Whatbird Community

Identifying an Unknown Bird(?) Call

I hope this is the right place to post. I only have audio files of a bird(?) call that I cannot identify. I'm not sure what animal is making this noise but I believe it is most likely some bird. I don't have much information other than I live in Southern California and the sounds last anywhere between a few seconds to half a minute at a time. The noise usually occurs anytime between 8pm to around 4am and can be heard up to 2 times a night.

One file is a longer but quieter recording of the noise while the other file is a shorter but louder recording of the noise. I have my suspicions that the calls come from an owl or large bird but I've never seen what it comes from. 

Long but Quiet.mp3 Short But Loud .mp3

Sorry for the poor recordings but I never know when exactly the sounds occur at night so it's based on luck whether I'm fast enough to catch the noise. Also, I used my phone to record because it is the only means I have of recording, so I can't really get a louder/more decent recording. In person it sounds basically the same but noticeably louder and closer.

I also wish I had a better/louder recording but this is unfortunately what I'm stuck with. Do you have any ideas of what that noise could be?