birds getting noticeable bulges when they are carrying eggs, except in the case of egg binding - when the egg can't be expelled, which is a serious health issue for the female bird. I wish there were other pictures to see if the bulge is real or just an effect of the bird's position at the time of the photo.

The bird might easily have an egg in its oviduct. Eggs are not created in the few seconds or minutes before they are laid. Single eggs represent a substantial percentage of a female bird's body mass and they take time to produce. Granted, nowhere near the amount of time for a placental mammalian youngster to reach that comparative size. Though I've never seen this, even in the hand, though I've done very little breeding-season banding, it seems a plausible reason for the obvious bulge. Unlike with Arnie, it might be a tumor.

• Like 3